California Steering | FerrariChat

California Steering

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rainforest, Oct 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    I'm surprised nobody else has really brought this up in the forum, but does anybody else feel that the steering is too light in the California? Aren't sports cars supposed to have more road feel, and hence taughter steering? This is one criticism that several people who have driven my car have mentioned, and to be honest, I didn't have a very good answer for them.

2. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    i respectfully disagree. the steering is fine--similiar to the modena or the porsche turbo.

i thought that the steering in old ferraris like the testarossa made them too difficult to use, especially as gt cars.

3. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    +1

Drove her 180 miles today and loved the steering. Tight when she needs to be, and relaxed and easy when she doesn't. GT is what it's all about with this car. If someone wants a track car, they need to buy a race car, not a GT.

77 degrees and beautiful blue skies. Top down, sheer joy...

4. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    I don't really have a problem with the steering, but many people who drove my car have made such a comment. And I have to admit, the steering is as light as my Lexus. Is this normal? I thought that sports cars are supposed to have more "road feel".

The second criticism I get is that the side bolsters are too tight, and that the seats are uncomfortable. I already released the pressure in the bolsters, but passengers still say the seat is uncomfortable for long periods. For myself, I am very thin and hence cannot even feel the bolsters when set to their tightest setting. Pretty sad. Gotta work out more.

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I thought I was too fat for a California. The seats for me are painful.

6. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I would prefer a slightly heavier steering myself on the California. It's a bit too light for me as well.

7. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    So that's why hubby says he doesn't like them! Well, Pilates is helping him with that...:)

8. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    +1 I love the seats and find them quite comfortable, but much more so when I'm driving than just "passengering'!

9. ARED4RE

ARED4RE Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Yes, steering too light (although you get used to it) and Daytona seats too tight ( and you don't get used to it).

10. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I, personally find the steering feel appropriate. It is definitely lighter than my 360 was. It does seem to have a similar feel to the 612. Yes, the side bolsters are too tight for me as well. I blame myself for this, though, as they would have been comfortable for me 10 years ago.

11. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Steering is perfect, very light at very low speeds, and as I remember, stiffens up as you go faster. At 140 it seemed just right.

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Steering feel is actually something Ferrari pays close attention to when they are developing the model. What you get in the California is what Ferrari felt was appropriate. Just as the more 'sporty' 458 features more agressive and quicker steering.
    CH