Top Gear U.S. Series! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Top Gear U.S. Series!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by mertini86, Nov 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians

Couldn't agree with you more.

Based on the success of the British show, I don't know why they wouldn't have gone with three well known automotive scribes who have had a smattering of TV time between them. At least new (..and ok,..olderish) faces with journalist cred would bring the core group of enthusiasts. My quick three ; Jean Jennings, Ezra Dyer and Jamie Kitman. I wouldn't mind if all three were stiffs in front of the cameras, judging from their work, at least there'd be promise the show could delve past power oversteer and stand up jokes.

2. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    This looks like a train wreck waiting to happen. They should have come up with a new concept. How are they ever even going to even come close to the original.

3. muskaroxs

muskaroxs Karting

Mar 1, 2006
    Justin Bell.

4. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Why would I watch this when the "real" Top Gear is so accessible???????? Junk! No interest in this show.

5. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #30 Sled Driver, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
    Your forgetting the big reason why UK Top Gear is so funny & original. The BBC is government funded.

No Advertiser censorship.

The boys pretty much say what’s on their minds. Clarkson has pissed a lot of people off over the years with his comments.

Can you imagine if US Top Gear rags on some Toyota or Honda? Both companies would threaten the network with pulling all ads.

I don’t know who owns The History Channel, but that major network would forfeit millions if they lost a big car company’s ads on all their channels.

I’ll tune in, but IM skeptical of the shows success

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #31 Bullfighter, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
    True, the real TG is the best edited TV series I've seen. The cinematography is first rate.

Automobile magazine/NYT guy Ezra Dyer was apparently on the list at some point -- he might have brought some humor to the show, but here in the U.S. we need everyone to look like a model before we can point a camera anywhere near him/her.

My other thought (rare though they are) on this is that if we all avoid the program it will kill any chance we have of having a decent car program on television. Top Gear UK evolved over time. The older ones with the fat dark-haired guy were almost Consumer Reports-level exciting.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I like Ezra's writing but I don't think his sense of humor is "mainstream" enough. and let's be honest, Rutledge ain't exactly eye candy.

good point about early Top Gear...it was pretty bad. the show has really only been a success (at least on the international level) for 5 or 6 years. we should give TG USA some time, but still I don't see it making it to next season.

8. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just watched it... it felt like going through the motions with three guys reading from someone else's script.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's an excellent observation. That's how I felt but couldn't put it into words.

10. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #35 gatorgreg, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    I had no idea people don't like Tanner because I can't stand him either. Drifting is not driving.

Paul Tracy would of been hilarious on the show.

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I cannot believe that clown Rutledge has managed to make a TV career. I routinely turned off his segments on all the NASCAR shows.

Dunno who mamma's boy and the Tony Danza dude were, but I didn't like those two much either.

12. Sherm

Sherm Karting

Jul 7, 2005
    Central Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I didn't think it was too bad. It is obvious that they are trying to just use the UK Top Gear template, but I don't see a problem with that.
    While watching it I was trying to decide if I would have like the show if I had never seen the UK version, and the answer is, yes. The production value was good, and the segements were acceptably interesting. I believe the weakest part of the show is the time in the studio.
    The main problem is that pretty much anyone who would be interested in watching, is already fans of the origonal, and there is no way this or any other show can match that.
    I tought Tanner did better than I expected. In all of his previous shows, I found him to be rather annoying, this time he was not offensive, just not very exciting. The other two guys didn't bring much to the table and I thought that Adam Ferraro was just loud and obnoxious, and wasn't very good with the interview segment.
    I am going to keep watching. There is a distinct lack of non-nascar car programming on US television, and this is a welcome addition.

13. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    NO different from any other boring car show (other than some fancy video editing). Adam Ferrara is awesome with his stand up shows but I didn't like him on TG.
    Also, using words like "dude" and "awesome" etc. kinda ruins it too.

Nah, there's only one, and it's the original.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True, the UK show is the benchmark. The problem with the U.S. version was that these three guys have zero chemistry. It felt like someone with a cue card with "Banter now!" was just off camera, then you get the gratuitous obnoxious comment almost because the UK show has them.

The production value is good, as you say.

But BUZZ ALDRIN???!!! Why not Barbara Bush?

God bless Buzz, but they're going to need to get some guests that people really want to watch. Where the hell was Nic Cage? Mark Wahlberg? Or Uma Thurman? Or someone who would cause people to watch the program and lend it some vigor?

+1

15. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I missed it. Satellite dish was out due to snow. Is there an online version anywhere?

16. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    If you watch episodes of the early UK top gear they arent nearly as funny as they are now. The show wasnt bad, I say give it time so the can devolep. They have awfully big shoes to fill.

17. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    There were 2 things that bothered me about the show and they're inter-related. Apart from Tanner, the other guys are hacks. There not club racers, they're not used to driving cars fast so that limits how exciting the cars look on the road. There were several points in that show where you heard the engine roaring and then they show the car looking like its going 40 mph. People want to see the cars at their limit and with 2 weak drivers you have to get creative with the filming to make it look exciting and they tried to do that with quick jump cuts and it just doesn't work.

I know a lot on this board aren't great fans of the Tanner and Paul Tracy show on Speed, but I feel that show is more entertaining than what I've seen so far. At least their banter doesn't seem scripted, plus both of them have skills to push the cars hard.

18. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Please! leave it to Clarkson

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    as denzel washington said in American gangster..."call it blue dog **** for all I care just don't call it..." TOP GEAR!!!!!!!!!!

the show was awful.

Tanner foust is awful and how he keeps landing these shows is beyond me. He is always announcing. However, when I watched him last night... i normally despise him... he was actually decent or has improved... that or everyone else around him sucked so bad it made his terrible announcing seem like actual conversation.

The show was bad... poorly staged, produced, and if I hear epic one more time... im going to slit my wrists... the word epic does not make top gear... id rather hear some american slang from the presenters own personal vocab... than play off the UK show.

I love vipers... and I could barely watch the first segment... also... for the top gear track... it looks like the ford f150 raptor will probably set the fastest time... did you see how bumpy that track/airfield is? I understand, the show can grow in this aspect and maybe even get into a new studio/track/location so i will let it slide... it was just funny to watch the acr pogo'ing around everywhere.

i am a die hard top gear fan... and watch even the old shows we never will see on the internet... and this show is terrible. Not even up to par as the 95 series top gear or hell even older.

I guess my other comments are inline with others on here... the line up sucks... what makes top gear great is the 3 people. 3 characters allowed to be characters. These guys are faceless, lack personality and are boring. Top gear uk, proves you don't need to have attractive or young people to attract the youthful audience... grown men acting like 20 year olds is perfectly acceptable. The other thing is the chemistry between the 3 presenters is perfect. We all know the rivalry between them... captain slow... hammonds teeth... clarksons thirst for more power etc... these other guys are stand ins... no character no one cares!

To be successful... the show needs funny people... who hang out and generate genuine laughter between each other... Top gear is a comedy that also does car review.

Also, the show will never be as good as the UK show since in america the channel is funded by commercial money... so reviews will always tend to be favorable or water downed.

Best of luck to the rest of the show...

but if they take top gear off BBC and leave us with this "blue dog ****" im moving....

20. Sherm

Sherm Karting

Jul 7, 2005
    Central Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is not a fair complaint. On the UK version none of them have any true race experience. I mean, come-on, they call James, Captain Slow! So sure we like seeing cars pushed to their limits (and not through editing and an added sound track), but there is far more to the show that just cars at the limit.

Yes, the team needs to develope chemistry, but their driving should not be an issue.

21. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    The guy with the dark hair ( do not know his name) was terrible, boring and no personality to name a few....Jeez

22. KhanArt

KhanArt Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2010
    7zero3
    Full Name:
    Z
    I know who Tanner is, don't know the other guys. They got a long way to go. Too stiff imo, no personality. Is Tanner the only one who knows how to drive? The show needs better writers too.

Currently a fail

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have no idea who the 3 guys are but they suck. It's as if they :

- watched a bunch of Top Gear UK.
    - Wrote down a lot of JC witty/funny comments.
    - Applied them whenever with very little change.
    - Were reading a teleprompter for the rest of the dialogues.

It's sad because the cars were great, the imageries were good too.

24. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Yeah, it seemed scripted in its "spontaneous banter" moments - the BBC guys certainly have that one down much better, more naturally.
    I'll wait for final judgment until after a few more shows, to see how well they develop.
    They do have the photography down nicely, though.

One big peeve - They've taken a page out of the SPEED (we had to cut it down from Speedvision because it was too much for our new nAskaR dhimigrafik to handle) broadcast playbook. They've contracted SOTSS* from the get-go.
    You have a Graphics Department. We get it. You're covering a chunk of what we want to see with the track outline in the bottom left corner. A major chunk of it. Cut it out, now.

* Sht On The Screen Syndrome:
    SPEED is the worst at this, when you get a tiny picture of the racing you want to see, next to a slightly-less-tiny picture of guy-who-crashed-being-interviewed, both hiding in the middle of a sea of moving graphics.

25. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Leave it to Clarkson? Paaleeessse...he can't drive any better than these hacks...Get Harris, Pilar, someone with experience actually driving high performance cars hard.