Broken Windshield [damn!!!!] | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Broken Windshield [damn!!!!]

Discussion in '308/328' started by pgarossino, Nov 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    I just had my 328 glass replaced in california. Insurance here is a flat $100 copay, and doesn't affect your rates.

total cost - around $5k. They got the glass, trim, and window-weld from a dealer, and didn't want to hear any information on where to source materials more cheaply.

I was willing to let the insurance company installer do it, until they said it would take three days, they wouldn't come to me, and they would only use urethane (which dries solid, and there's debate whether the resulting rigidity could lead to later stress cracks on gts's dues to a-pillar flexing when the top is taken in/out).

the installer I picked did ok, but not great. I'd use someone else next time.

2. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Check your insurance. Leland West included a glass plan. I paid $70 and had Ferrari Houston do it. They bought the glass and all the trim new. Looked like new when done. $5K. Insurance company did not say a word and dealt with the dealership direct.

There are some bad stories of new aftermarket glass not fitting 308 and multiple tries being needed. In the meantime the car sits there with no glass.

3. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    My Hagerty policy states $0 Other Than Collision (comprehensive) deductible. From what I've heard, they seem to be very good at making their customers happy.

Anyone have experience with them on windshield replacement?

4. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #29 PhilB, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
    +1. On Collector Car Policies, glass is sometimes included under the "Other Than Collision" provision, and not listed as "Full Glass" as your daily driver policy would show it.

Good luck,
    Phil

5. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #30 CliffBeer, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

Insurance customers, and citizens of a State deserve better. Perhaps, since you're apparently an "insider" in that wonderfully skuzzy industry called "insurance" taking a view from the standpoint of people who actually pay the bills and the salaries of the industry (that'd be the CUSTOMER) would be healthy and beneficial to all.

My experience has been the opposite of yours. I happen to be an attorney, which maybe helps, but I always get the right and reasonable outcome - OEM glass for example if it was OEM glass that broke. It's called what's right...not what's bs and buried in fine print for the purpose of deceiving the customer and wriggling out of the expected obligation.

Good luck to you and your business.

6. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Business is very, very good, thanks for your concern. I just purchased another one, even in this deep dark economy, creating a few more jobs & tax revenues in the process.

I sleep very well at night knowing that I provide the best coverage I can to my clients. But of course you always get that special client who wants something for nothing, the absolute lowest price & minimum coverages and then cry like a baby when they realized that they are not properly covered. I always get a signature on a form explaining exactly what they are purchasing, but thats just me.

I was just passing some insight of how it really works. To expect OEM products when they are no longer manufactured is simply unrealistic.

But lets discuss " wonderfully skuzzy industries" Mr. Attorney, shall we? but somewhere else other than a car club forum.LOL.

7. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Something about a kettle - LOL - couldn't help myself

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ

9. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #34 CliffBeer, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    Great to hear your business is going so well, while the rest of America is struggling. Your tone oozes self contentedness. In many cultures and circles that's considered vulgar.

The point is not dick measuring. The point is decency and ethical practice, or more accurately, lack thereof, within an industry. When insurance companies let down their end of the bargain (weazeling out of proper and foreseeable claims) with extensive fine print disclaimers it is just plain wrong. Again, people deserve better from the industry, and the industry is coming onto the regulatory roadmap to a greater degree because of this high level of consumer abuse.

The industry is also coming under scrutiny from another perspective - diminishing global confidence in US financial services. Since you're an insider you'll recall how AIG was ground zero for ethical abuses and fraud to a degree that it almost singlehandedly brought the US economy to a standstill. Like I said "wonderfully skuzzy."

No interest in talking to you personally in another/different forums so don't bother me.

10. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Ha! Well, Paul, someone has to be one...and try to bring up the level of play!

11. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    #36 AMA328, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    I've occasionally wondered about getting replacement glass installed now(OEM, hopefully) and storing my existing good windshield. Means I'd always have the true OEM to fall back on, if needed.

Something to be said for stocking up on some of the more obvious replacement parts while they're still available.

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you can't find one, take a high res good straight on photo of it, and I can make one for you (PM me). I did artwork for most of the Ferrari emission system and other decals that were/are offerred by CND Enterprises.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    anything from the OP??

there is no stash of "old glass"

14. pgarossino

pgarossino Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    #39 pgarossino, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just took delivery of the new windshield from Pilkington Classics. Holy Cow Batman!!! What a packing job!

Needless to say with all that packing the windshield is pristine. It matches the old one in every way I can measure with the old one still in the car. I have looked through the new one from many angles and can see no indication of any odd optics. So far I am a happy camper.

I will be calling the FoH installation guy tomorrow and keep you posted on the rest of the story.

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    WOW! I love it, an attorney calling an insurance owner skuzzy!
    Really Lost

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    A lot of good info here and I can see both sides of the argument surrounding OEM glass versus aftermarket. I think at this point, we should be glad ANY glass is available, nevermind OEM. I guess that's the risk we all take driving these things. I shudder driving on the highway sometimes, with all the junk flying around. I am often amazed by how clueless some people in pickup trucks are. I see more crap flying out of the back of pickup trucks. (Apparently pickup truck owners have no clue that 75 MPH produces air movement that will remove items that are not tied down from the bed of a truck). I have been hit more than once by debris from the back of pickup trucks, gravel trucks, etc. Anyway, what I learned from this is that when my windshield breaks, I'm taking it to the local Ferrari dealer and telling them to deal with my insurance co and put it the best glass they can find!!

Birdman

17. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    Pilkington is a huge OEM automobile glass manufacturer. They make the factory glass for BMW, Porsche, and lots of others. We're not talking about some shoddy, unknown mfr here. They are an OEM. I would have problem using Pilkington on any car.

18. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just an after thought-------------- IMHO I would be concerned more about the installer and not the glass! Look for an old-timer that has done allot of glass install. Us old timers may be a little slower but SHE will be satisfied when we are done! Get my drift? Yuk, Yuk
    Really, Really lost

19. montreal328

montreal328 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2009
    Qué
    Full Name:
    Eric
    How much did it set you back, and did you get the black trim that goes around the windshield? I'll probably be in the market for one in the nearby future, as I have a rock chip that is starting to expand...

20. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    I have made an appointment with the installer from FoH to arrive at my home shop this Saturday and do the installation. This is Silmar Glass who does all the glass for both Ferrari and Maserati vehicles at FoH. This gentleman was recommended by the service department at FoH. I called him and he is familiar with 3x8's, has done many windshields for these cars and is also familiar with re-using the original trim.

Having done my homework I am hoping for the best. I'll take pics of the process and post them after the weekend [assuming no disasters].

Paul

21. pgarossino

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    The windshield was $780. Shipping was $150. It is identical in every way that I can observe or measure with the glass still in the car. The black border is there, the correct tint is also in place, the glass is optically pristine, the packaging for shipping is way over the top and consequently arrived here in new condition.

It was shipped by Roadway and Yellow Cartage, not UPS or FedX, as the skid plus crate that it came in weighed in at 190 lbs and would have filled the back of a local delivery truck. An 18 wheeler actually pulled up in front of my place and used a hydraulic back gate and lift truck to move the crate up onto my driveway.

I have not purchased the black trim as the FoH installer claims to be able to re-use the original. I am really hoping that he can. If I have to purchase that separately, it is available, just expensive.

I'll post again after the weekend when the installation will hopefully have been completed without intrigue. [knock, knock, knock...........]

Paul

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It would be great to see pictures, that's a good price for the windshield....

Best of luck on the trim, too.....I'm sure he'll do fine.

23. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #48 CliffBeer, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks for your vote of confidence!

I don't practice law. I'm a cpa/CFO (who happens to have a law degree and legal training).

Guess who you'll be calling the second you do something stupid and get yourself in trouble? Yup, an attorney. Perhaps they're not all bad.

24. montreal328

montreal328 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2009
    Qué
    Full Name:
    Eric
    $780??? WoW... maybe I won't have re remortgage the house... I am curious about the black trim... That thing seems to be glued there like there's no tomorrow!!! Metal... easy bend.. Good luck!

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The trim kit is close to the cost of the glass..........:(

IF original, the clips are easily released...if they have been enthusiastically sealed into the pookie, not so much......:D