Ferrari's at Cuba G.P. | FerrariChat

Ferrari's at Cuba G.P.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by pgrootswagers, Feb 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pgrootswagers

pgrootswagers Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
    #1 pgrootswagers, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Due to some beautifull pictures in Octane issue 81 march 2010 on the Cuban G.P's I did some research on the Ferrari's that attended there.
    Enclosed is my overall list.

Can anyone help me with the missing raceno's, serialnumbers etc.

It is also said in the article that some two years after 1960 the last one was run, but I can not find any existance of such race.

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    I have John Kilborn as driver of 0558 LM for the 1957 Gran Premio de Cuba, while Carroll Shelby drove the car in practise.

3. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I have some knowledge about the Cuban GP's. I am very close to Armando Garcia Cifuentes (lunch 2 or 3 times a month), who is thankfully in great shape. Armando unfortunately had a serious accident during the 1958 Cuba GP, driving the TRC #0690 MDTR, resulting in a number of spectator fatalities. He is my living reference of the glory days.

My father, Julio Batista Falla, was on the organizing comittee for the 58 GP. The TRC #0698 MDTR was purchased by my father from Enzo in 57 and raced by him during the season, and was later sold to the Cuban Racing Team in 1958.

If anybody has seen the "Malecon" in Havana, you can imagine what a great spectator race the Cuba GP must have been. I have many period documents of that time, tell me if you are interested in anything in particular, I might be able to help.

Cheers,

Julio

4. pgrootswagers

pgrootswagers Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
    Julio,

I posted you a private mail through this site but I never received an answer. would love to know more about the data / items you have on the Cuba G.P.'s

Please give me your personal mail adress so I can adress you.

Peter

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi, please post what you have on the Ferrari entries. I have files on the Ferrari cars involved and would very much like to add information not so far available. You may also contact me at [email protected]. Please let us hear from you. Thanks much. just one man's opinion tongascrew

6. Pannos

Pannos Rookie

Aug 4, 2010
    Hello Julio,

I could not find any picture of Armando Garcia Cifuentes to enter my database of drivers of all times,a picture as a driver,can you help me?

Pannos

7. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
  8. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #8 Julio Batista, Nov 18, 2010
  9. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Julio,
    Love the story and pictures. Please don't hesitate to post more. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

George

10. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
  11. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Julio, thank for the pictures and info. Do you know much about that print of 0690 he is signing? Is it a limited edition? How many were made? Who the artist is? Where i might be able to find one?
    Thanks

James

12. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #12 Boudewijn, Nov 18, 2010
    Hi Julio.

Your father's car at Cuba 1958 in a quite dramatic photo with an injured person on the hood.

Best
    Boudewijn

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #13 Julio Batista, Nov 18, 2010
  14. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Great pictures... You can identify cars & drivers with the list in post #1.

15. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    #15 Sire Bruno de Losckley, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Peter Collins 500 TR 0654MDTR n°38

Masten Gregory/Wolfang von Trips 500 TR 0652MDTR n°42

Piero Carini 375 Plus 0396AM n°78

what race exact, please

"I finally found some pictures of Armando. Here is his car after the accident at the Cuba GP, 60 years later he can be seen sitting with me in 0217el, and finally he can be seen signing a print of 0690.

My father raced him once at the Nassau speed week, with his own 500 TRC, 0698"

16. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    #24 Jaguar D-type XKD503 Alfonso Gomez Mena

17. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Julio,
    Do you know much about that print of 0690 Armando is signing? Is it a limited edition? How many were made? Who the artist is?

James

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am very curious about this D-Type, or possibly another, as my father in law imported one to El Salvador. He was the Jag dealer at the time, and it was white. The car did go to Cuba, raced by Trintignant as the owners weren't allowed to race it due to lack of proper licensing.

Trintignant, for some reason, was available to race it, after attacking the perspex with a hacksaw as too high for his rather low stature.
    Uncertain about which year though.

It eventually went back to Coventry for damage repair, before, or after Cuba, and came back red (as the original burned down in the factory fire) with the same chassis numbers. This D-Type was sold in Miami around 61-63.
    If anyone has more info, I would appreciate it.

Regards, Alberto

19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005

Hi James,

The print is part of a limited series dedicated to Spanish racing drivers, comissioned by a motor racing historian who is a good friend and lives in Asturias. I don't know who the artist is. If you wish I can ask him if he wouldn't mind if I PM you his Email. I have another print of Armando and my father racing at the Nassau speed week, but I have just discovered that it might descibe an "imaginary" situation.

Julio

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Please see my previous post. I know my father raced at Nassau and so did Armando, but now I am not sure that they ever raced there at the same time. I will keep looking and will share my conclusions.

21. arturogpola

arturogpola Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Arturo G-Pola Fuent
    Hola soy Arturo González-Pola, soy familia lejana de Julio Pola y estuve en el homenaje que le hicieron en Oviedo. A este homenaje asistió Armando García Cifuentes y estuvimos hablando con él. Se editó un libro sobre el automóvil en Asturias de Fernando de la Hoz donde hay un amplio reportaje, tanto de Julio Pola, como de Armando Cifuentes. No sé cómo puedo subir fotos o documentos en este blog, pero si alguien está interesado no tiene más que escribirme a mi e-mail [email protected].
    Saludos

22. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Hola Arturo,

Desgraciadamente yo no pude acudir al homenaje, soy buen amigo de fernando de la Hoz, que ha estado varias veces en mi casa viendo mis coches. El libro de Fernando es muy bueno, y su labor admirable.

Saludos,

Julio

23. ferrari4evr1

ferrari4evr1 Formula 3

May 8, 2005
    Thanks Julio! That would be great.. PM me his email. That print looks very, very nice..

James

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Many thanks to everyone involved in this thread. This is just the kind of stuff that I love to see. Copies of pix and text will go into the files on each of these MDTR cars. just one man's opinion tongascrew

25. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #25 Boudewijn, Nov 22, 2010
    The Carreras car at Cuba probably was 0678MDTR, not 0698MDTR.
    This colored photo comes from the Barclay Boys website and shows 0678MDTR at Sebring 1958, one month after the Cuban race.