opinions | FerrariChat

opinions

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Spdrcrj, Oct 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    FC members,

I've been more active on the forum for about the last year, picked up a good job that will allow me to afford an Fcar (in a year after a couple other financial goals are met)/maint, and am looking at possible an early year 430 or CS. However, my closest independant Ferrari service center is an hour and 15 mins away with the nearest dealer being in Atlanta (about 5 hours away). With the F1 issues Ive been reading about, would you own an Fcar with service that far away?

TIA,
    Jim

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    That is definitely a concern, but not a big one. Your car will be out of warranty so I would let your independent do the service and repairs. An hour away isn't that big of a deal.

I will only take mine to the dealer for the 5K, 15K service, etc when the warranty expires.

F1 owners do seem to be on this forum with some complaint all the time. I was deadset on F1 transmission until I drove both. I went for the manual.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #3 UroTrash, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

1. Are you kidding??!! 1 hour 15 minutes? That ain't far!

2. Get one of these:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My service is 3.5 hours away.

They had to come get the 355 once and put it in a trailer. Not had any problems like that with the 360.

1.25 hours is a piece of cake. If they won't give you a loaner you can rent a car or have someone follow you over and drive you home.

May the horse be with you.

5. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not saying an hour fifteen is far at all either. But 5.....yeah. Smithmotorworks in Panama City is the closest for me. Was just wondering how far is "considered too far".

Thanks for the replies guys.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

All the more reason to make sure you buy a well sorted car from the start. There may be a guy willing to come to your place for piddly stuff? Just dive in when you're ready, the water's fine.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Closest dealer is two plus hours for me. Independents are even further. Only a few times in five years have I left the car overnight. I can usually kill the time by getting stuff done in Denver that I can't do in our little town and they always give me a loaner, even overnight. I stayed overnight there twice. If I were in dire need, they would send a trailer. Renting a room once in while is a pitance compared to the overall cost. My 430 has been very reliable, but I do have a stick. Judging from Fchar posts, most problems with 430s are with the F1 system although I understand problems are still very few. Get what you like with the understanding the paddles may be needier.

Dave

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Both independent and Ferrari Dealer are the same distance for me (2 hours away), but that didn't stop me.

9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Having a dealer far away is part of owning a Ferrari. Mine is 4 hrs away.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    For the first 8.7 years of my F355 ownership the Dealership was 3.2 hours away, now its just 17 minutes away.

11. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Isn't there an independent Ferrari mechanic in nashvegas? In Hermitage? Otherwise, Atlanta I guess.

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mines 400 miles.

13. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    How refreshing. most people with questions about buying an Fcar pretty clearly signal that they cannot afford it (of course they can spend nearly all their discretionaly income on one object, but i would never suggest it).

I would not let the distance to a dealer deter me. That kind of problem is just part of the fun. For majors the dealers may well flatbed the car at their expense. If you have to pay shipping, it will be a minor add on (a few hundred). It will add character to the experience.

When the truck with the SF shields arrives to pick up you car for an oil change and the neighbors gather around and echange comments, you will be rewarded for your fortitude in going ahead with the purchase.

14. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Mine is about three hours away...I dont worry about it.

PDG

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ferrari is a mistress... forget the practicality.

You may quote me.

16. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    +1 to all the good doctor has said.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    That's 45 minutes in a Ferrari

Luddites unite !

18. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    Mine is 2.5 hours away. I don't mind the drive at all.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    My closest Ferrari dealer and independent is over 20 hrs drive away. :(:(

Lucky I can fix my car myself. :eek::eek:

20. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Hell, here in SOCAL, an hour and 15 minutes may only be 30 miles. :).

Oh yea, and get a stick. Much more fun.

Darrell.

21. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Nearest Ferrari dealership to Winnipeg, Toronto, way too far, Calgary, a couple days drive, or Minneapolis, 8 hours and an Internation border crossing. Continental Cars in Winnipeg though has DVDs of ALL car service manuals available and services exotics, as does Euro Cars also in Winnipeg. I think any competent mechanic can repair an exotic with the service manual DVD or am I dreaming? I might pick up a used '07 or '08 Quattraporte someday, with no dealer within 8 hrs, is that risky?