348 exhaust | FerrariChat

348 exhaust

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gordon WR, Nov 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gordon WR

Gordon WR Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Gordon Whitworth
    As I've no idea what to fit to my 1995 Spider I'd like to find someone with a similar car that would let me have a listen to theirs. If possible a wild one, a loud one and one not so loud!!
    I live in Chester so within driving distance would be handy. There were no cats fitted when I bought it and I guess that the box is standard Ferrari, but not sure.

Should I have cats fitted or not ? Nuvolari do a cheap box and sports cats, whilst the Larini is about twice the cost, is their a big advantage? I don't want it to give any headaches on long journeys as since I bought it in August I've done Cornwall and back also Zolder in Belgium and back and clocked up 3000mls.
    Any advice/ offers of some music welcome !!

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    PM Sy username Angelis he will probably tell you what you need to know otherwise post this in the 348 section :)

3. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Easy, Tubi with Hyperflow cats, have this setup on my GTS.I have an Xost with Hyperflow cats on my Spider and although it sounds good it doesn't sound as good as the GTS.

Also the build quality is light years ahead of the Xost and from what I've seen of others.

4. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I forgot to mention you, yeah what Steve says :)

5. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    still got your license?

6. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    huh ???

7. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    ???

8. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Has who still got their license and why do you ask ??

9. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    obvious, Gordon

10. Gordon WR

Gordon WR Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Gordon Whitworth
    Untill the 25th, then it's in the lap of the gods !! Watch this space !

11. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    have you had your day in court?

12. Gordon WR

Gordon WR Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Gordon Whitworth
    The 25th Peter !! How are you anyway, I've just started another batch of chemo, so I'm trying to keep my license as I'll need to get up to Clatterbridge on a regular basis. I'm sure they'll see it my waY !!!

13. Gordon WR

Gordon WR Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Gordon Whitworth
    What system is on your 348 then Peter ?

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Good luck with the chemotherapy, Gordon. My mom went through it a couple of years ago - it was pretty tough stuff.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. Gordon WR

Gordon WR Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Gordon Whitworth
    Thanks Andrew, mine's ongoing, four weeks on and two weeks off. On the fifth session now after the radio therapy and we're looking to tune it so the side effects are as mild as possible !! I have to do as much as poss in the good weeks to counteract the bad ones, so it's a matter of planning the motor racing when I'm feeling fit enough, all good fun !!

16. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    TBH, I not one for mucking about with the car, it devalues them, Ferrari have a pretty good idea how these things work best, it might be expensive, but it works. Quick way to bugger up the engine is to change the back pressure.

With regard to the treatment, it goes on, five years in...

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Personally, I wouldn't remove the cats as it will be an MOT failure and therefore not road legal resulting in possible insurance complications. However, removing the cats does change the feel of the car for the better. Felt like I had an extra 2 cylinders.

Best compromise is to get sporst cats. They are very similar feel/sound to a decatt setup. I can highly recommend Hyperflows. I got mine from Ricambi in the US. Great service!!

I've got a Tubi on mine. It's an early one which equates to a 2.5 with 3 being the loudest. And it is loud and sounds great outside the car. Inside you get booming at around 2,000rpm. I have a friend who has a tubi on a 348 spider and it's not as boomy, may be due to it being a soft top.

Remember, there are two sizes for tubi's. Ones for the early versions and those for the later GTB/Spiders.

Other option is a Capristo. Only heard it over the phone so can't really comment on it.

XOST sounds good, but quality was a little dubious a few years ago.

Here's a sample of each:

Tubi/decatt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Cxmt8y8_o

Nuovolari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTC9YRMHRk

XOSt with cats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyQDGDug9GY

Think mines worth about 50p now :D

18. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Two sizes ?? isn't the difference the mtg brkts ??

19. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    each to there own, when comes adding extras.

Don't forget to let the insurance company know about ANY changes from original spec. It gives them the perfect excuse not to pay out.

On a personal observation, I like my car just the way it is.

The plus point is the brotherhood is of one mind in keeping these cars going on into the future.

20. Gordon WR

Gordon WR Rookie

Jun 23, 2010
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Gordon Whitworth
    Thanks for all your comments folks, I'll have to get to listen to a few before I decide !!

21. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    One Answer Nouvalari UK based in Nottingham,check out their website and listen to what you have on your 348 at a Reasonable price go for sports cats and sports rear superb
    ask for John or Richard
    00 44 (0)115-938-6115

22. JROD9496

JROD9496 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Jared
    #22 JROD9496, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    I don't know if this would help, but there is this one guy that I've seen at a couple of cars and coffee's and other car events that has the best sounding and the loudest Ferrari I have ever heard. It's a 348 Spider, but I am not sure what kind of exhaust he has on it. I have a video at the end that shows some of that noise. Watch from 55 seconds into the video, to the end. It was a lot louder in real life because I faded the sound towards the end. Hope this gave you idea how it sounded. Thanks.
    -Jared
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xf5JJNe8Q[/ame]