Ever been told you couldn't do something? | FerrariChat

Ever been told you couldn't do something?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Kev33, Nov 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kev33

Kev33 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was thinking today how good it would feel to get back at all the people who ever told me I couldn't do someting and decided to start this thread. Several people have told me I'll never become a doctor (which only makes me study harder) and several people have told me I'll never have a Ferrari. I have several instances, but I'll list a couple that really just plain sucked. One day I was sitting in the library (this was two years ago in high school) when my friend I've known since I was 3 came up and we talked. I had free time, so I was on AutoTrader looking at...well, Ferraris. He looks over and says "I don't look at cars I know I'll never have." I just smiled and said "I'll get one someday." That really pissed me off, but I didn't show it. The one that hurt the most was when I got my Enzo poster. I told my mom it was the ultimate car for me and my dad said "Well you better have a big checkbook" in a doubting voice. That one hurt the worst; my own dad. So, if people have told you the same crap feel free to share; and if someone told you this and you ended up proving them wrong PLEASE tell us!

Kevin

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #2 toggie, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    You'll never increase your forum post count if you post in the OOT section. :D

As far as Ferrari ownership, I was always told when I was young to buy the most practical car, never a sporty car.
    I made it a habit to always get something a little sporty even though it was mostly practical.

When it comes to buying a Ferrari, try to save up and pay cash for it.
    They are a lot more fun without the payments every month.

3. Noelani

Noelani Formula Junior

May 29, 2004
    Full Name:
    R
    My ex fiance's mom told him I'd never finish school. When I graduated magna cum laude three years later it briefly crossed my mind to send a graduation announcement.

4. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    they told me i couldn't fly. boy, were they right.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you guys listen to people?

huh.

6. Kev33

Kev33 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Kevin

7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    mmm...whatca say? :p

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #8 wax, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After recounting reasons why I told someone else in a Boss's employ he, the penultimate "butt-kissing" employee, was "useless" in so many words, the PC Boss in a local and limited market I then worked for said I was "a lousy salesman".

A year later, I was top salesman ~ worldwide ~ for a different company.

On a visit to the old stomping grounds, I thanked the old Boss for his words, as they drove me out of town, forward, onward and upward. He was slack-jawed as I again described difference between "Kick-ass" and "Kiss-ass" . . . just as I had done to his "useless" "Kiss-ass".

______

This is what I do for a living now. Pay's lousy, but . . . when all is said and done, outcomes are satisfying to all parties.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Kev33

Kev33 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    "That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten." Ya gotta love "Pulp Fiction" and great post btw. Must've felt pretty good. :)

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #10 Gran Drewismo, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Wife told me I couldn't do a nice set of brunette twins that came into a bar 3 weeks ago..... :(

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    About the time I couldn't see the chalkboard in sixth grade I was told I couldn't be a fighter pilot.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    From a fantastic song by Yann Tiersen, Les Jours Triste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdNltmR7-KY

Chorus:
    It’s hard but you know it’s worth the fight
    'Cause you know you’ve got the truth on your side
    When the accusations fly, hold tight
    Don’t be afraid of what they’ll say
    Who cares what cowards think, anyway
    They will understand one day, one day

14. nikkis34

nikkis34 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 17, 2004
    SF
    Full Name:
    M. K. Nijjer
    You can't brought that one on yourself. It is not like your boss told you that out of the blue.

15. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Two cool quotes from Picasso that come to mind:

"I am always doing what I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

"When I was a child, my mother said to me: 'if you become a soldier, you will be general. If you become a monk, you will be pope.' Instead, I became a painter, and wound up as Picasso."

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Story of my life...

And I wouldnt have wanted it any other way.

17. Kev33

Kev33 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I guess you're right; you gotta have somebody to push you.

18. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You'll be surprised to find that doing so isn't nearly as satisfying as you imagine it to be. Savor your successes and let go of the lust for revenge. Bet most people who "wronged" you have absolutely no memory of the events anyway.

19. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I'm very kind and gentle and because of that I get the "you'll never make it as a business man" all the time. Got it from my dad too. But that's just ammo for my eagerness to build a successful company.

I used to talk about Ferrari's with my friends and got that "forget about it, you will never own one". I was 19 then, 26 today and could get a 348 paid with cash tomorrow if I wanted to... However my goal is F430 and I'll get one in my early 30's, with 0 debt.

I kind of love when people do that, hard to explain.