Importing a Personal car from Canada 25 years Help? | FerrariChat

Importing a Personal car from Canada 25 years Help?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Rodriguez_Exotics, Oct 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rodriguez_Exotics

Apr 9, 2008
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am looking at buying a 1976 BMW 518. Yes a 518,that means a 1.8 four cylinder Carburetor car. This car is perfect for a motor project ive been wanting to do.

My question is, has anyone imported a car from Canada in to the USA?
    Second Doesnt this car Apply for the 25 year old exemption rule?
    I ask because i called my local MVD,and they tell me because its a Canadian car. I have to go threw a big process,But she said grey market is different. Wouldnt a Canadian car coming into the usa be considered grey market?

The thing is,This is true euro Greymarket because it was Bought new in Israel.

Thanks

2. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Go on the EPA/DOT and U.S. Customs website. There is an exemption form that you need to fill out when importing. The EPA/DOT care only if it's younger than 21/25 years.

Tell your local RMV that this car will satisfy the EPA/DOT regulation regardless of where the car come from. I don't understand why your RMV is making a stink about. Once it's satisfied by the EPA/DOT with a valid U.S Customs stamp after clearing the border you should be all set. IIRC there's a 2.5% on the bought price of the car duties charge.

All this will be covered on the EPA/DOT/Customs website.

Good luck

3. Rodriguez_Exotics

Apr 9, 2008
    #3 Rodriguez_Exotics, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    I just called again,and i got a different answer. I am told as long as i register it as a Classic vehicle,and since it is 25 years of age, all i need it a a title.

arizona is a Trade Title for Title state. No Inspection is required is what i was told.

I was told on MVagustafourm. That it depends per state.

The owner has offered to take it from his House in Quebec to VT.

But since you bring up a Duty at the customs,whats that about? so i have to pay $1,600.00 on dutys?

4. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Yes.

U.S Government wants a piece of everything it can get.

Make sure you have a title. I hear registration can get real hairy without one.

5. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Call Bill at AN Deringer in NY 518-298-7558. I got the run around from everyone in the world while importing a car from Canada, finally found Bill, he did all the paperwork and everything went flawlessly, cost was only like $200.