Slow Down Light? | FerrariChat

Slow Down Light?

Discussion in '360/430' started by AlphaBoy, Nov 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and the Ferrari world
    I have what I think a "little problem?"..
    I bought a 02 Ferrari 360 M6 tranny, it has the Tubi exhaust.. Every time I drive for lets say 11 miles a light on the dash keeps flashing and keep telling me "Slow Down" and I think it's the O2 sensor correct?
    Well.. Today I took the car for a little drive, started it and the exhaust sound is a little bit strange? Well it's actually rough! I drove it for like 300 meters away from home and the RPM dropped to 0 then to normal which I think is 1k? Sorry I had two Corvettes before and this is my first Ferrari so just keep going with me
    Car feels like it's "Pushing itself" and "Kindda" Slow! not kindda, to be honest VERY! so I parked it for 20 minutes and fired up the engine again and the slow down is still there which is OK but it felt a little bit better.. Less roughness, softer and smoother.. I repeat, LESS not VERY
    Thanks all!

2. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #2 Ingpr, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    Did you checked the O2 sensors?
    Check this thread;
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262393&highlight=slow

3. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Thanks for the input..
    So it's a tranny related problem or exhaust?
    BTW, how to check the o2 sensors? is there any pic? thx

4. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
  5. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Anyone could show me the o2 sensors location please?

6. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #6 Ingpr, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm getting the Slow Down light right, too, as a result of the fact that my ECU's were flashed by EVO on behalf of fabspeed for headers without air rails which we subsequently replaced with a set that instead had air rails. The ECU's are off directly to EVO for reflashing again. I have no idea if the Tubi upgrade requires an ECU flash to avoid CEL and Slow Down, but putting it out there.

8. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Thanks for the pic buddy..
    I hope it's nothing serious? So I'm getting this message because I have a bad/broken o2 sensor that's all?
    Much appreciated

P.S.: As I said before, I am sorry for the dump questions! I only had the car for two days :)

9. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Do you have a check engine code?
    Big part of the time when the sensors are bad it may through a code.

10. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Yes I do.
    The seller told me it's because the car has the Tubi and he didn't re-flash the ECU, I drove it before I buy it.. It was very smooth.
    Also when I bought it, first day was just fine then this :(
    I told him about the slow down thingie.. He told me to replace the o2 sensor because it's broken.

11. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Can you check what is the code. Use a regular OBD2 scaner to get it.

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    This could be serious.

The S L O W D O W N light came on after I filled up the car with gas on my way to the dealer for service. I drove with the light on for about 10 miles.

Told them to check into this. Apparently a sensor on one of the cylinder banks was bad (keeps the banks synchronized). They could not start the car after I left.

So get it checked out. Hope yours is minor.

13. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    @Ingpr:
    Sorry I don't have one right now.

@PhilNotHill:
    I'm taking the car to the dealer on Sunday. Hope it's just a bad o2 sensor and nothing serious!

14. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Update: I took my car from the dealer. They changed the exhaust plug/ecu (Passenger side, they said it's the one causing the SDL) (I really don't know the exact name of this very part because I lost the receipet sorry!
    Bottom line.. Everything was OK, they even drove the car for nearly 2 KM and called me and they said "Hello sir, we have tested your Ferrari and we are happy to inform you that your car is ready", so I took the car for a test drive for like 30 KM (I was heading back home) then the damn thing started to flash AGAIN!!! Slow down, slow down then dissapeared! I was like "Oh.. Thank you lord" continued my journey to home then slow down, slow down, slow down! I took my foot of the gas pedal, drove it on a 80 KM/H same! 70? Same WTH? 60!! Same! parked it and let it cool for like 45 mintues and gave it a shot slow down again! COME ON!! Any thoughts guys?

P.S.: It's not a still SDL, it is flashing.

Thanks!

15. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    Did you try to disconnect the batt (using the switch in the trunk); let the car cool down for maybe 1 hr; reconnect the batt; start and idling for 15 mins - then drive to see what happens?

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I had/have a similar problem. Most likely it is the other exhaust sensor ECU. Yes, there are two, one for each bank. You had one changed and the problem went away only to return, so i would change the other one before doing anything else. If not that, then you may need to change one or both thermocouples. But if it's not throwing a hard overheat code then most likely your problem is the sensor ECU. Good luck and be sure to post results.

17. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Take it back!!

18. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    I have the exact same problem Alpha...including the one time where it felt completely dead and had to "limp" home...I had the Pyrometer and Controller changed in September as it was showing an incorrect high temperature, they test drove it and said it was fine (and I trust them), then I get it home and (of course) the light came on again.

In fact, I can almost always get it to come on - always when the car is clearly not too hot...following the same procedure:

1. Start car, let idle for 3-5 minutes
    2. Take off, shifting from 1st to 3rd (since it's a little too cold to go into 2nd right away)
    3. In 3rd, about 400 yards from home: SLOW DOWN, for 7-10 seconds
    4. Most of the time, that's it - never see it again (this is after the pyro fix)
    5. The one time the RPMs died on me, it was coupled with a CEL

Told the shop let's revisit in the Spring

2003/3 pedal 360

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Running rough.. hmmm... had my slow down light start flashing during a drive 2 weeks ago. Drop in power up a highway bridge, etc etc. kept flashing. Got home (couple of min, <1mile) and the right cat was glowing.. any of the exhaust glowing?

Reason I ask.. the rough running in my car was due to a couple of crappy coils, that resulted in gas getting into the exhaust, causing temperatures getting too hot in the cat.. thus the slow down light and the drop in power.

Did they check the coils? Mine did not give the code off to the reader. In my case, my mechanic pulled the spark plugs and we deduced two did not look right.. the same two had bad coils. Replaced and now she's perfect. :)

Wishing best of luck!

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    BTW if the headers are stock, precat might be on my thoughts as well if present.. hope it's not and I hope I'm off base 180% on both of these thoughts.. !

21. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Thanks a lot for the help guys, I really really appreciate it A LOT!

I heard about it but couldn't do it because I don't know how lol! It's my 1st Ferrari so could you guide me through it please?

The exact same words of the Mechanic :) I saw the DTC description myself but couldn't remember it clearly since I was up for 21 hours ;@ It was something similar to this "Right Side Passenger ECU "something" - The piece I bought was square-shaped; all plastic and had a black color with some kind of socket? maybe to install/connect it to the exhaust or the mufflers..

Agreed! They told me to bring it back by next week.

Thanks a lot sir for the advice.
    I'll do these steps, I even wrote them on a paper..
    First time yes, the RPM dropped to 0 then back to normal (That was before I change it) for now I FEEL and I repeat FEEL the car is normal!?? Except for the SDL..

No glowing, I even touched the exhaust muffler itself! Yeah it was hot but NOT VERY hot, I could touch it for 2 seconds to be honest.. I checked every thing and even stuffed my nose for one minute to smell anything weird :D

Checked coils, spark plugs and wiring.. All good ;-)

Thank you, I wish the same to you too.

22. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    You guys have better knowledge than I do, can I drive it? Is it safe? I feel the car is very smooth and has no issues at all except for the damn light :(.. Your thoughts?
    Thanks!

23. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Dont drive it!
    Put it on a flat bed and let the damm dealer pay for it!

24. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
  25. AlphaBoy

AlphaBoy Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Earth
    Full Name:
    M. D.
    Guys are we talking about the rounded switch located at the trunk? With a curved arrow and OFF? If so, I tried to switch it left and right but that damn switch is to hard to turn!!
    Let me know, Thx!
    P.S: No SDL rightnow..