Fabspeed 430 manifold. What have I done wrong? | FerrariChat

Fabspeed 430 manifold. What have I done wrong?

Discussion in '360/430' started by lilleprins, Nov 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lilleprins

lilleprins Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    #1 lilleprins, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Changed the manifolds today and my car runs like ****. Too lean it seems.
    Now - these extenders were provided with the manifold. See picture. Is this realy right to use these on the manifold? Realy don´t understand way. There will be no further driving this car until this is solved.
    Someone that can help me out?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fatlaili

fatlaili Karting

Apr 2, 2006
    Hi I have the same manifold and also cat delete pipe from fabspeed is running ok without problem. But the extender is place at the cat delete pipe to trick the computer so that it will not trigger CEL but no extender at manifold section. Do you really need extender at the manifold? My car running fine for months now without CEL issues. Only issues i have is too damn loud. Hahaha!!

3. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I would expect the extenders are for the rear O2 sensors rather than the forward O2 sensors. Probably because they are trying to compensate for the reduced catalytic converter activity by fooling the rear sensor into thinking the air is cleaner. The forward sensor is the one that controls you engine running behavior, at least that's what we've been told. I would move the extenders to the rear sensors, then clear the ECU (turn off battery cutoff switch, wait a few minutes, reconnect, start car and let it idle for 15 minutes).

Were you getting a check engine light with the setup as is?

Lou

4. lilleprins

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    Ha ha - thanks a lot all. Guess I was a bit tired when doing this. But -like you said - I didn´t really understood why to fool the sensors on the manifold. Could have ruined the engine I guess. Thanks for a fast reply. Will go down to the garage and fix this now.

all the best

//Anders

5. lilleprins

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    Yes i noticed the sound. Bought 2 Vortex cones and will have them installed later on. Have you tried them?

//A.

6. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Like the others said the extenders is to go on the 2nd set of the o2 sensor. How long did you ran the car like this? Running lean can definitely damage the engine.

7. lilleprins

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    No CEL light. Drove just 2 km - light. Think it was OK. You could really feel something was definitly wrong - so it was idleing back to the garage.

Yes I know how dangerous it is running too lean. Blow a piston in my MGA 1600 Twin Cam 40 years ago.

//A.

8. fatlaili

fatlaili Karting

Apr 2, 2006
    Phew!! Lucky you notice it earlier not when the engine is damage. No haven't try the vertex cones but maybe once u have that install let me know how is it?

9. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Why did you butcher your car like this?

10. lilleprins

Apr 19, 2010
    Torslanda , Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders T.
    It is easy to make misstakes. I see now why I made this one. Since I bought both manifold and sportcatts I got 2 + 2 extensions from Fabspeed. 4 extensions and 4 lambda sonds.
    If you don´t think it is easy to use them all and then you are into a situation like I was.

11. Alex@fabspeed

Alex@fabspeed Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2006
    Fort Washington, PA
    I was away on vacation for a long weekend and didnt see this till now. It looks like everyone has answered you question already. The 02 extenders do not belong in the 1st 02 sensor port. We supply those for the secondary sensors if a customer orders catbypass or sport cats.
    Having them installed in the 1st sensor is the reason you car was not running correctly.

12. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    I will install my wideband sensor on that particular hole. The test pipes has three holes, if you start from the manifold to the exhaust the first hole is for the Air/Fuel ratio sensor, the second is the O2 sensor and the thrird one is for the exhaust temperature.