California gripes! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

California gripes!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ScuderiaDallas, Nov 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frissen

Frissen Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    USA/Mexico
    Full Name:
    Frissen Gutierrez
    Are we talking owners or drivers?

I think percentages change once we count drivers vs owners, most high end sport cars are purchased by males yet I believe many are driven by women.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    TOP 10 REASONS NOT TO OWN A LAMBORGHINI

(Also see Top 10 Reasons Not to Own a Ferrari posted under- Ferrari Discussion, Not Model Specific)

11. There are too many reasons NOT to own a Lamborghini, I can’t stop at just 10.
    10. “Lambugerghinini” is too hard to spel.
    9. When people say “Lambo” it is often confused with a sissified version of Sylvester Stallone movie with a similar name.
    8. Nobody can figure out how to open the doors, especially the owners.
    7. Have to cover your body with motor oil so you can slide in and out.
    6. So uncomfortable to ride in that the CIA uses it as the model for state of the art torture chambers.
    5. Have to go to a special school to learn how to pronounce “Countach.”
    4. You can pass anything on the road except a gas station.
    3. The other 9 Lambo owners and you will victimize each other with identity theft.
    2. People will stop you and ask you “is that a Ferrari? and you sadly have to say “NO”, it’s not a Ferrari.

And the NUMBER ONE reason why you should not own a “Lambugerghinini” is that so many women will pester you for sex that you will die from exhaustion at a very young age and you will have an exorbitant funeral bill because the mortician will have to go to extraordinary expense to remove that sh*t eating grin off your face. RIP.

3. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Bought and registered by women.

4. ScuderiaDallas

ScuderiaDallas Karting

Jul 25, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam

Hilarious!!!

5. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    ...and the best thing about quoting statistics is making them up.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Go to the internet for your statistics ... then pick what ever set makes your point.

7. 612scag

612scag Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2010
    Rick, let us know how do with the snows on the Cali. I drove my 612 last winter with snows, it was perfect!

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Will do ... stopping power on dry pavement is where they are lacking ... I give people rides all the time and with the PZeros their lips end up sticking to the dash. These (of course) don't stop nearly as well. They are quite good, just not as good. But I will take that in a heartbeat over the dangerous handling that PZeros give in snow.

We should have a little snow in a week so I will let you know then.

Rick

9. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    sam

if you think the cali is a girlie car, why did you buy it?

ignacio

10. ScuderiaDallas

ScuderiaDallas Karting

Jul 25, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ignacio

When I ordered the car I hadnt driven or even seen one in person. I was going to swap my Scuderia for it but as it turned out I kept the Scud (fortunately) and thats how my wife became the primary driver of the California. Moreover by calling it a girlie car doesnt mean that it would be sacriligious for me to drive it even though it may be a 'softer' Ferrari. I am sure there are plenty of guys out there who would love to be in the driver seat of one so I am grateful to be the owner of one. Just voicing my opinion and dont expect everyone to agree with it.

11. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    You should try the VOLT then... forget Lambo and 458 either...

12. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    That I do agree. Those cars have more aggressive looks. Then, is my Porsche C4S PDK, branded by many as in inverted BATHTUB or overpriced BEETLE, a girly car or a manly car? I'd tend to think Porsche's shape neither speaks male nor female and I never quite understand how one can assign gender to sheet metal but I agree to a certain sense. Given how easy it is to drive a Turbo, I see many more female drivers for Turbo 997 than men actually... and they wear stilettos... how fast can they go really?

13. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Not the mascot... the raging bull is more manly... I should buy the gallardo over the Cali... I gave up the gallardo, the raging bull signifies a bull market and it's good luck for me. Overall, subjectively speaking, I think the LAMBO is designed to be extremely aggressive and it is oftentimes perceived as more manly.

Now how about this? I was sent an email by my grad school roommate who's a German which I want to share just for fun. I have no clue if but I suspect coining such term is a politically incorrect but...

http://www.ledorga.fr/en/election-voiture-gay/gay-car-2010-results.html

14. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    #39 calitalia, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    ScuderiaDallas, over here, the funny thing is I am sort of 50/50... this is my first Ferrari and I had to admit that I probably would have gotten the 458 if not for the wait but then I said what the heck... but my wait is still for almost 12 months and by now it's been too long despite a Jan production and March delivery... lately... I have lost much interests in it and still wonder if I had picked the right car (with R8V10 and SlS and Gallardo as contenders)... the SLS was a bit too impractical regarding the doors and the Gallardo was aging and a bit too tight for me as I am around 6"2 and vision impaired inside the Gallardo... the car imparts different feelings... I must say photos never do justice and I find that every time i see it in real life, it looks great but when I see them in photos, it's sort of "uh... I am not sure"... I still wonder if it is the good first Ferrari but I must admit that I am not sure what to call it when it comes to looks. I would just label it as a remake of a 250 California with design q s from it... all in all, it is quite consistent with Pininfarina's design like the 599... they have a consistent shape and design. But for 612 and 599, they also impart feelings that are just "uh... I am not sure"... the only car which I think would be like "wow that's a supercar kindda look" would be the 430/458 variant. The testarossa is quite manly but even the 575 Maranello never had the Lambo manly aggressive look. So I figure they are very different when it comes to car design. Applied to Porsche, I also have little idea about the design team but wouldn't disagree with Clarkson's comment that they employ the laziest designer, the next generation and my 997 and 5 generations/iterations later, they are all the same... rehash... so is the gallardo. What a great way to save money... but to me, the good news is that the california is a completely new platform so you know they had spent some money coming up with it. Oh yes and I am the first to get the HELE and that would probably make it more GIRLY.

Do you find the new bicolour black top with gunmetal rims toughen it up a bit like those showing at Paris motor show? I kindda always wanna change my order but I guess I have no choice so I will stick to it and try to live with it. Just over here, Lambo is never a good car to own first hand judging from resale value and brand value... Ferrari is the only one that keeps you waiting as they always have the mystique and Lambo over here are always second best... they get the cookie crumbs leftover when the guests finish at Ferrari... those who couldn't get a Ferrari and didn't wanna wait hop over there for one right away with discount too!

Talking about being manly... now doesn't this stir up testosterone?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110112229697/pagani-zonda-cinque-chased-by-lamborghini-murcielago-interceptor

Call me a kid but now that's manly... hope you all enjoy! Maybe after the Cali, I might just plunge on a Murci... if I have the means. Gotta do it once...

15. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Yes, my testosterone level has been elevated! Don't feel as "girly" now.

16. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Obviously its a subjective topic, but I've always thought of wedge shaped profiles as more aggressive or "masculine" whereas curvaceous profiles are "feminine." As to the Carreras, I also think its a combination - the upside down bathtub is masculine due to its unique "funkiness" (just like those Cubes are funky) but the curvy rear hips are sexy!

Disclaimer - I don't mean to imply that feminine can't be aggressive! :)

17. ScuderiaDallas

ScuderiaDallas Karting

Jul 25, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    [QUOTE
    Talking about being manly... now doesn't this stir up testosterone?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110112229697/pagani-zonda-cinque-chased-by-lamborghini-murcielago-interceptor

Call me a kid but now that's manly... hope you all enjoy! Maybe after the Cali, I might just plunge on a Murci... if I have the means. Gotta do it once...[/QUOTE]

OMG!!! What a testosterone laden video. Those are two of my most sought after cars in the world and both of them in a crazy hi-def video!!! Murci and Zonda.... WOW!!

18. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Man I watched that video again in hi def and it got me aroused.

So how do I turn down the testosterone now?

19. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    OMG!!! What a testosterone laden video. Those are two of my most sought after cars in the world and both of them in a crazy hi-def video!!! Murci and Zonda.... WOW!![/QUOTE]

I am never a pagani zonda man but the Lambo beats the pants of me... now that's a real machine to own... Reventon... that is one manly video and I do doubt that the same video would impart the same feelings with a California... if they ever shoot one. It would still be cool... but the Cali can't keep up as a cop car.

The video was shot in the Italian Alps and the two cars were driven by two of the most famous Euro stunt race car drivers...

http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/post/making-pagani-vs-lamborghini-need-speed-hot-pursuit

Enjoy... with that video, Lamborghini here I come!

20. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Rainforest, without further ado, you know my answer. Sell your California and get the real man's ride... not the 458... but the interceptor. Seriously, the video sells... it makes the DBS in Quantum of Solace car chase in the tunnel at the start rather pansy. There was also one scene with Pierce Bronsnon in Vanquish V Jag XKR... I think by far this is the best car chase to me.

It got me going... my deposit is gone off the 458... don't turn it down, crank it up and get the raging bull... that's only logical after owning a Cali! I heard the Gallardo replacement is out in 2013 and the Aventador LP 700-4 is out next year and debut in geneva show alongside with new 911? there will be many hot cars coming out. The competition is coming on... Ferrari has to keep up and the GTO will no longer seem so super with more rollouts. The LP 700 is supposed to have a single clutch gearbox that's 50% faster than typical DSG (though I have no clue why that is...)

21. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    No CGI there, eh?

22. ScuderiaDallas

ScuderiaDallas Karting

Jul 25, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    OK time for another gripe!!! At speeds over 100 MPH the handling of California is outright scary. Especially when one reaches around 140 MPH it feels like one is driving a Toyota at that speed. I am talking about city driving through traffic and not on a racetrack. I used to drive my Gallardo and even the Scuderia above 150 MPH and can easily navigate the car through traffic at that speed with no problem at all. The handling of California does not inspire confidence at those speeds and is too light and does not firm up and the front wheels dont seem planted on the tarmac. The naysayers wont agree with me but if compared with other Ferrari's the Cali is defintely a 'Girly' car. There I said it again!

23. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #48 RickLederman, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Now where are you driving through traffic at 150MPH? I had mine on the Mid-Ohio race track a few weeks ago and it seemed quite stable at 144, the max speed I saw at the end of the longest straight before hitting turn 7. It was quite safe from my point of view. It never scared me and simply did what I told it. But I certainly am not a pro. The professional driver/instructor with me kept pushing me harder telling me that we were seldom near the limit to what the car can do.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Mid_Ohio#Track_Map

Rick

24. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Sam, we all know that you're just jealous that your wife won't let you drive the California as often as you'd like........:)

25. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

ALL TIME CLASSIC!!!! LMAO!!!

Forza,

Cavallini