New Clutch or Kevlar Clutch | FerrariChat

New Clutch or Kevlar Clutch

Discussion in '360/430' started by theodor, Nov 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theodor

theodor Rookie

May 21, 2010
    Europe
    Hello everybody,

I would like to change the clutch to an 1999 360 Modena 6 Speed
    I would like to know what is better (price and longer lasting) the original clutch or a rebuild kevlar clutch? Or another solution?
    I don't use the car for racing, but i like to go fast i shift at 7000 rpm.
    Best Regards,
    Theodor

2. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Why do you shift at 7000 RPM, why not 8500? I would do the kevlar clutch, and I will be doing it when it comes time to change mine, even though mine is an F1.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I put a kevlar in my 2003 360 and it was awesome.

4. theodor

theodor Rookie

May 21, 2010
    Europe
    "Why do you shift at 7000 RPM, why not 8500? I would do the kevlar clutch, and I will be doing it when it comes time to change mine, even though mine is an F1. "

Hello,

I am afraid not to brake the clutch because it is worn.
    I will change it with a kevlar then. Does anybody know where i can send the old the clutch to be covered with kevlar ?
    Best Regards,
    Thedor

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #5 DonJuan348, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    Ask plugzit(Bruce) , its about 150 per disc or clutch masters but they are more.

6. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Two of us here in NC tried Kevlar on our F1s. We both wound up replacing it fairly quickly because the clutch would slip very badly. Mine had been fine during breakin but became unbearable later. Installing a CS TCU helped, but the clutch disk was toast by the time I did this.

We both switched to a kevlar-ceramic combination in a multi-puck configuration. I've not had any more issues, and I've not heard of any issues from Marc either. The final design was worked out between HR Clutches and Apex Vintage.

Lou

7. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Lou, what are the direct advantages o the ceramic/Kevlar clutch thatbyou had put in? I'm interested in when I do replace my clutch I would like to consider this application. What is the cost of the clutch and where would one purchase it? Thanks in advance

David

8. Markjayw

Markjayw Karting
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2010
    Kennewick, Wa.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes please list specifics, vendor, pricing, did you do anything with the flywheel, etc. Would be most appreciated.

9. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Add me to the audience, listening intently. Need my first clutch replacement in the spring and have been having this very discussion with Josh of ECS.

10. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    #10 ferrarilou, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My goal was longevity. I would like the clutch to last more than 20,000 miles. I like to keep my cars a long time and drive them allot. Plus I love to track the Ferrari.

The problem with straight kevlar on both sides was that because the F1 system slips the clutch as much as it does, it would overheat and lose all grip. It seems that the problem became worse after multiple heat cycles, so the effect was additive. I believe that the reason the issue improved a bit with the CS TCU was because the shifts are so crisp and so there is less slip. However, as I said in the prior post, most of the damage to the material had already been done.

The suggestion from HR Clutches (the second time, when we talked to the senior partner) was to use ceramic on the one side as it could take the slip better ... I think that was the pressure plate side, but I didn't write it down and don't remember exactly anymore. The multi-puck design was also to reduce heat, though I'm not knowledgable enough to explain why.

The actual design parameters were decided between Terry at Apex Vintage and the guys at HR Clutches. I didn't ask all the details that I would have asked if I was deciding the design. I did that on the first all-kevlar clutch and proved thru the initial failure that it was best left to the experts to figure out.

For the clutch disk, we shipped them my old disk. They modified it to the puck setup and resurfaced it with the new material.

We did also want to increase the clamping pressure so sent the entire setup to HR Clutches, but they came back saying that stronger springs for that pressure plate could not be found. They did rebuild it. there was an issue with the new bolt heads protruding too much, which Terry had machined down locally.

I have attached a pic of the clutch disks, both OEM as well as the modified 8-puck design.
    It has been on my car a bit over a year, but I've not tracked it this year due to a combination of distractions that interfered with fun.

Lou
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I looked up my receipts. The disk relining and resurfacing of the pressure plate was $385.00. Shipping was another $20.00. The actual clutch removal, discussion with HR Clutches, new release bearing, etc and installation was all at Apex Vintage.

Lou

12. theodor

theodor Rookie

May 21, 2010
    Europe
    Thank you very much for the info

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This is great. Thanks.

14. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Bump.

Any more reviews on alternative options to the oem 360 clutch for an F1 are much appreciated. Links to different clutch options and suggestions are also appreciated :).

15. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Call Vivid Racing. They have sold the Kevlar clutch to F1 owners, said they had success. I have talked with Apex Vintage before, and they said it won't work with F1 tranny. Only owners feedback could maybe help.

16. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I'm sure calling the seller is going to generate a success story, as I doubt Vivid will say "no, the kevlar clutch works like crap, don't do it." ;). It seems there are maybe five or six total owner reports about using kevlar clutchs (and none really with specific make/model specified), and it seems 50/50 whether its recommended or not for an F1. Frustrating that there is not more data on this as I'm sure there are more Fchatters who have put in an alternative clutch option to Ferrari oem clutch.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    The mechanic i use said he installed one at a customer insistence and it did not work he had to take it out to reinstall one without kevlar

For what it is worth

18. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    I had clutch masters kevlar in my F1. Used it for over 13k miles and when I sold the car was still at 77% life. I used their stage 3. Honeslty a good product if you need them we sell quiet a few.

19. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Subscribed!

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Rob tell the secret on how to get it to work... A fellow 360 owner is ready to order one from Clutch Masters

21. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    I don't know what the issue is, honestly the installation follows the same path as the factory clutch. We use the stage 3 setup and seems to work fine. Just call me if there are questions or issues happy to assist.

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    could it be the stage that is being used ? he was interested in a stage 2...

is your price the same as from clutchmasters

23. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Usually save money over clutch masters pricing. The stage 2 is ok but I would take the stage 3 over the 2. Just seems to have a longer life in the car and the drive is the same.

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I will keep that in mind 4 when I need 1 . I always thought stage 3 was too aggressive and would make the clutch pedal to stiff

25. Pega

Pega Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Hi

None of the pictures of the clutches are Kevlar ?

ciao