Battery Tender | FerrariChat

Battery Tender

Discussion in '360/430' started by Markjayw, Oct 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Again Winter unfortunately is coming. I bought the C-Tek charger when I bought my 360, how are you guys hooking your batteries up if you don't have the pre-wiring? Are you connecting at the battery, or at the jump start location behind the driver's seat. Does the battery need to be completely disconnected to charge? What is involved for a DIY pre-wire set up, if anyone has photos if they have done it themselves?

2. Chiicago

Chiicago Rookie

Oct 6, 2010
    #2 Chiicago, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    I just posted a pic to this exact issue in Q&A, I believe it's the new owner question... Personally, I hit the switch and remove the battery, easy and safe.

3. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    I use a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Works perfectly on all my cars.

4. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark Wetzel
    Ok, let me throw out a third (and fourth) way. I've either used the supplied clamps and gone to the battery. Or I've clipped them off and crimped on round lugs. Then I've mounted the box wherever it fits based on which vehicle. Oh and yes when using the clamps it generally is on a vehicle with a battery that is actually accessible and is obviously a temporary setup.

5. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    with the 360 you can plug into the lighter to keep the charge.
    the 550/575 you cant . my 430 has prewiring to battery

6. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    what type / name brand of charger do you use that plugs into the cigarrete lighter?

7. India Whiskey Charlie

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    #7 India Whiskey Charlie, Oct 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine is a Porsche branded charger which I have owned for more than 15 years. I have one for each of my cars that sit for more than a week at a time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
  9. 4EverRosso

4EverRosso Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Erik
    +1

I hard wired a quick connector to the battery that I then plug into the charger as necessary. Works great. Quick and easy and the quick connect and wire hide easily under the passenger dash when not in use.

10. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, it's a nice tender. Mine is hard wired, too. It's hooked to the terminals under the panel behind the driver's seat.

11. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ok 1 more question. I found an adapter for my CTEK 800 to plug into the cigarette lighter. Do you need to keep the battery switch in the trunk on to keep power to the lighter or turn it off when you are charging?

12. India Whiskey Charlie

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    Yes, the factory battery switch (knob) must stay on. In other words, all you have to do is plug the charger into the cigarette lighter and shut the door.

13. dksu

dksu Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    David
    My car came with the factory batter tender. I know that it plugs into somewhere under passenger dash. But I can't seem to locate the terminal? Where is it? I've looked everywhere under the passenger dash. No luck. Is it possible that my 05 f430 didn't come prewired for battery tender? Maybe previous owner bought the factory tender after?

14. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It may be behind the kick plate in the passenger footwell. That is where the battery is located, so remove the plate. It will then be obvious if the charger is hard wired to the battery.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #15 tazandjan, Nov 14, 2010
  16. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    I have a 3 prong pigtail coming out from behind the 360 driver's seat. Anybody seen that before? Not sure what I would hook to it. Bill

17. dksu

dksu Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    David
    Unlike what what the picture depicts for f430, I found the hookup in the luggage compartment. In the compartment right below the driver side windshield.

18. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    +1 My 2006 430 was in the luggage compartment below the driver side. PITA.

19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #19 Bundy, Jul 9, 2011
    The earlier F430's (2005 and 2006, I believe) were available with an optional factory battery charger (the clunkier one mentioned by Taz above) that DO connect where dksu and Jeff suggested. The photo below is from a 360, but the set-up is the same for the earlier F430's.

My car is a 2005 with the factory charger, but I've switched to a CTEK model, connected in the passenger footwell like in the later F430's, to make the process easier.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Best way to charge the battery IMO is with a BT+ directly connected to it. I hardwired my new Optima with an extension BT pigtail, and routed it up and thru the right 'hood' hinge (along with the windshield washer hose), and looks factory. It was a PITA to route it since there's a second firewall, but found a vent and was able to fish the wire thru. Under the hood's edge (next to the windshield) is the best location to avoid a muddy connector (it's protected, but still), plus don't have to kneel down nor open the car to charge the battery.