Car Trailer HELP! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Car Trailer HELP!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by indaville, Aug 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    #76 indaville, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
  3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

WTF ???

4. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    That is one pretty trailer. Aluminum, smooth sides, individual wheel wells, black cabinets. Wow. Have you pulled it with the Porsche Cayenne yet?

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what are the specs of that bad boy ? $$$$ ? u should check local truck rental places, u cant rent HD pickups here in ATL. might make sense to rent one for the weekends only vs buying a HD and using the pepper to move it around locally.

6. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks! Have not pulled it yet I am getting a brake controller installed this week in the Cayenne.

Can someone post a picture of how you strap the vehicle to the floor? It seems like there are different schools of thought on what is best.

Matt

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #82 BT, Sep 13, 2010
  8. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    I have an L-track system in my trailer. Do most people recommend covering the wheels or hooking to the frame??

Matt

9. F458Italia

F458Italia Karting

Sep 2, 2009
    Sarasota Lido Key Fl
    Full Name:
    Michael Lentini
    I would hook to the frame whenever you can

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    out of gear

parking brake is ok

strap down by wheels to let suspension free float is ideal (some use frame attachment points like when shipped from overseas but most make mistake of not compressing suspension to limit movement)

keep straps as short as possible do not cross them just like you would not cross your shoulder harness straps.

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #86 BT, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Why not cross the straps? It seems to me that if the straps were straight there is less resistance to side to side movement, and also more direct placement of the force on the straps. If you cross them then you basically reduce the amount the strap will stretch for any given fore-aft movement making the strap more effective in containing movement (the same load gets placed over a longer amount of stretch). Also, if your car is very close to the edges of the trailer, a good bump or hole or whatever that puts sideways force on the load will allow it to more easily move sideways resulting in damage to the car.

There is a medical reason not to have your neck pinched with crossed seatbelts, but I don't understand the reason for not crossing tow straps.

:)
    BT

12. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #87 normv, Sep 14, 2010
    It all depends on the length of the car to where your d-rings are, sometimes you run out of length and need to cross over. What to be careful of when crossing over is the rubbing of the straps together. Crossing over is OK then as long as there is enough strap length to keep vehicle from moving back and fourth. A car over 2200 lbs I would not use E track you Must use D-rings to the floor. Thanks Norm
    [​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you are going to cross them make sure there is enough room that the straps run at the least angle as possible. If your attachment points on the trailer are only a foot or two behind where you attach to the car your straps are going mostly sideways and are doing a nice job of keeping the car from going side to side, but are doing next to nothing as far as keeping the car from going forward or back and the straps will break very easy if you slam the brakes etc.

You also don't want the straps at too steep an angle going down, the worst example of this would be in the attachment points in the trailer are directly below where you hook to the car. The would do a great job of holding the car down but again would not do much to keep it from going forward or back. Ignore this if you are using over the wheel type tie downs.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's it KKRace understands perfectly. The corallary to the above post is to weld the D-ring anchors in the right place for the racecar so that it can be strapped accordingly. Most of us amateur racers only have 1 racecar and 1 trailer. They should be setup for our purpose use. Welding in D-rings is simple.

15. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've been towing my race car for 20+ years and have never crossed the straps. If one of the straps come loose when they are crossed, the car will pull to the remaining strap and you now have a loose car on the trailer. If one strap is loose they are both loose. Think about it.

Cross strapping is good if you want to keep the car from moving sideways but when does this happen? I would only cross strap when I am also fore/aft straping to the wheels.

And be careful of cheap bolt-on D-rings. They are the weak link. If you bolt them to the trailer use only grade 8 or better hardware.

16. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what length ramps are u using to get these cars loaded up. i have an open featherlite alum. comes with 6 footers..............

17. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    #92 indaville, Sep 25, 2010
  18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and how did towing with the pepper work out ?

19. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    It was interesting!! The Cayenne did fine but getting on the expressway and having semi's pass me was a new experience. After about an hour I settled in.

Matt

20. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Nice GTS! (and trailer)

21. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    After a while you will realize it isn't the semi's that are the problem it is the other idiot car drivers on the cell phones.

I have now driven about 45k miles in my business with my trailer and the biggest problems are cars cutting in front of you and then jamming on brakes because they just "HAD" to get in front of you...to get to the red light first.

22. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

Agreed!! Driving as slow as I was I got a new perspective on drivers. In my short trip (3 hours each way) I saw a number of stupid moves.

Matt

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what are the specs on that trailer ? 20 ft ? link?

24. daviidwilson

daviidwilson Rookie

Nov 9, 2010
    #99 daviidwilson, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    I have a 20' Featherlite enclosed aluminum trailer I use for my race car (2400 lbs Alfa Romeo). I tow it with an Infiniti QX56 (9000 lbs tow capacity). It has been from SoCal to Seattle and back twice, from SoCal to Salt Lake City and back recently to pick up a 360. The Inifiniti will tow it all day long, and if you don't care about gas mileage it will easily do 65 MPH over all the passes. There should be some pics in this thread from the trip to Utah picking up the 360:
    This combo handles very well. Though, I doubt the Cayenne would do the job.

I have had it for about 5 years and although I have plans to add storage etc the only thing I have added so far is an electrical winch with remote - handy for loading race car if it has mechanical breakdown at the track.

25. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    May I ask why you copied and re-posted my post (post #8) in its entirety?
    Jes