458 Italia Impressions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Italia Impressions

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BritBlaster, Sep 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Appreciate that, thanks.

Is "OK lah" coming from the Liverpuddlian expression? (If so, are you familiar with "The Las"?)

I have some pics, but I think it'd be better to wait for your shots. Mine won't do the car justice.

Thanks! Unfortunately I will be doing a Barrier event on Saturday morning, so won't be able to make RTC this weekend (probably the last, huh?). I'll bring it out to Belle Pastry though soon..

Another couple of comments after ripping the snot out of it a little bit last night.

"OMFG".

It feels like it has the same power/weight ratio as the 599 (approximately the same as a Saturn-V rocket is my guess). Whereas the 599 felt like it could "get away from you", the F458 feels planted, disecting the road like it's a surgical instrument. However, whereas I could plant the throttle to the floor in the Scuderia and enjoy a rip up to redline in 1st, 2nd, 3rd doing so in the F458 exceeds exhilerating (think: "rollercoaster") and moves dominantly into involuntary defecation (think: "skydiving, then realising you've forgotten your parachute").

The F458 has so much torque, it's really surprising. In auto mode it's in 7th at 30mph (seriously) yet still pulls strongly if you squeeze the throttle (flooring the throttle will result in an immediate 4-gear down shift and invoke sufficient acceleration to burst capilliaries in your eyes).

It is also extremely comfortable. Coming across the I-90 bridge last night at extra-legal speeds (the driver not to be named here to protect the guilty), the car was as quiet and comfortable as my S4.

2. CrazyRuskie

CrazyRuskie Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Vasiliy
    Congrats, Paul! Enjoy it to the FULLEST.

3. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    Nice going Paul..............so when do I get to drive it? :D

4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    WOW!! It sounds like it's an absolutely INSANE ride.

Congrats, Paul. You're a lucky lad.

5. djhex36

djhex36 Karting

Apr 5, 2010
    Bellevue, wa
    Full Name:
    BB
    If I may request a picture, the one where you stiched the two halves of the scuderia interior, that would be amazing to see with his new 458 interior..

6. atomic80

atomic80 Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Where it always rain
    Full Name:
    Jason T
    That's the plan! :D

7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Congrats Paul! See you Sat morning.

8. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #33 BritBlaster, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    EVIL :):)

10. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Well, how much do you miss the Scuderia??

11. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A ton. I wish I could've afforded both. With what the divorce will cost me over the next four years (not including child support), I could've bought an F458, an F40 and kept the 430 Scuderia. Oh well, even considering the cost ... it's still excellent value!

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is the right attitude my friend!!

13. djhex36

djhex36 Karting

Apr 5, 2010
    Bellevue, wa
    Full Name:
    BB
    Would be cool to see you write a detailed report on what you liked more about the scuderia over the 458 (If any) and vice versa, after a few more miles with the new lady in red.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    What a tease! It looks amazing so far!!

15. Lawin

Lawin Karting

Jul 23, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Larry Nguyen
    congrats paul! i am not going to lie, this car is growing on me more and more.

16. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Since I can't make E@RTC today, I'm going to go to Belle Pastry (in Bellevue) this Sunday (tomorrow) around 830am. If you'd like to see the car in person, swing by for a coffee and pastry and say "hello!".

17. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Congrats Brit.

18. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    I suspect it's a mechanism not unlike a Jake Break in a semi. Ferrari has always had "engine-braking as you state" at high rpms and I believe it's the way the Engineers control the high chance of over-rev. With 3 pedal cars and light fly-wheels (gt3 cups or road going CGT's) when you down shift with a rev match when done correctly the car stays uninterupted. If you do it without a rev match carrying too much speed the rpms slam to the limit and engine does everything possible to slow the car to the correct speed/rpm. If done wrong tires can lock or your engine can seize. F1's have no third pedal and driver rev matching (although in standard 430's you could give a quick throttle blip where the Scuds are too quick for it) to aid in this process so Ferrari has created your engine brake to take the speed out of the car and add a fail safe to extend engine life.

19. atomic80

atomic80 Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Where it always rain
    Full Name:
    Jason T
    #44 atomic80, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a chance to drive Paul's 458 earlier this morning and will share my impressions later but I wanted to leave you guys with two pictures of his gorgeous interior! Paul, your new toy is magnificent! Thank you again for the opportunity! Stay tuned for more pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. silversurfer

silversurfer Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Bobo
    Congrats Paul, much congrats. Drive in the best health!

21. djhex36

djhex36 Karting

Apr 5, 2010
    Bellevue, wa
    Full Name:
    BB
    OMG those pictures are incredible!

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    For some reason that interior reminds me of something I would have seen in a futuristic space ship movie as a kid. Of course in real life it really does belong to a rocket ship so I suppose it's fitting isn't it!

Looks amazing and great pics Jason! I'll have to have you show me that trick some time if you don't mind sharing it!

Congrats again Paul, wish I could make it in the morning but have plans.

23. vincentdds

vincentdds Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Congrats Paul. Looking forward to your write up on the 458 spider in two years and then the 456 Scud after that ;)

24. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Gorgeous Paul. Interior looks spectacular.