2010 F1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GP: FINALE RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 18 | FerrariChat

2010 F1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GP: FINALE RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Nov 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I think Ferrari would have been better with Kubica over Alonso. Nice work of Petrov to keep Alonso behind him all year. Alonso should have told his team to tell Renault that he was faster than Petrov, and that Petrov should Massa over and let him by.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #427 tifosi12, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
    All year?

What races have you been watching?

Petrov is a disaster as a F1 driver. All season long. Abu Dhabi is a track where it is hard to pass and Alonso knew, that if he damages his car while passing Petrov, it is all over. He also knew that he had to pass two more cars to get into a points position for the title, which was unrealistic today. So his strategy was the same as Webber's: Pray for an exploiding Renault engine in Vettel's car and drive home the race.

As for Petrov: I expect him to be demoted to Lotus or Virgin. He will stay in F1 thanks to Russian Rubels.

3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Geez, what a way to start the morning. :(

Congrats to the RB folks.

4. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    #429 Formula 1, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Motivational poster for the Kindergarten in Heppenheim?

6. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
  7. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Never would have expected the season to end that way. But congrats to Vettel never-the-less. Youngest ever F1 champion! Great achievement!!

P.S. Alonso shaking his fist at Petrov is exactly why I'm not a fan of Alonso.

8. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Well said Mike.

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    He flat-spotted it. The vibrations from that can lead to a Kimi Raikkonen-like explosion of the entire support, but as the team advised he really didn't have a choice but to take it to the end.

I think it's unfair to characterize any among Alonso, Hamilton or Button not having a chance to win another WDC. Red Bull qualified pole on all but 1 or 2 races this year. They CLEARLY had the best car on the grid yet they nearly lost the WDC. That those three were in a legitimate position to win with inferior equipment is testament to their skills (regardless of FA's boneheaded decision to come in early which cost him the title)

10. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    #435 Formula 1, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You said it brother, Vettel has so much still to learn and yet everyone here is in total aww that he won. I guess everyone forgot about this little douse......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Both Ferrari's fell 4 places. The car just wasn't up to snuff.

But, let's face it... Vettel and Red Bull had one fantastic season and both deserved to be world champs.

Half way through the season, I thought Alonso had no chance at all. So, let's give the boys some credit for not giving up.

But, we have to give more credit to Red Bull for making it happen. I'm very happy for them.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually I'm a Vettel fan and in awe of him. :)

Turkey was a stupid move, but don't forget he was expecting Webber to move over as Webber's race engineer should have told Webber. But the guy never told Webber to move over. That's why Vettel's initial reaction was so furious because he thought Webber knew he was coming and make room. Webber had no idea Vettel would go for it.

13. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I did, until I realized that Petrov actually did pit earlier in the race. He was ahead of Alonso because he was ahead of Alonso, not because he was pitting late. I can understand Lewis hinting that Kubica helped Vettel, but Kubica tends to always go long.

My bad...for some reason I thought both Renaults pitted in the last 8 laps of the race.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

Better luck next year.

Alonso's development influence on the car takes some time. The 2011 car will be miles better than this year's car, which didn't have the benefit of Alonso's input when it first was designed.

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Bring back Old Hockenheim, Buenos Aires, Adelaide, etc.

I'll let the Green Hell go, as I realize it's just to dangerous for F1 racing.

16. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    I meant "all race." Too early in the morning. Alonso also knew that if he didn't pass Petrov, it was all over. And he couldn't pass a disaster of an F1 driver. Alonso choked again.

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think that incident along with the one where Alonso jumped him at the pit have probably disillusioned Felipe. He's been going through the motions since the debacle at Hockenheim. I don't think he has anything left to give to the team.

Felipe would be better off driving for someone else.

18. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    True, Radios are important but a good set of eyes go a long way.

I knew you liked Vettel, but over Alonso since when?

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That picture of Vettel makes him look 14!

20. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The only reason Red Bull didnt win much sooner is because the season would have been over a long time ago and that is a no no in modern F1. Look back at some of those races and ask yourself for a logical reason for the Redbulls to not have been competitive. There are none. Next season will once again come down to the last 2 races.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Again?

He didn't choke when he won his two titles and despite a less than brilliant car he managed to keep the chase going to the very last race. Where is the choking?

Choking would be Hamilton in 2007 in the last few races. Or Webber this year in Korea.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wouldn't say "over Alonso". More like equally because they are both superbly talented drivers (and as of today WDCs). I've been a Vettel fan since his first Friday practice where he set the fastest time. Just as I have been an Alonso fan since his Minardi days. Both men wrestled the Minardi klunker to better positions than it ever deserved (Vettel even to a victory). With that both of them did what Senna did in the Toleman, Bellof in the Tyrrell and Schumacher in the Jordan. The early signs of a WDC in the making (RIP Stefan).

Of course I was rooting for Alonso today since he sat in the Ferrari. But I'm not disappointed that Vettel got it (and I would have been happy for Webber as well).

The Speed commentators got it right talking about Hambone and Vettel on the podium: Many more victories and WDCs coming from these two in the future.

23. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B

As a Rubens fan I have absolutely NO sympathy for any of this garbage. Rubens took this **** for years when appointed "god" schumy was his teammate and all I hear about now is how much of a whiner he is...whatever.

MB

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    wow...really?

As has been covered many times, the RB drivers where allowed to race, but no touching. Webber could have given more room, vettel shouldn't have moved...everyone brainfarts.

Might as well add some pics of alonso crashing during practice in monaco, or failing to get into the top 10 because he touched the white line in turkey (pfff...what an idiot...I'll NEVER forgive him :rolleyes:), or Webber going airborne being overly aggressive in valencia (add that pic anyways, it's awesome), or webber humping hamilton in australia...

Need I go on or do you get the point?

25. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    He got the 2005 WDC because Kimi's McLaren was not reliable. In 2006, he was handed the DWC when a resurgent Michael Schumacher's motor expired in Japan.

Alonso clowned himself in 2007 a couple of times. For example, in Canada (passed by Sato!), Japan (crashed unprovoked in the rain, sort of like you acknowledged Webber's crash in Korea was choking). But for these failures, he would have won the WDC in 2007, not finished behind his rookie team mate.

This year he choked a few times, jumping the start in China, wrecking the fastest car in practice in Monaco and missing qualifying, getting passed by Kobayashi (Sato II) at Valencia, crashing in the rain at Spa (like Webber in Korea). He choked again today by being unable to pass Petrov, whom you believe is a disaster of a driver, or Kubica, or Rosberg, or Button, or Hamilton, or Vettel.

I think the car was quite competitive this year, as evidenced by its general pace and competitiveness.

My general dislike for Alonso stems, of course, from my impression of him as a bad person.