Paint correction on my 458 | FerrariChat

Paint correction on my 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by StephenB, Oct 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    I don't know about other black 458's but the factory paint on my car was a mess. The orange peel was terrible and when I mentioned it to the dealer I was told that they are all that way.

I had the paint corrected by one of the best detailers in the country. He has been written up in Autoweek and is a local legend. I posted pictures of it the other day http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299804

Check out this amazing write up with everyingthing you ever wanted to know about paint correction.... http://www.belladetailing.com/ferrari1.html

2. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    It's amazing how bad the cars are arriving to the dealers in. Quite frankly, the factory is hurting themselves sending out cars in such poor condition.

I was so disappointed with my 458 that I too had the paint corrected. Two days of work to fix the problems. Now the car looks great.

What did your dealership say?

3. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    The before shots and after shots are equally amazing (for different reasons, of course). Unbelievable the quality of the paint in the original pics. And then that last but one pick with the refections in the bonnet. Looks worth every penny that the work cost. Stunning.

4. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    that is a great write up - only if there were someone close to me that could do this work - I have a few cars that need some love,

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Same here, I wish I had someone out here that could do that on a couple of my cars.

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    This 'Todd' also gets great results that would make even the most fussy Ferrari owner smile! Very professional write-up with illustrations about what is done and also why it is done to.
    Thanks for the link Stephen.
    CH

7. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Check out Josh Ottmann.

http://ottmanndetailing.com/

Thanks for the compliment regarding the write-up :D

I believe Jason from this forum (luv2detail) or Joe Fernandez www.superiorshine.com are amazing detailers in your area and I have sterling reputations!

Thank you for the compliments :D

8. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks for the referral Todd, I actually have a new site up, just launched it last week at www.showcarproductions.com same everything, just different domain name but either link will get you to the right place ;) .

Amazing work as always Todd and excellent write up too.

Josh

9. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    Little feedback... Tried to view your site on a iPad and no luck.

10. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #10 JoshVette, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    I just clicked on the link and it pulled up right away, don't know what to tell you it pulls up fine on my Iphone.

11. jack1999

jack1999 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2003
    toronto
    just read through the whole thing

what a time consuming process
    turn out amazing

12. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    yup, i don't see why they should be different than any other ferrari ... they all have terrible paint.

13. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    amazing job on the correction. i have seen so many write ups. this one really takes the cake.

the results are nothing short of miracle.

14. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    The write up is ridiculous it is a PHD in paint correction...

15. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    +1

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    A dumb question possibly, but would a car with corrected paint fail a concours event as the paint finish is no longer to factory spec?.

17. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'm no concours judge but think of it like this, if someone accident dented a panel at the factory and someone pops that dent out after delivery would that make it non original?

The paint is not being resprayed or changed, it is only being refined. Most factory paint jobs are sanding and polished in the factory before they ever leave so I wouldn't think this treatment would effect it?

If you're going to think that then you could also say if any wax or protections is applied it's no longer completely original....

Josh

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been a chief FCA concour judge and I wouldn't deduct.

19. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    Wow the final pictures make that hood look like a glass mirror. I am amazed at the clarity and sharpness of the reflections of the sky and trees off the hood.

20. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I was wondering something similar. If you purchased a car and stored it still in the plastic, ie for collector value, would it harm the value to detail the car? I mean if you could point to paint defects and point out their factory original-ness, would that be a good thing?

21. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    It would depend on what we consider 'defects'....

If we are talking about the orange peel... perhaps it could be a deduction. The Corvette guys are very serious about their classics and how they are judged and I have heard of more then several restorations getting knocked because the paint was too flat and too glossy. (ie the factory lacquer on a '67 was pretty rough).

By the same token, if we are talking about things like DA sanding marks, swirl marks, and scratches, then I don't think so.

When the Ferrari is first painted, it is literally flawless (minus any runs or sags in the paint). So is the car born after it is made and first hits the roads or is it born after it is scratched by the terrible washing techniques at the factory? Swirl marks are simply not inherent to fresh paint, they are added after by: the factory workers, the shipping companies, or in most cases, the dealerships.

That said, the 458 is sure to be produced in large numbers and I highly doubt that having paint leveled and gloss dramatically increased is going to have any negative effect on the price of the car because it is going to reduce the chances of the owner placing a platinum next to 70 other 458's in a concurs event 20 years from now. Also the Ferrari's with custom ordered colors seem to have significantly better texture, and Ferrari is famously inconsisent with their paint quality, car to car.

Removing the factory texture on the carbon matting of an F40 would be terrible, but making an 458 shine like the work of art (which it is) it was designed to be is a non-issue, IMO.

Thank you to EVERYBODY for the compliments regarding the write-up and work, although in the end I am happy that Stephen is thrilled with his 458 and that we both think it looks the way it deserves to be.

Todd

22. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    ^ Your work must be incredibly satisfying. Stunning job on this 458.

23. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    I love what I do! I have just spent the last 3 days polishing and resurfacing an original paint Lamborghini Miura LP400 (in blue :D) and before that Bruce McClaren's personal road car (1 of 1, the Godfather to the F1). I wish I could be as passionate about finance :D

Thank you for the compliments

Todd

24. rscholl

rscholl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Houston,TX
    Josh Ottmann in Dallas, www.showcarproductions.com, does this type of work. He travels in Texas. You might try him. He does minor stuff to full paint correction. Recommended by the main detailer on www.detailedimage.com. They also have some great writeups on specific issues done to specific cars. Great writeups on a new 458 and an F40.

25. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    All of us who work in offices now hate you! :)