Possible end to Monza? | FerrariChat

Possible end to Monza?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kami, Nov 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Loosing the F1 GP could be the nail in the coffin for Monza. The circuit has been holding the prestigious Italian GP for most of the time, and draws much of its yearly income from it.

There is already a noise abatement campaign by people living nearby to have it closed.

Also, since it's situated in a park, there is a 'protection order' forbidding to cut more trees to make the run-off areas larger and the track safer.

I am afraid that Ecclestone could have some influence in the future of the track if he still goes ahead with his plans for a street circuit in Rome. Italy could in theory afford 2 GPs, but there is such competition on the calendar with other countries.

Why he insists in holding more GP 'in town', I don't know. Apart from Monaco, I can't see no justification for it myself. Street circuit GPs end up being boring slot-races between concrete walls with no features. Also, most of them don't survive the test of time - Long Beach, Detroit, Las Vegas, etc...

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Perfect - revamp the banking - and race NASCAR .... Monza will make more $$$$ than they ever do with F-1 and be able to re invest in the track.

Then when the italian govt changes again... like they do every 3-4 years - I'm sure somebody will not want Rome and the race can go back to Monza ....

Ecclestone is just an ASS!

4. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    #4 mcimino, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    I just think its ridiculous to have a GP in Rome. It's an ancient and rather fragile location to be over run by the F1 circus. And I think it has enough of its own attractions that it really doesn't need an F1 race.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Brillant solution!

But have you considered that at Monza, most of the banking was actually out of view of the spectators? Not really NASCAR, is it?

Also, oval racing is very marginal in Europe, in spite of several attempts to make it popular.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm so looking forward to the GP in Rome. This will be absolutely fantastic: One of the greatest cities in the world with lots of infrastructure, hotels, public transportation, museums and tons of things to do and visit plus a GP. Perfection!

I also look forward to the Russian GP in Sochi, but I have the feeling I will return to the one in Rome more often as it offers countless trips from there: Sardinia, Sicily, Amalfi coast, Firenze/Maranello. The possibilities are endless.

Just hoping that the deal comes through. Sochi is a given, Rome less so. We'll see.

Ecclestone is brilliant.

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I hope this isn't the case.

The last thing F1 needs is to remove more of the classic tracks. :(

8. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Well at least Italy will still have a race at Imola.............. nevermind :rolleyes:

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Speaking of, whatever happened to Imola?

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It got updated eventually and is now being used for GT racing.

It is a pretty track, but F1 has outgrown it. When I was there for a GP I was stunned how small and provincial it all is: The town, the stands, the infrastructure, the size of the track, the run off aeras, everything.

11. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
  12. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks, any chance of Imola making a return to the F1 calender?

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Unlikely.

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    It really would be very sad if this temple of motorsport were to be removed as an F1 venue but perhaps it says much about the attitude of F1 these days and how little appreciation there is of the history of the sports, history created at historic venues such as Monza.

As for these new tracks, they will never be historic, designed as contrived venues to create revenue and supposedly good racing through I have yet to see any at most of these new venues.

15. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    As a newer F1 watcher (03+) I always dreaded the Imola weekends. Absolute bore.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    One of the here most hated tracks is Hungaroring and it is now one of the oldest tracks on the calendar. :)

We all love historic tracks but life moves on and some of them simply don't have the capacity to cater to today's F1. The cars are too fast, the teams need more space, the fans come in numbers so big that you need good infrastructure.

The Rolling Stones don't play in your local bar anymore. It'd be chaos if they tried.

It is not all about a "disregard for history".

I don't know Monzas local politics but it might very well be that the race would get cancelled anyhow. France doesn't have a GP and that's only because of local politics.

17. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Pretty sad. I was hoping to see the revamp version being dominated by F1 races..

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Trust me, Imola is a lousy place for a modern F1 race. Way too small. If you go there you think you're at some private race club track. That's how small everything is.

19. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Ah ok..thanks for the heads up mate. I just hope they won't continue designing tracks that don't allow overtaking like Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. Can't wait for the track in the US.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Call me crazy but all that sounds really cool. I miss Imola.

Who cares if runoff is small? These guys are paid big $$$ to do what they do so they can grow a pair and get in the car this racing is 1/10 as dangerous as it used to be for 100x more money. Not everything has to be a big production...

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You might wanna tell that to the Senna fans. And the Ratzenberger family.

Besides: the whole point of F1 is being big. That's where the money comes from

22. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    The pit lane entry at Korea is as bad as anything at Imola.

I have no problem with F1 getting bigger and adding more modern venues like India and Russia. But that shouldn't happen at the expense of its roots. There are currently only 4 tracks left with a connection to the beginning. Of those, 3 still make sense.

Silverstone will soon have world class facilities now that so much money is being spent. Monaco is the commercial soul where the teams line up most of their sponsorship deals. Spa is Spa. No need for an explanation there.

That leaves Monza, with an average track layout and aging facilities. But with possibly the richest history of all. Not to mention it's the spiritual home of the most famous name in racing and has the most rabid, crazy fans on the calendar.

In a season of 20 races I don't see why F1 can't make one exception for Monza.

23. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Don't forget the one at 6 Flags over Bernie in Abu Dhabi

+1 I have been a couple of times and Monza is my favorite to visit (it really is as special as everyone says, fwiw Imola was fun as well in 2003.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have been to over 20 GPs including Monza and really didn't like it at all. Despite the fact Ferrari won when I was there.

There are so much better tracks than Monza once you look at it without red tinted glasses. Even tiny Imola was better.

Barbazza: agreed with all your points

I don't want to see Rome replace Monza but I don't understand the hatred Rome gets. It is a brilliant place for a race. Cancel Bahrain or one of the too many Asian races for it.

25. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I didn't think much of Monza, and I'm amazingly astute.