SP333 | FerrariChat

SP333

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by BigWilly, Nov 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Can anyone tell me more about the SP333? I have very limited knowledge on these cars, but what I do know is they seem to be a pretty fierce race car.

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    What do you want to know?

The 333SPs were highly competitive in their period. Last raced, IIRC, in '01. Campaigned entirely by privateers like Moretti (MoMo) and Lienhard (Lista) and JMB Giesse among others. Driven by great drivers (Papis, Taylor, Theys, Baldi, etc.). Supported by Doran and others. 1st OA at the 36 hours of Florida (Sebring 12h and Daytona 24h). Never won Le Mans outright, IIRC. Built by Michelotto and Dallara under contract. SpA only built one car (001).

But, all of this is generally available on the web. Do a search.

CW

3. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Are there any owners on this site? A local guy has one and I believe he said it was a Lista car. Is Lista who supplied the electronics for the cars?

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #4 CornersWell, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    Lista is a "workplace solutions" company. They manufacture mechanics drawers for shops and trailers and so forth. Lista is Fredy Lienhard's company, IIRC. As I mentioned, he was a privateer that operated a 333 and he used his Lista company for sponsorship.

Lista had nothing to do with the electronics. That's Michelotto (for sure) and Magnetti Marelli (I think).

Don't know if there are owners on the site, but it wouldn't surprise me. We've looked at several and made a few offers, but we've not been able to seal the deal. Increasingly, there's a concern about damaging carbon tubs and the cost of damaging bodywork. It's VERY expensive to repair if damaged. Maintenance is also extensive and pricey. I know that someone who currently maintains one is on this site, though, and at least another who maintained them in the past.

Pricing remains too high, IMO. Neither Sheehan's car nor the car at Ferrari of Tampa is correctly priced in this market, IMO. But, if the sellers don't need the money...

CW

5. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #5 Simon, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  6. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Without question my hands down favorite. The idea of a purpose built race car from a mark as historic as Ferrari. No comparison to the sexiest of street cars...

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Personally, I agree that the 333 is a beautiful design. And, when I started to get serious about acquiring one, I looked hard at them. Still feel that way today. But, as I said, the carbon tub and carbon bodywork really are an issue if you want to track them. Electronics are a PITA to some extent (look into the dash battery service) and the engine does require expensive rebuilds at regular intervals (there are some who still send it back to Michelotto for the rebuild...at HUGE cost).

I was recently looking at an LMP car. Same issues. Owners are beginning to understand that. Stay off the curbing. Don't risk an off. Certainly don't risk a major off.

CW

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    We have one owner on board for sure (Europe) and the son of an owner (but he races the car himself). Maybe more?

9. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I believe Dallara either designed or built (or both) the chassis.

10. Natan Tazelaar

Natan Tazelaar Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2006
    Netherlands; Texas USA
    Full Name:
    Natan Tazelaar
    I've got a pile of magazine articles and some books about this car so I can look up some info if needed. It's my all time favorite next to the F40 LM.
    Please be more specific and I see what I can do.

natant

11. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Id like to know more about the maintenance on these cars and what is involved.

12. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    When I sold my F40 GTE, I was considering to buy a 333 sp, I got two proposals, quite expensive at this time, and when I checked also the maintenance cost, I was considering to "rebuilt" a similar car but based on a modern engine and tub frame.

I am still looking on this possibility (have a look on Jim project to built a race car having the same look as his P4/5 but using a 430 engine), using a similar frame as radical LM8, 333 well designed body, modern 458 gear box and engine to reduce maintenance costs, modern tyres and wheels, good concept for club track days!

If anybody is interrested by such idea, please just tell me.

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The car requires crew to start and run and a transporter to get to and from the track. Expensive maintenance includes engine rebuilds and dash battery. Other than than, it's a straight-forward, open cockpit, purpose-built racecar. Much easier to work on than even the F40LMs and variants. Standard consumables (tires, oil, brake pads, and other fluids). Always go over them pre-and post-event. Otherwise, an off can get expensive. Parts availability isn't awful, but unless you have a spares supply, you'll have to track them down. A few of the race teams that campaigned them may have old spares sitting in a warehouse somewhere, but it could be hard to convince them to let go of the parts. There are spare motors around, at high prices.

CW

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I'd have to check on whether Dallara was involved at the design stage. 001, the test mule and first 333, was all SpA, IIRC. Once SpA approved the design, it contracted out with Dallara (at first) and Michelotto (later) for production. Subsequent improvements (aero, suspension, etc.) were likely engineered by the production facilities once they were getting feedback from the race teams and as new technologies became available.

CW

15. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    #15 superflyte, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Another good book is Seibert's. Published by Cavalleria.

CW

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Your best bet would be to talk to a shop who runs a car for their client. Like Classic Coach/Ferrari of Central Florida.

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    ...was just about to mention that one!

19. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    I love the look of the 333sp :)

20. FERRARIHOME

FERRARIHOME Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    OAHU HAWAII
    Full Name:
    FERRARIHOME
    saw the first running of 333sp's at road atlanta they crushed everyone, still have a bunch of programs from the race. great photo of 333sp on the cover so i bought a bunch.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Love the 333SP. One of my favorites. Moorespeed had one in briefly a few years ago (owner of the shop is speedmoore on fchat).

Here's the set of pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoapower/sets/72157602096814451/

The posters in this thread are far more knowledgeable in first hand experience in these cars. But from what I recall, if you were to say... break an A-arm, you'd probably just have the shop make one. David went through the process he'd go through if that were to happen.

22. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Interesting you mentioned making parts...The owner I know does exactly that.

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  24. pgrootswagers

pgrootswagers Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Waalwijk (NL)
    Full Name:
    Peter Grootswagers
    see this link:

http://come.to/333sp

Wonderfull site on 33sp by werner Pessendorfer (Belgium); unfortunatly not updated the last 10 years but still lots of info and wonderfull pictures.

best wishes,

Peter

25. Natan Tazelaar

Natan Tazelaar Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2006
    Netherlands; Texas USA
    Full Name:
    Natan Tazelaar
    #25 Natan Tazelaar, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a nice 109 page book (with slip case) on the 333 SP.

The chassis register only covers numbers 001 to 015 and the book is written in 1996, so don't expect a complete historic report to date. The text in the first part of the book covers the race history very detailed though. A must have if you fancy these cars, but sometimes hard to find because of the limited print.

Published by Cavalleria S.A.
    Written by David G. Seibert
    ISBN 3-905268-12-4

natant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login