Stratos v Dino | FerrariChat

Stratos v Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Apr 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #1 abstamaria, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear all,

I drove the Dino and the Stratos one after the other last Sunday and described my impressions briefly in the "Other Italian" section of FerrariChat.

It is amazing how two cars that are so closely related can be so different. One is not better than the other - just different! If one must get a companion car for the Dino, I would recommend the Stratos highly.

Ciao.

Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

equally jewel like as the dino!!!!!!! you have fantastic taste in cars!!

3. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Lucky ......! Wonderful experience to drive those two on the same day. I love both of them.

Onno

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #4 abstamaria, Jul 26, 2009
    I wanted to drive the Dino this morning to take advantage of a break in the rains. Not possible, the battery was flat. I'm disappointed in its Optima battery, which is just 3 months old and charged monthly (Iwon't buy one again). Got into the Dino, which started after a few tries on its tiny, 3-year old Varley racing battery. Went for a spin - the ferocity of the Stratos is startling - and noticed a red nose with a Cavalino shield siddle up to me - a friend's lovely Testarossa. That sounded good too!

I left the Stratos on the driveway to clean it up a bit and snapped this picture from the back of the Dino.

Andy

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    How bout some more pics please.

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #6 abstamaria, Jul 29, 2010
  7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    You lucky man.

I have often fantasized about having a garage with a Dino, a Stratos, and a Fiat Dino. One glorious engine, three very different driving experiences.

Cheers,

Julio

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    You should upgrade the suspension to GR 4 specs. It is amazing how much better the car grips the road over a stradale. Night and day difference!

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, Racerboy9, I was considering that. I still have the original suspension on, including the dampers. Did the ride harshen up with GR4 suspension?

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    There is always a little trade off with heim joint susupension but the ride is not bad at all. I think Compomotive reproduced the 15" rally rims in aluminum. You can modify the stock arms for the uniball joint or I think Roberto Cassetta in Italy has remade the comp arms. The Bilstein shocks front and rear are available though you might be OK with the stock shocks. The Gr 4 suspension set up really makes the car feel planted and not twitchy like the stradale.
    I totally enjoy my stradale but the Gr 4 is a far better critter in the handling department.

11. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Just noticed from your pics you already have the Campy rims. The re-introduced Michelin TB series tires are great and street legal.

12. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #12 abstamaria, Oct 25, 2010
    Yes, I have the competition 15" Campagnolos. These are actually a second set, purchased from Sparwald. The first set Tecnomagnesio made for me in about 1990. I still have the 14" standard wheels, but magnesium corrosion has been a problem with them. I probably will never install them.

I have the Michelin TB5s, which as you know is the hot-weather version of the TB15. They look and feel great. I used to use P7s, one of which is still on the spare.

I included a picture of the engine compartment for the benefit of our 246 colleagues, so they can see the differences. Note the original Cavis hose.

13. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hi Andres,
    Thanks for the pics. I'm enjoying the up-close-and-personal shots of your Stradale. I don't recall if you've shared the story on that one. If not, tell us more about it. If so, point me in the right direction and/or I'll happily 'Search' for it.
    Regards to you and la piccola artista bella,
    Coop

14. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Please tell me that is not a leather re-upholstered dash that I see...

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    No, Stratos, that's "mouse hair," a bit brown now. The car is unrestored. Repainted many years ago and with Omp seats installed in 96, it remains pretty much as original I believe.

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #16 abstamaria, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Thanks, Coop. Let me check if I posted a note before on the Stratos. I thought pictures of the details of the car will be more interesting to the Dino owners on the forum. I am glad you found them interesting. Regards, Andres

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

when i bought my boxer almost 9 years ago, i was told to consider a stratos instead. the broker said the boxer was cool but a stratos was super cool! he was right. i love my boxer but i really feel connected to the stratos now as i came sooooo close to buying one instead.

i actually lust for the stratos!!

best

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #18 abstamaria, Oct 26, 2010
    Here is photo of the interior, Stratos. The dash is clearer here, as well as the mouse fur on top of it. I believe this is original. The material is very similar to that on my 246, which I believe is also original, but has faded a bit more to brown, making it more mouse-fur-like, actually. It has spent a longer time in the tropics. The Dino and the Stratos have roughly the same mileage, with 11,000 miles on the Dino and 17,000 kilometers on the Stratos.

The red seats have been in the car since 1996, but I have been considering whether to reinstall the original buckets, which are very narrow and trimmed in that unusual light brown, suede-like material unique to the Stratos.

Dino and vintage Ferrari owners will be able to identify common vent switches, door handles, and other bits.

The Boxer and the Stratos are very similar, Ferraripete; the level of refinement in the Boxer is much higher, as is obvious in the cockpits.

Regards.

19. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Have you found the plug-in socket under the dash for the portable lamp or shaver, etc. as described in the owners manual?

20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #20 abstamaria, Oct 28, 2010
    racerboy9, if you didn't mention it, I would never have known it about the plug-in socket. I checked the manual, which indeed confirms one should exist "for portable lamp and shaver ..."

However, I slid under the dash with a light and cannot locate it. It is possible the PO (Japanese) worked on the dash and removed it. Which side of the steering column is it on? Is it fixed or dangling from the loom? The parts manual has an illustration, but this is too small. If you have a photo, that would be very helpful.

As an aside, I suppose a shaver socket has been essential in a rallye car since the hero (Maurice Trintignant) used one in a Mustang in Claude Lelouch's "A Man and A Woman" for a rendezvous with the beautiful Anouk Aimee. And also headlamp flashers and air horns. I have attached photos in frustration, being unable to shoot one of the missing socket.

21. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #21 celestialcoop, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    One of my all-time favorites, Andres. 'thoroughly engaging and I love the theme song. Do you two have the movie? We don't, but I'll have to look through our humble collection of old vinyls; I may have the soundtrack.
    However, I believe that the male lead was performed by Jean-Louis Trintignant (award winning actor, nephew) not Maurice Trinignant (award winning driver, uncle). Hey, it was all in the family...a very famous one, at that!
    Thanks for the memory,
    Coop

Very cool trailer here:
    http://www.cinemagia.ro/trailer/un-homme-et-une-femme-un-barbat-si-o-femeie-5265/
    A teaser for the car buff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2AmGGTgrUQ&feature=related
    A teaser for the romantic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6fm_stXkbE&feature=related
    And lyrics to the theme song here:
    http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/u/unhommeetunefemme.shtml

22. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    #22 dignini, Oct 28, 2010
    My recollection of driving the Stratos is that it is so much lighter, easier to point and shoot.
    The Dino being heavier feels more planted but only feels that way, cause I am sure the Stratos would run rings around it. Alas my drive was less that an hour along Surrey's country lanes and did not involve any high speed runs. At the time I could have chosen a 308gtb, Stratos or Dino for the same price. For my lifestyle, the Dino was the right choice. To have the pair must be very nice!

23. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    One of my favorite movies of all time. Wonderful soundtrack by Francis Lai. If only he had a Stratos right? ;)

24. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004

lovely car!

what size are the TB and how wide are the coffen spoke tecno's?

cheeers

hf

25. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #25 abstamaria, Oct 28, 2010
    Mine, too, Coop. I love the dawn practice scene, when they unload the GT40 and other cars for practice at a circuit. (That is the exact scene in your link; I will post it at the local sports car club Facebook page. Thank you.) And the music by Francis Lai is wonderful throughout. It is a beautiful 1960s movie. Yes, I have the DVD and have also seen the recent version (the hero decides not to shave in it). You should be able to order the DVD. Watch it. I might do so this weekend.

Yes, of course, it is Jean-Louis Trintignant. That's old age creeping up on me, Coop. In some parts of the movie, he looks like Jim Clark.

Regards,

Andres