Ferrari's at Cuba G.P. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari's at Cuba G.P.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by pgrootswagers, Feb 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Awesome!

This is only the second color picture I have seen of a car painted in the official Cuban racing colors. All I had was one old picture and a word description in a letter to the factory. And the quality of this one is great. it gives a very good idea of the original light yellow. Thank you Boudewijn.

2. arturogpola

arturogpola Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Arturo G-Pola Fuent
    Hola soy otra vez Arturo, saludos a todos. El autor del grabado se llama Fernando Hoyos. Hizo también para el homenaje de Oviedo, un grabado sobre Julio Pola, precioso. El artista vive en la sierra de Madrid. Voy a buscar sus datos para ponerlos en el chat. El problema es que no se como subir información.
    Saludos

3. arturogpola

arturogpola Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Arturo G-Pola Fuent
    El e-mail de Fernando Hoyos es [email protected]

Es un gran artista y muy accesible. Tiene muchísima obra sobre el automóvil.
    Saludos.
    Por cierto en la comida del homenaje en Oviedo estuvieron hablando de Batista.
    Un familiar más cercano que yo, de Julio Pola quedó en que vamos a ir a su casa para que nos comente las cosas que recuerda de Julio Pola. Comió un par de veces en casa de Julio en Caracas y conoció a su mujer Elba.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ???

Ciao!
    Walter

5. arturogpola

arturogpola Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Arturo G-Pola Fuent
    Hello, I'm Arturo G-Pola.

The engrave of Armando Gª Cifuentes was made by Fernando Hoyos, he lives in the countryside of Madrid. It appears in the published book which talks about the
    history of motoring in Asturias. In this book there's a picture of Julio Pola, in which I contributed with a lot of information with the help of Brankok, Salgati, Octavio, Juan Vené and Julio's family. And the biography of Armando García Cifuentes.

The e-mail of the artist is:

[email protected]

In Julio's Tribute, Oviedo, A relative of Julio and me were talking with Armando and we agreed to go visit him to Madrid in order for him to tell us his memories about Julio.

My email is [email protected] in case someone wants me to send him some pictures from the tribute.

In that tribute Armando was talking about Batista.

Greetings.

6. OldRacer

OldRacer Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Miami to Monaco (MM)
    Full Name:
    Allen Markelson
    All,

I was there, and promise to write a recollection on that Cuba event. I did record a video on it, that I will post soon. Those were great times. I remember the smell of those cigars...and the women ..... I heard that the ferrari I drove is in Milan, can someone provide a contact name so I can forward photos to the owner?

Allen

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #32 GIOTTO, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    Hello:
    Does any of you have pictures of Piero Drogo's # 30 250 TR s/n 0714 which finished 12º in 1958 GP?

Thanks

9. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Allen,
    more about the cigars and women, please. Man cannot live on car stories, alone.

George

10. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #35 michael platzer, Nov 23, 2010
    only one
    copyright unknown
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks Michael for your picture, we will see if there are others

12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    I posted this one somewhere the last year. It's from a French magazine.

13. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    #38 arttidesco, Nov 26, 2010
    Since I know Julio has visited this thread I wonder if he might know anything about this Ferrari 250 GT California #0919 which I understand once also belonged to his father.

I was sent this photo of it by a friend in NC his dad Ed Arnaudin took the photo with Bob Grossman at the wheel at Lime Rock I believe on 9th May 1959.

Thanking you in anticipation of your response.

Art Tidesco

http://psychoontyres.blogspot.com/

14. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you for the picture and the blog link. I have indeed researched 0919, and my father extensively filmed the car in 16 mm.

The blog is mistaken in that the original color of the car was white, not red. Red is for racing cars that are part of an Italian team. My father never raced 0919, and he was not Italian; he just liked Italian women (he married one) and Italian cars. He would have never owned a red Ferrari.

He did race 0698 MDTR, naturally painting it in the color of Cuban racing teams, which was light yellow with a black central stripe.

I even fantasize sometimes about reproducing that color scheme on my Dino. Somebody please tell me I am crazy. :)

Cheers!

Julio

15. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
  16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
  17. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    #42 arttidesco, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  18. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Grossman California is NOT 0919GT. This just another confusion generated by inventing a serial number for a mystery car and never looking back. Best wishes, Kare

19. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    Thanks very much Kare :)

I thought I was doing really well knowing that Grossman's silver 250 GT CS was not the same as #1451 used at Le Mans !

I got the the #0919 number from Northeast American Sports Car Races 1950-1959 page 372, does anyone have a more reliable source of information as to what the chassis number of Bob Grossman's car raced with masking tape on the nose at several events in 1959 might be ?

Thanking you in anticipation

Art Tidesco

20. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Far from sure, but if you drove that car up for judging, they would tell you that yo got some seriously incorrect gauges there dude! Best wishes, Kare

21. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    Are you saying the Cockpit of the Ferrari in my blog is not even a 250 GT California Spyder ?

Or the whole #22 car is not a California Spyder ?

If you believe it to be something else please enlighten me ?

Cheers in anticipation

Art

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    It is a late 1958 Cal Spider all right, but those small gauges are what we've used to see on PF Coupes, not Cal Spiders. So if you drove that car out of a time capsule and into a concours event, the judges would tell you they must deduct some points for those gauges...

Best wishes, Kare

23. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    No Kare,
    All Pf coupe cars does have flat lenses/glass .Those seen on the picture has concaaf lenses as all cars from1956-1958 does have these, like TDF, Boano/Ellena etc. but not the first PF cars (58).
    the diameter is also correct imo.

ciao
    cornelis

24. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    #49 arttidesco, Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency with the dials Kare :)

Completely off topic and with all due respect if I drove Bob Grossmans 250 GT CS out of time the last place I would take it is to a concours event, for just one example among many look at how #1451 GT has been stripped of every last nut and bolt of it's real history and turned into a nice shiny boulevard cruiser now painted in a completely unoriginal red with completely unoriginal tan interior.

#1451 GT made its name painted silver and lent a lot of kudos to the 250 GT mystique, painted silver, in the process. It was built and prepared as a racing car, one of just nine (?) that is what competizione specification means that is why it was built with an all aluminium body, that is why at some point it was fitted with a roll bar and outsize fuel filler.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/88899971.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0E8C69734F43EC7EB58C9844103FDEE460CB29551204577BC

If the owner of #1451 wanted a pretty car why did they not at least have the decency to buy a 250 GT CS without a significant history there must have been at least a dozen un raced vehicles to choose from and price surely was not a factor ?

Its high time the small minds at Pebble Beach and beyond woke up to the fact that their criteria are stripping every historic vehicle with any character of every square nano meter of original patina in pursuit of some fantasy idea of perfection that most manufacturers of these vehicles would recognise as nothing other than pointless folly.

For what its worth I believe the whole concours movement is nothing but a blight on history of motoring.

If you are a concours fan, employed by or engaged with concours in any way answer me this, what is the purpose of having a historic vehicle that looks prettier than at any time in its past yet looks nothing like the vehicle that made history ?

I believe in the preservation & conservation of motoring history by all means but the wanton destruction of patina in pursuit of concours points is in my humble opinion nothing more than the criminal destruction of history.

Apologies rant over !

Meantime has anybody got any closer to what chassis number for Bob Grossmans Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder with faired in headlights and raced in several events with a nose covered in masking tape ?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Art

25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #50 VIZSLA, Nov 26, 2010
    Given the Reg # I assumed that this was 1451. Am I wrong?