Sad day for stick shift lovers. | FerrariChat

Sad day for stick shift lovers.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Island Maser, Sep 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Island Maser

Island Maser Karting

Oct 6, 2009
    Gig Harbor
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was killing time in Seattle today meeting someone buying some car parts. Stopped by FoS
    to see what they had new. The floor was as full as I have ever seen it. Lots of inventory.
    Not 1 single car had 6 Speed Manual! The day is here much sooner than I antcipated.

2. detailjohn

detailjohn Karting

Sep 4, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    John
    That does make for a sad day..

3. dgrtone

dgrtone Karting

May 3, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Chris
    makes for a very sad day

4. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Yes, it is a shame...but ALL car makers are going that way..including Lamborghini as of 2012.

I HAD to pull teeth to get my last 2011 560-4SL in a 3 pedal verison...but as long as I live, there will always be a 3 pedal version in my showroom.

5. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's no spark-advance lever option either!!

6. dgrtone

dgrtone Karting

May 3, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As much as I hate it, can't fault the manufacters for going away from the manual transmission, the numbers speak for themselves, sales have been greater then even now that you don't need to know how to drive the car in order to buy one.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And how does that make the ownership experience better?. I can use a microwave but I don't get any enjoyment out of it.

Instead of making cars so any *****head can drive it they should be making cars that are more fun to drive.

There is no car enthusiast model anymore ... very sad day.
    Pete

8. Island Maser

Island Maser Karting

Oct 6, 2009
    Gig Harbor
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I can see for racing and track days or someone who can't row the gears. It is getting too much like a video game. You just dial up automatic and let the computer do its thing. Now there is some big time fun. Agree 100% Pete. Look at the cost of maintaining the F-1 and see why they like selling them so much. Can you say ongoing profit center. Ok, only if you actually drive the car which involves putting more than 9999 miles on the car.

9. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Is the issue really manual vs. automatic or manual gearbox+clutch vs. torque converter? Maybe the observation could be "wow what technical progress cars have made!"

10. Island Maser

Island Maser Karting

Oct 6, 2009
    Gig Harbor
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Some may call it progress. I think of it more of big brother stepping in and taking away our choices. Let me decide if I want a stick or an automatic. I see Mercedes is pushing there new automatic braking system. Your not paying attention or fall asleep at the wheel and the car stops for you with sensors. Maybe you should not be behind the wheel at all.
    We are good at compensating for the can not's and and forcing the cans into the same box.
    Not progess in my book. When I want to stop I will stomp on middle pedal thank you. I had an accident in my old Z06 because of the computer. I ran with it off except in hard driving in the rain. Forgot to tun it off one day and needed to make a guick turn to avoid a car. Full lock turn to the right and the car went straight as an arrow. Not what I wanted to do at all.It is what the computer wanted to do. Came to stop fast and straight. I could have easily made that corner faster in my truck with 35's and 6" liift. I saw it some computer program was a little to agressive on his computer programing. You find out way to late. Personally you can have it. Ask Toyota how well that is working out for them with the accelerator no matter if it is the computers fault. Then you have the cost factor. Now I have to pay for something I do not want and pay too much to keep what I do not want running properly.

The good news is Ferrari is building the only one that really works like it is suppose too. Has anyone driven a Lambo with an E-Gear lately. Wow, was like 1998.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If all automatics worked the way the Ferrari F1 system does, I'd be much happier with automatics. However, that's not the case.

12. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    A sad day indeed. It will be interesting to see how much of a permium that stick shifts will take over the f-1 cars over the next 10+ years.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Nail hit.

This is exactly what is happening. They are paving the way for driverless cars. There would be an outcry at the moment but as they sneek this technology in one day it will be a small step that the "sheep" will accept.

No way will I ever own a car that brakes for me. Traction control I can accept but I want to be in control of my car thanks.
    Pete

14. FerrariJones

FerrariJones Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Seattle
    Ferrari doesn't make an automatic transmission anymore. Didn't that end with the 456?

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Paddle shift is still an automatic, just doesn't use a fluid flywheel. I believe most cars you can put in auto mode and it changes for you ... anyway.

Even if you move the paddles yourself you are asking a computer to change the gear for you ... you are NOT changing it, you are simply a data input to the computer it then computes and automatically changes the gear for you. Whether it is instant or not there is still a computer making the choices.

But then with fly by wire throttle you are not opening the carb/throttle body butterfly anymore, you are asking a computer for more and it decides what to do ...
    Pete

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I disagree-- while it's true that the F1 doesn't have a torque converter, having a torque converter is not, IMO, a requirement for an automatic. It shifts itself and it operates the clutch-- hence it is an automatic.

By your logic, are the dual clutch "automatics" made by many car makers automatic?

17. FerrariJones

FerrariJones Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Seattle
    I was under the impression that they were manual gearbox's with a hydraulic actuator that shifted for you, after the driver input. They do have an automatic mode to them...

I think the point is that it is not the traditional manual transmission any longer. I was just asking about the automatic transmission statement...which, IMO, is not an automatic

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    When a gearbox shifts itself, I would argue that it is automatic.