Graphite lube ? | FerrariChat

Graphite lube ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Fave, Nov 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Just wondering what others thought of this stuff compared to oil lubricants for use on car parts. It's in a spray can dries instantly and works well.

2. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    The nice thing about dry lubes is that they are less likely to trap dirt and dust. So in areas that dust/dirt are a concern, I use dry spray lube. I used some on sliding parts of my garage lift, which are open to dirt or dust. Also less chance of dry lube drying out (already dry :)) and gumming things up. Don't recall using it much on a car, though, but same applies there, IMO.

3. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Graphite lube is for cylinder locks, as in door or ignition, more the former than the later, as graphite works well in freezing conditions.

4. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    supposed to be good stuff, where appropriate. With me, seems the stuff shoots out all at once, gobbed up , having wasted so much. have it in a tube. mAYBE THE SPRAY IS BETTER??

Right....locks, etc. But seems so many placed are so prone to "dirt", that is seems based on that we should be using it in so many more places, eh?

Oh...also cables ...use graphite down cables (manual chokes, etc).