Guess what? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Guess what?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ernie, Nov 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Did you just do a compression test or did you leak it down? I have the tools to leak it down if you need them.

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

My fault Fatso, he only did a Comp test.

I did not want to complicate the process by involving more variables that the leak down would have shown. My advise at this stage was only to find out if he had the basics required to make noise and stink out of all the cylinders. The numbers he got were in line with what would be expected of an engine with that mileage that was randomly dropping cylinders.

Once Ernie has a few hundred miles on an EIGHT cylinder engine.... then a proper compression and leak down test done at normal operating temps should be done. At this point I suspect the cylinder walls are washed bone dry and he has Fur growing on all of the valves. A leak down test would have sent him into TPU (terminal pucker up) mode at this stage of the game. He just needs an 8 cylinder Red Sled that runs while he builds up the next LeMans winning 348 race engine in the garage. Damn.... between Bruce and Ernie I can see my storage shelves becoming empty!

3. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #104 davehelms, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    When the Boss is happy... everyones happy.

When she is still up the the clowds I will drop the bomb that I am making a deal on a bent up airplane to put in the garage next to her engineless Ferrari. You think Vince had a problem... you aint seen nothing yet. Damn good thing her horse is healthy! Come to think of it, I could ship the horse, hell a pair of horses, to Bruce for his back yard and enrich my IMSA and plane budgets.

5. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    You muss be talkin' 'bout Wright, 'cause I got no back yard. Them hawses'd probly starve on the grass here in Redondo.
    How to take care of the wife problem? Lie as if your life depended on it. Examples:
    Plane? What plane?
    Plane? Oh, that's Bruce's. I'm storing it for him, and he said that if I get it running, I can have an ownership interest. Did you know they have a landing strip at the outlet mall?
    I got it for free.
    It's for you.

6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The garage would hold a full season hay, you would be a hero and only have to shovel shlt twice a day. Think of the opportunities, pin SF shields on the front flanks, a sure hit at C&C, free delivery.... I will load them tonight and tell her it was your idea.

I tried them all at the same time. Her rely... "You been talking to Bogart"?

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I have a back yard and a pasture and I live in horse country. Wonder if I brought home the horses, the race car would look like a blessing to her...

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #108 ernie, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got my injectors back from testing and cleaning, and MAN did they need cleaning. I sent them out to Mr.Injector in Idaho. A big thanks goes to fatbillybob for the heads up on the shop. Rick is a very nice and knowledgeable guy. He did a great job as far as I'm concerned.

I sent my dirty injectors in numbered bags, so when he put them on the flow bench I could see what injectors were doing what. He did before and after numbers as well as an Ohm read on each injector. The injector that I thought would be the worst (#4) was actually the best. It was only down 4%. But maybe that had something to do with the cracked tip? The #7 was pluuuuuugged up, down 11%, and the majority of them had an average loss of 9%. You can see in the graph how far off they were. Anyway they are all back at factory spec, flowing like brand new, and good to go.

Rick put on new tips, new catch screens, new viton o-rings (I asked him for those because of the ethanol content they add to the gas out here in Kali. Buna just won't hold up as long to the alcohol as the viton will), and he repainted them for me. The cost? He charged $16 per injector + $5 return shipping. Honest pricing for an honest job, and NO "Ferrari tax" . I HIGHLY recommend you guys pull your injectors and ship them out to Rick for testing and cleaning. www.mrinjector.us

So now I get to pull out the 24/lber's and put these back in. Hope the mis and CEL go away, but if they don't, I know it isn't because of the injectors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Very cool and good call on the new o-rings. Can't wait to see if the problems go away. Why are you on F-chat, get to work Ernie!!

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #110 NeuroBeaker, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ernie, that is a very reasonable price for this job. How difficult is it to pull the injectors for a very inexperienced DIY'er (remember, I am still very amateurish :D)

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It's not hard to pull the injectors. I'll be swapping out the 24/lb-ers with these either today or tomorrow. So I'll take a bunch of pics and post up a how-to.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Stooge-style, baby! :D

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You know it.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    E,

Remember after the tank implosion you R&R'rd the fuel pumps, then you had the charchol canister fail? Before you put the newly cleaned FI's back in are you sure there is no cr@p in your fuel filters? Fuel filters do not catch all the junk.

16. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Just a note to make sure the engine is cool and switch the battery disconnect off to help minimize fire risk from any spilled fuel. :)

17. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I am so getting my injectors cleaned at the next major.

Thanks for the info.

Kai

18. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looking forward to the Stooge DIY injector swap thread.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great to hear Ernie. :):)

Keeping injectors clean is vital in any car. We dont clean them often enough. :D:D

The BEST time to clean the injectors is when the engine is out. I plan to remove mine and clean them when I pull the engine. I have the complete service history on my car and I havent seen the injectors cleaned anywhere in its 19 yr history. :):)

My car runs beautiful, but it doesnt hurt to have them checked, cleaned and orings and screen replaced. :):)

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well wait till you get a load of what happened when I went to go swap them out.

21. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    WTF now ernie?!?!

22. troy_wood

troy_wood Formula 3

Apr 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Troy Wood
    Hope everything is okay Ernie. You got us in suspense man...

23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I had exactly the same miss and error codes as you and it was the coil 1-4. Worked beautifully thereafter. Great stuff. Look forward to the injector pics stooge-style.

Randall

24. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Took the words right out of my mouth

25. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name: