Coolant tubing change | FerrariChat

Coolant tubing change

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Nov 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #1 jonesdds, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wish I wouldn't have done this. Really having a hard time replacing the shorter lower pipe. Got it in place but couldn't manipulate the tubing into the straight pipe that goes to the rear as it was not long enough. Longer, though, would mean more difficulty getting it into place. Any tips or thoughts? Took me 12 hours this weekend just to get the other tubing into place and fooling around with this one. Feeling very inept! help appreciated!

Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    When I replaced these on my '82 308 - I loosened the clamp that held both pipes together. That allowed more access. Sorry it was trouble for you..... Wayne

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I would opt for a slightly longer hose and lube it well on both ends. If it is too short to begin with, as you noted, I don't think any amount of manipulation will help, or do as the other posted noted and loosen the other end of the tube.

4. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Impressive picture.

Soak the hose in very hot water to soften it up. Also maybe try some Vaseline.

I have been there and know the pain.

Right now very easy for me as I have removed the water pump housing as part of my current project.

5. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'm wondering a bit about the lower straight pipe and the upturn at the rear of it. I checked back there to see if the straight section could be drawn rearward but it already butts against the gas tanks cross pipe. I wonder if that potentially would be a problem. The aluminum coolant pipe is so then, I envision rubbing on the gas tank cross pipe, causing a leak. Anyone experienced this? I was thinking doing something back there would make it easier but there seems to be less room than in front.

Wish I had a lift, sure would make things easier!

Jeff

6. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I recall doing this job on my former Mondial QV with silicone hose. Two weekends and several innovative cursing sessions later, the job was done. I am still unclear as to why the cooling system requires so many pieces of aluminum piping, but what helped me to get the lower hose on the piping was to to loosen/remove the piece of hose and piping adjoining that piece to gain some leverage. Soaking the tubing in hot water and applying the aforementioned Vaseline helped to slide the hose over the flared end of the tube. Good luck!

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I thought all you were doing was changing the coolant fluid?

Something easy. :)

8. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #8 jonesdds, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Well, you probably know as well, one thing leads to another and another. Still got to get the f&$!ing hinge pin finished!

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The tubing is there because the more hose in that type of system (rads in front, engine in back), the more the system volume expands when hot and you can - in theory - end up with insufficient coolant when the engine is hot. I had a 996 Porsche 911 that when driven hard would start blinking the low coolant light because the hoses were expanding and dropping the coolant level. Hard tubing avoids that problem so it's a much better system design BUT, as noted, it makes replacing the rubber connectors much more difficult.

10. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Loosen the clamps that hold the two pipes together. Mix up a solution of Dawn and water and wet down pipes and inside of the hose. That should do it. I used this procedure recently and it worked without any issues. Good luck.

11. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And if you have any interference problems with the coolant or fuel pipes, cut a 3 or 4 inch section of your old hose, slit it down the side, and clamp it across the problem area.

12. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Hmm... what am I missing? I just replaced all these hoses a few days ago and didn't have the slightest hint of any difficulty. Everything just slid on without effort.

13. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There is just no room between the two pipes. Maybe once I finish up front there will be.

14. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    You need to loosen the clamp that holds the pipes together.

15. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Not sure. Did you use stock tubing? I'm using NAPAs gold stripe in 1.5 ". Maybe the stock tubing is slightly larger diameter, I assume it's metric? It is very hard to get the tubing on with the pipe on the bench. If I were able to slide the tubing a bit when putting together then back I'd not be having a problem. But, once in place, it really doesn't budge.

I assume many of you use Napas or Gates with your installs in 1.5"?

Jeff

16. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    I used Dave Helms' Scuderia Rampante hoses. But I also had plenty of ability to move the tubes, as I had my radiator out. That may be the big difference.

17. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    This is your problem. The OEM size is 41mm and many people use Gates 1 5/8" hose, not 1 1/2" .

18. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Really? I wouldn't use anything that would make suds in my coolant. I can't think of what it might really do, but it just seems like a bad idea.

19. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  20. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Spit works well on hoses and minimizes contamination. Just don't be drinkin' oil or soap.:D

21. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    The truth has been spoken...as with the lower radiator loose or off and the band clamp on the two chassis tubes loosened, the short collar sleeves can be changed in minutes. And with the perfectly fitting "Dave Helm's Miracle" hoses, that time is even less.

22. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #22 jonesdds, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
    1 5/8 inch napa tubing was the ticket. Very easy with that. Hopefully it doesn't leak....thanks so much for the suggestions.

One more question...radiator bleed wing nut. I want to fully open to bleed, correct? And I want it open with my initial fill?

23. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Also, I noted part way through adding the first gallon leakage began at the radiator bleed screw. I let it run a few minutes as it looked like old coolant. Should I shut it at this point? Or maybe leave open until I'm sure new coolant only is coming out-old is much darker green? Just want to make sure that as much of the old coolant and air is out of the system.

Jeff

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #24 robertgarven, Dec 4, 2010
  25. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    #25 Alfer, Aug 1, 2014
    I want to replace the flexible sleeves connecting the metal piping since my 328 (GTS Euro version with ABS) is 26 years old. These sleeves are all 40 mm inner diameter (or 1.5") however I do not understand the sleeves #33 and 40 as indicated with a blue circle in below scheme. Can anybody tell me what they are and how to access/replace.

thanks on beforehand!
    Menno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login