Which White of the Ferrari Whites? | FerrariChat

Which White of the Ferrari Whites?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by willrace, Nov 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    As some here already know (mostly, the locals and the Boxer folks), I'm in the midst of what's amounting to a "Ground-Up Resto-Light" on #42849. The original color, Bianco Avus, is really sort of a dirty white, made especially obvious when side-by-side with its garage-mates, and I have been tracking down some "whiter" Bianco options. However, I haven't been able to compare anything larger than paint samples/chips, and FNA is has proven to be fairly useless. The best candidates so far are "Bianco Polo" and "Polo Bianco", which actually are different, but one at least trace back to the 60s (can't recall which), so would be "period correct" and acceptable for the last of the fully-hand-formed-era cars.

Does anyone have a better idea of what "whiter" whites Ferrari has used in the past, or even better, an actual car in a cleaner-white-than-Bianco Avus white?

No, she won't be joining the throngs of Red, "Resale", or otherwise. :)

2. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Is Bianco Polo Park (20/W/152) the same as Bianco Polo? I ask because Bianco Polo has the same code as Bianco (FER 100).

3. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Thanks for another piece of the puzzle, Papa G.
    That's part of the problem - I can't seem to get much of an answer to the mysteries of Ferrari Colors of the Non-Red variety.

I've seen jimpo1's 328, and it seemed much whiter than the Bianco Avus, but I didn't anticipate seeing his car at the F1 Watching Party, and didn't bring my door-jamb for comparison. He remembered that his car is Fer 100, and checked to confirm it a few days ago, but is simply "Bianco FER 100", with no "Polo" (part of where FNA would/could have been helpful.....maybe if I was buying a new one).

If, as you indicate, FER 100 actuallyis Bianco Polo, then Jim and I both will know something more, and I'll have a better idea of where the colors hit.
    The Bianco Polo Park may be another color altogether.......I wish I knew.

I'm hoping someone here will know more than I've been able to find......otherwise I'll take another hard look at jimpo1's car, or just use another, non-Ferrari white (it'll certainly be better than the half-dozen shades of "factory-original" white that were on the car when I acquired it).
    I can't quite read the sticker in the pics I have of mine (open bonnet shots), but now I'm curious if it will read "FER 100" also.

4. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Strange, because my paint sticker reads "Glasurit: Bianco Avus FER100" is it possible they are the same shade?

5. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That's what worries me - that mine might say the same. I know it's Glasurit, but the differences in "the same color" suggest that it might have been another "Ferrari Character Quirk Of The Day", like badge placement, or detail dimensions from car to car.

Could open the color up to just about anything.....which would make this so much easier.......NOT :D (We all know better)

I might try FNA one last time tomorrow.

6. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Hi,

My 94 348 Spider is Glasurit Bianco Fer100, I would check the showroom thread all our White Ferraris and check the cars and colours out against yours!!

Otherwise the best way is to have a sample of each colour made up and spray these on to a card and compare them to your car.

Also each batch of paint made for Ferrari will be slightly different to each other, and a 89 FER 100 will be different to a 94 FER 100 paint colour!

Regards,
    Phil.

7. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I tried that first, a while back, discovering mostly that there's a new Bianco Fuji (pearlescent), but otherwise, little else about "other" whites.

This is the last step, once I find out what those other whites are.......if I can. That seems to be the challenge.

That's about the conclusion I've come to, as well.

Waiting (again) for a return call from FNA........Perhaps I shouldn't have uttered the words "restore" or "older", but instead, should have suggested "I'd like to match the 599GTO I just ordered to.....". :) I'll bet I wouldn't have even heard the voice mail prompt, again (this time was a different name, though).

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #8 jimpo1, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    You can't go outside an official Ferrari color, that would be heresy!

My '87 Ferrari is parked next to my '07 Benz daily driver in the garage. The Benz looks "whiter" when you see them side by side, but when the Ferrari is alone, it's plenty white.

My vote is stick with the FER100.

And I'll meet you anytime for you to compare my car with your door jamb! :)

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I love the pearl effect of Bianco Fuji.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd go pearlescent also, giving it some interest in the sun...would look nice over the surfaces......

Junior's House of Color rainbow pearl fleckles with EXTRA flakes thrown in!!!!!!

That kind of pearl.......;)

11. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    That takes my vote too. Amazing color in person.

12. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Jim, I may take you up on that offer, if you're available for lunch soon, for a "Color Consultation".
    I wish I'd driven my SL to the watching party, since it's even whiter than the current Merc white of the past decade or so. The main guy doing the Boxer P&B calls it "blinding".
    The Boxer, it always just looked a little "dirty", no matter what. Had FNA ever called me back (today included), I might have an answer to "How many different FER 100 whites are there??".

LOL - Bianco Fuji just wouldn't look.............well, "right" on a Boxer. Something about keeping those subtle nuances of the design, subtle. (yeah, yeah, I know, subtle + Ferrari..... heh)
    Hmmmmm......Maybe that JHOC with the extra flecks could bring out Pininfarina's hidden "inner bass fisherman" :D :D

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There ya go!!

Lil' Rebel white........:D :D :D

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I used a silver on my Pontiac once, Cadillac color maybe... the metallic had all colors in it.....looked nice against the neutral carrier.....

15. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Ya, but then I'd have to find a brush guard......and a trailer hitch.......and a.......

16. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm game. On the road Wed-Thurs next week, am otherwise around through Nov.

17. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #17 jimpo1, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    From the images, it looks like the Ferrari white has a touch of yellow in it, while the Benz has a (double) touch of blue in it.

You basically have two choices: A) restore it to Ferrari color it came with, B) paint it the way you want it. {Me, personally, would always choose B over A if/when the whole car is painted. I have a pannel that was obviously touched up in the same color as original, but the camera can always tell that the touch up is not quite the same color. Cameras are like that, so discriminating on color.....}

19. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    You might work this from the Glasurit side of things. Contact Glasurit, see if they'll provide specific info on shades of white used by Ferrari during that period. Also get the full range/specs of all white shades they offer up. Pick through 'em and go with whatever floats your boat. Since it's a repaint, total originality is off the table, and if you wanna keep it long term, find sumpin' you like; otherwise, every time you go out into the garage and look at your baby, you'll twinge cuz you didn't get what you really wanted.

20. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I wanted to thank Jim for taking the time, and making the drive, to meet me for something as trivial as a White vs. White Comparison.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    (The FChat display really cuts some of the color clarity out of the images. It was a very bright day, as are these pics on my monitor)
    In comparing the only known-for-sure-original paint on the Boxer to Jim's same-code 328, my panel was slightly darker (more "beige-ish/dirty-ish") than Jim's, from same protected area of each car, but certainly noticeable. I was expecting a bit more difference, but that difference was there.
    Sitting next to the blinding white of the SL (which has never been next to the Boxer while it had paint), even Jim's took on a little beige-ish hue. I had already been wanting to take the Boxer to a "whiter" white as soon as we discovered the other 4 or 5 shades of "original" white on different parts of the car, before ever even getting the SL, so it wasn't a matter of the Mercedes white out-shining the Boxer's Bianco.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Very good eye!! There is a very slight blue hue in the SL's white (Polar, IIRC), to the FER-100's slight yellow hue. This, and the brightness, make all the difference in the world, apparently. I've been leaning towards the Mercedes' Polar White, recently encouraged by being told by the new project manager for the shop, that he as at least two older Ferraris painted in Polar, when he was in the Beverly Hills/LA area, and for the same reasons I have.

Great idea - hadn't thought of going through Glasurit, only FNA (and that proved to be quite fruitless). I'll try them tomorrow.
    And yeah, since I'm going this far...........Given the Pininfarina lines underneath, I doubt I'd wince, but for the color, I'm going to go with what my ideal is, although I was hoping to keep it within the "approved" palette of those folks who couldn't be bothered to call me back. Instead, I'll hold a great appreciation for all those who've expressed interest, and indeed, helped along the way.

Again, a HUGE thanks to Jim for driving out to meet me, and to everyone else for their observations and suggestions. Keep 'em coming. :)

21. Doctor7474

Doctor7474 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2010
    Hoover Al,former Atl
    Full Name:
    Doctor
    Whites are the hardest color to match as any tint in them will drastically change the color. Plus there are more shades of white than any other color.

Basically you have 20 different painters mix the same paint code white using the same paint system (Dupont, PPG ect.) and you WILL end up with 20 different colors thats just the way whites are. Now they can match the paint by doing a test panel to get it exact before they spray the car if you have something for them to go by.

22. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I saw a pearl white F430 spider with dark red seats and black carpet/dash that looked amazing. Not sure of the Italian name for the color.

23. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes

Yes, its time to get the paint colour books and sprayout cards out now, and find the brightest white you like!

Re: your comments about Bianco Fuji, to my eye it has way too much silver in it!! when you are checking the whites have a look at the Mercedes and Lexus versions of it, they are far better white pearls!!

Let us know how you get on!

Regards,
    Phil.

24. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    That will be Bianco Fuji.

Regards,
    Phil.

25. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes, that's it. Other whites are like "rental car" white to me.