Islero thread | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Islero thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Marcello, Feb 15, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Welcome to the club!

I am sure you'll be more than happy with your Islero. It is such a nice car. Please post some pictures!

All the best,

Ed.

2. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    #677 em42, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    It seems Islero rear room smaller than Jarama's one and much appropriated to your nices twins than to luggage !

4. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #679 koisokok, Sep 5, 2010
  5. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
  6. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I hope its future home will keep it more than 2 years after next 27th October wedding...

7. DNO 246L

DNO 246L Karting

Apr 26, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    DNO 246L
    Yes, the 'Roger Moore movie car' will find a new home. I see they have now added the long text description of the car and more photos on the RM Auctions website. I hope its lucky new owner will be another true enthusiast. I will miss this wonderful car more than any other! The most exciting car I ever had the pleasure of driving.

8. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #683 Marcello, Oct 31, 2010
    Hi Arnoud,

I think this is an old picture of your car, light green with black interior.
    Original Canadian history, later USA, Sold in 1993 by Randy Simon, lost track after that.
    But if you have any more recent info and pictures we would love to see it!
    Welcome to the club!
    PS: Your name does sound Dutch, is that correct?

Ciao!
    Marcello
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. abarth595

abarth595 Rookie

Aug 16, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Arnoud van Leeuwen
    #684 abarth595, Nov 22, 2010
    Dear Marcello, EM42 et all,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome to the forum. It is great to see the active interest on this thread and the collective conservation of Islero related information. This will be a great resource for owners/enthusiasts alike for many years to come.

Marcello you are spot on in identifying my car. It is one and the same. I have included some pictures (please excuse the quality of my iphone camera in conjunction with an early morning over-caffeinated tremble :0) ) to show you that very little has changed. Your record requires very little in the way of an update. We bought the car from an elderly gentleman from New York state who in turn bought it in the early ninties from Florida. The poor car has clearly been maintained on a shoestring and had all sorts of interesting repairs and remedies to 'jury-rig' it through the annual NY emissions and safety inspections. So far we have done the following:

- completely stripped down and rebuilt the engine
    - rebuilt the prop shaft and driveshafts
    - rebuilt the brakes
    - rebushed the suspension where necessary
    - weld repaired the chassis box sections where ever it was corroded

Remaining work:
    - some remedial work is required on the interior where the front seats have split on the seam lines.
    - Needs a full respray. The car looks great from 3 meters away but up close there are a lot of flaws. We are considering a color change and will update you all accordingly.
    - Need to have a full stainless Steel exhaust system fabricated. Does anyone have any recommendation in this respect? We want to make the old girl sing. I have seen a youtube video of a dark blue Dutch registered Islero going around Assen circuit - sang the way a V12 ought to. Does anyone by chance know who made that exhaust?

With many thanks to you all and best regards,

Arnoud

P.S. Marcello, you are absolutely right I am Dutch but living in England

10. o-mindcrime

o-mindcrime Rookie

Feb 22, 2007
    Arnoud

Welcome from Islero owner (GT) in Wiltshire! If I can be of assistance let me know as I have had 6036 for 10 years now and there's not much I haven't had to grapple with at one time or another.

Iain

11. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #686 Olivier NAMECHE, Nov 22, 2010
  12. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Hi Arnoud,

Glad to see that another Islero is going back to the road!

With respect to the exhaust, I just replaced min with a Stebro. I have mixed feelings with Stebro: on the one hand the quality is there and it sounds incredible, on the other hand, I had a terrible experience dealing with people at Stebro. It took months before delivery with very little if no news. They almost never answered to my mails and it was very difficult to reach them on the phone.

Good luck with the end of the work and keep us posted!

All the best,

Ed.

13. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Beste Arnoud,

I've contacted the Islero racedriver from Assen for you, here's his reply:

GM Marcel,

The (current?) exhaust system was already fitted when I acquired the car. The car was completely restored in the early eighties and since I got all the documentation with it, I can
    state that the exhaust was not renewed at the time. Considering that the car was around 10 years old by the time it was restored, it is quite possible that it is still the original exhaust which was Ansa I believe. It looks quite battered by now and I had a small piece of pipe renewed in the past.
    I was at the Superleggera repair shop the other day and the subject of exhaust systems came up. They order their (stainless) exhausts from a UK company (London?) at a price of around 2250 Pounds (consumer price) for an Espada.
    That all I can say on the subject.

Best regards,
    Harry

Groetjes,
    Marcel

14. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
  15. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #690 Marcello, Nov 25, 2010
  16. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Congratulations Marcel, you deserved that recognition, Forza Lamborghini...

17. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Any pictures of #6045? Since as ex-swiss car I'm interested to have some...

6045 1968 1938 Dark Gray Mustard Consigned to Garage Foitek, Zürich, 2010 Germany

18. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
  19. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    Mercie Olivier! The longer it has been, the more I starting to realise how special and unique it was to have 20 Islero owners, with 15 Lamborghini's, including 12 Islero's at the meeting.
    The magazine articles are a very nice way to inform others about it as well.

20. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #695 Marcello, Nov 26, 2010
  21. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #696 Marcello, Nov 26, 2010
    Here's nice Swiss period picture Raymond!

With the unique chromed sills, and in this color, I think this is most likely #6003,
    wich I think is the 1968 Geneva Show car.
    Car was original delivered to Grand Garage des Nations, Geneva, just five days before the show.

Compared to the Espada and Miura being produced at the same time, the Islero might have been not that spectacular looking, but if you see the other normal streetcars in this picture,
    it it very obvious that even an Islero in those days was a VERY spectacular and fast exotic supercar!!!

#6003 is still a missing in action car, it might have been used for crash testing...

Ciao!
    Marcello

22. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Very nice indeed Marcel! It is a postcard that I am looking for for a long time. I think it is part of a series dedicated to the "Motel de Founex" whose owner was a classic car afficionado. If I remember well he had some Bugattis and some of the other postcards show them. I would infer that he was the owner of the Islero.

23. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Not correct !
    There were no crash test for the Islero...

24. Marcello

Marcello Formula 3

Sep 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marcel Wallenburg
    #699 Marcello, Nov 27, 2010
    That is interesting info Ed & Olivier! So this car might be still parked in a Swiss Collection between some Bugattis somewhere, haha!! So perhaps, one day the car will eventually pop-up again.

Another interesting fact is that this car was completed on 6 March 1968, the same day as #6000, the very first car, so perhaps this Islero #6003 could also be a pre production prototipo, as both cars seemed to have the chromed sills.
    Both cars delivered 9 March 1968, but behind both these cars is handwriten factory info that reads "Previsto Retiro" on 12 March 68. I don't know exactly what that means, but it is probably something like "returned". It could have something to do with the Geneva Show, that started on 14 March.

Ciao!
    Marcello

25. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Carrosseria Telaio Motore Data
    25001 6000 1663 9/03/1968
    25002 6003 1708 9/03/1968
    25003 6009 1808 26/03/1968
    25004 6006 1717 04/04/1968

The Carrosseria Marazzi chronological digit sequence demonstrates the way the 3 cars were 1st built, in same production sequence. Then, it shows VIN #6006 wasn't sold yet when Lamborghini order the 3 bodies to Marazzi. These 3 bodies are the 3 only Islero prototipos. These dates/data are the delivery dates... the reason why 6009 was delayed is due to the interior color change requested by VPM at last minute. It was at first verde amazzone with senape interior, modified for nero interior. All these informations were explained & described to me last week by Ingrid Pussich while I was asking about my Islero #6009...

I hope that 6003 is standing in a private collection and will surface one day... but actually nothing is expected as they were so many Islero wrecked & destroyed...