Sheehan sure doesn't like our cars! | FerrariChat

Sheehan sure doesn't like our cars!

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Nov 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    A friend sent an article to me out of some magazine written my Mike Sheehan. Didn't have anything good to say about 3x8s. I didn't have the link to the article and I didn't want to copy/post the whole thing here but one prominent quote in the article is:

"Mondial values are abysmally low and their deferred maintenance issues are long. To quote Monty Python: "Run away, run away""

He isn't much more enthusiastic about 308/28s or the 348. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd like to know and reminds me of several Ferrari owners I have run into who have asked me when I was going to buy a REAL Ferrari. Actually, I have met more of those types than any other; it seems that the only folks that really say good things about 3x8s is the folks who own them and, in the views of REAL Ferrari owners, we only own them because we can't afford a REAL one. :)

2. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    It's funny how the Dino is accepted in the Ferrari elite but the lowly 3X8 series is frowned upon. While it is true that the 3X8 is the Ferrari I can afford, it is also an icon of the marquee. I love the looks, I love the way it drives and I love that I can work on it myself. Although some may look at the 3X8 as the adopted child, its pedigree is tried and true.

3. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    I did not buy a 308 because it was a Ferrari. I bought a Ferrari because it was a 308.

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Nice....

PDG

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    As I recall, and I think there are some on the site with far better knowledge than I, Sheehan used to import quite a few 308s back when they were new.

I don't know, but I am just sayin'

PDG

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    He doesn't speak well of newer "Montezemolo-era cars" either. Basically, if it ain't worth 500K, he thinks it's a POS.

Dave

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Sheehan may know a lot about Ferraris but he certainly doesn't know about what WE like.

So who cares what HE likes?

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    What cha talking about!!!??? Yer the guy with the REAL Ferrari! Mine is "almost a Ferrari"!

I love 308s. And 328s. And Moondogs. And GT4s. I love em all! :)

9. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That name sounds familiar, is he the guy who used to, or still does, own European Auto Restoration, or a company by a similar name in Costa Mesa in the 1980's?

Doug

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #10 4re Nut, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    Found the article: Finding a Ferrari for $100k or less

Article discusses other models as well; below is the 3X8 portion.

I still want one...of each.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sheehan's viewpoints are often skewed and his articles on Ferraris in Forza are shallow and often incorrect in detail. I loved my 308 and think the Mondial is an excellent Ferrari, with amazing space for such a compact car and good performance for its time. The numbers sold of both say Sheehan is just blowing smoke. The 308 is still one of the most attractive Ferraris ever.

Seems like the snobbishness is strictly related to price. The Dino 246 GT is now one of the annointed because it got expensive. V12 owners stuck their noses in the air when the Dinos were new and brought up the "almost a Ferrari" quote at every opportunity. I still loved my Dino, but did trade it for a Daytona back when both were just used cars and the difference was $5K on the trade.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    See: Michael Sheehan Profile Page

13. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sheehan has opinions and an agenda. 308's, 328's, 348's, 355's, Mondials etc don't fit his agenda, hence his opinions regarding these fine Ferraris are very low. I have a 355, you should hear what he says about those!

14. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    I suppose when I can afford an F40, 288GTO, or a 250GTO then I will buy a REAL Ferrari. But before those I will have to buy another non-REAL Ferrari called the 246. However, I doubt I will own anything other than the non-REAL Ferrari I already have.

Aaron

15. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    Yes.

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    agree. *F* him and all those nose in the air types. I stopped going to car shows years ago because of folks with this elitist mindset.

I buy the cars FOR ME.

I would rather have 5 $20k cars, than one $100k car.

17. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Everyone needs a niche (•a position particularly well suited to the person who occupies it).

He has his, others has theirs. :):)

Personally....I'd have'em all if I could :):)

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    #18 Etcetera, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    Nm...wrong chap :eek:

19. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  20. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i have front engined and mid engine V-12's...neither diminishes my love of the 308's i've owned or the '85 QV Cab that i still own...just different, that's all.

21. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    First off, just because Sheehan has an opinion doesn't mean its worth a damn. Who the hell is he?

As for "real ferraris" I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I have been to a billion Ferrari events at all levels and I have never heard anyone dismiss a 308 or a Mondial as "not a real Ferrari"

It's just silly talk. There is no pricepoint on the used car market where a Ferrari ceases to be a Ferrari. Although I STRONGLY DISAGREED with the notion that the Dino was not a "real Ferrari." On its face, the argument had at least some credibility in that the Dino engine was actually made in Turin by FIAT factory workers, whereas as the 308GT4, 308/328 etc, had their engines made in the Ferrari foundry. How can a car made by Ferrari, in the Ferrari factory, sold through the Ferrari dealer network not be a real Ferrari...Can somebody help wrap my head around this nonsense.

Moreover, MANY people think the 308/328 is THE most beautiful design to come from Ferrari/Pinin. In fact, Jeremy Clarkson said as much on Top Gear not so long ago.

Finally, any schmuck who would say a 308/328 is not a REAL Ferrari better seriously reflect on his definition of what is a real Ferrari, because for every guy with a 430 looking down on a 308, there is a guy with a Pontoon fendered testarossa who thinks everything made after 1960 is not a REAL Ferrari.

22. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
  23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I found my next sig! :D

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've emailed him a few times in the way past - as others noted, he has an opinion, take it for what it's worth.

However, I laugh at this stuff. I am old enough to remember when the Dino was considered "unworthy" of the Ferrari badge. I also recall not terribly long ago, 250GTEs and 365 GTC/4s weren't all that hot, and now they are reaching higher ground. What were the pundits saying then?

To his comment about 18,000 360's being made, let's compare that to the Jaguar E-Type, which has nearly 75,000 units made. Would anyone say the E-Type isn't collectible? Granted, the 360 may not have the E-Type legacyand cache, but we can't tell until another 30 years has passed. I for one think they will be collectible / desirable, especially given natural attrition and the push to no-fossil fuels.

Who knows? Who cares? If you like the car -- drive it! I have long desired a 308 / 328 - and after 20+ years of casual looking, I still don't own one. Michael Sheehan's words will not discourage me.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Enzo said the rubber timing belts were okay.........:D :D