328 DIY Timing Belt Job Complete, Sort Of | FerrariChat

328 DIY Timing Belt Job Complete, Sort Of

Discussion in '308/328' started by PT 328, Sep 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    After reviewing numerous timing belt replacement threads and using the DIY written descriptions from Birdman and MyRob 1 I decided to tackle this for the first time on my own. My last belt change was May of 2005 and, unfortunately, I could not find a tensioner bearing change on the service write up so those were changed as well with the upgraded Hill Engineering bearings.

I ordered my belts, bearings and miscellaneous gaskets from Daniel at Ricambi. I also ordered bulk Taylor 7mm ignition wire and connectors from Dave Helms. Both orders arrived prior to the start of this weekend.

I took most of the car apart yesterday and completed the ignition wire assembly. This morning I started back at it. I had to wait for a neighbor to return to get an extra pair of hands to appropriately tension the belts. With that complete and the timing belt teeth lined up, as well as the timing marks remaining as they should up I started the reassembly process, which will be completed this week with after work hours. So that is why the job is complete, sort of.

I want to thank Rob and Birdman for their excellent write ups as well as Daniel at Ricambi and Dave Helms for the parts.

In a few weeks we will be taking it to the coast for a three day weekend with piece of mind for another 5 years. (fingers crossed)

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Excellent, I did mine 6 months ago, and driving strong. Enjoy the process. It sure is rewarding to get in there and do it yourself.

3. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Thank you for the endorsements.

We are very concerned that our efforts at documenting proper maintenance procedures are satisfactory, so please let us know how your how well your belt replacement went. BTW, I haven't seen the Hill Engineering bearings, but would assume that they fit the tensioner hardware as would be expected. Hill does a great job at bringing quality from the past to the present.

We would enjoy some pics of your trip to the coast as well.

Certainly, we are here to help and ensure you enjoy your Ferrari! I am enjoying mine.;)

Enjoy the miles,

Rob H.

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    #4 PT 328, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    Rob, It went well. My difficulties were moving the AC compressor out of the way, removing the lower bolts off the front timing belt cover, and removing one of the tensioner bearings off the pulley. Other than that your and Birdman's write ups were spot on.

I have yet to replace the timing belt covers so if you have some advice on those lower bolts I would appreciate it. I will probably get to it tomorrow night as it is still 100 degrees outside. Having done this once I am certain it will take less time 5 years from now. The best part was my fabrication of cam locks for the high price of $4.94.

I will post pics of our weekend upon returning.

Thanks again.

5. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Dan,
    Good effort.

Can't really advise with reinstalling the cover. Just take your time and don't force stuff into place. The fwd bank is a PITA if you have to navigate around AC. Also, the fwd tensioner pulley is, as you certainly see, thicker and thus harder to reinstall. If it's the AC getting in the way, have a helper hold the compressor and move it around for you while you focus on managing with the bolts, etc.
    Rob

6. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    PT 328...would you have a dimensioned drawing or sketch of the cam locks you fab'ed? Looking to have those ready before starting on my belt & tensioner R&R. Thanks.

7. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I can send them to you if you want. All I did was was use some very thick metal washers and a bolt running through them. They held very tight and I had no worries of any movement. Total cost $5.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Having done this once I am certain it will take less time 5 years from now"

Then you have a far better memory than I do. I can't recall how to use Microsoft excel if I haven't used it in the last 3 months! :)

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Dan,

By chance, did you take any pictures of the new Hill tensioners installed? It would be nice to see what they look like, fit and finish, on the car.

I did my 328 belts this past winter, before the new bearings were available. I used the SKF bearings, and they are running fine. But probably on the next belt change, I'll switch to the Hill bearings.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Steve

10. Declan1

Declan1 Karting

Mar 15, 2007
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #10 Declan1, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a matched set and belts in traisit from Daniel, will post a pic by weeks end to compare. He is what 6 Years and 15k look like. Please excuse the 5 buck Lowes cam locks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I didn't know they sold Ferrari cam locks at Lowes :D.

Good job, BTW.

12. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Sorry Steve,

I was too excited that they were on and since I was on a roll I just started putting it back together. I will take pictures next time, five years from now. :)

The sad thing is we didn't take the car on our trip to Sausalito as my wife was bringing too much crap and she wanted to shop, plus it was raining.

13. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I am being optimistic. Positive thoughts.

14. Declan1

Declan1 Karting

Mar 15, 2007
    Stuart, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #14 Declan1, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rear bank installed not tensioned, front to follow tonight. Hope the pictures are what were needed. Great service from Daniel's team as usual, ordered and shipped on monday arrived wednesday afternoon. Removed old belt and tensioner, cleaned greased assembly, new Hill Engineering Bearing pushed on assembly with ease. Extremely light weight compared to OEM bearing.

Declan1

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Every time I see that nearly 90 degree angle of the timing belt/tensioner I ask myself what the heck they were thinking. Had to be a marketing decision, not an engineering one. I guess it just had to meet the "will it hold together long enough to make it past the warranty period" criteria. Really flaky design...

Yes, the cover and associated parts would have to have been wider to cover the straighter run but it wouldn't have had to be as deep since there should have been a chain there as well...;)