Has anyone seen this?TR for 35K | FerrariChat

Has anyone seen this?TR for 35K

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vetconstruction, Dec 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
  2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #2 Mr.Chairman, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
    Looks like she is bleeding pretty badly in that last photo.. Probably needs a major, clutch, and other odds and ends.. You can get such a nice one today for a fair price... Not sure if this is worth it at this point in time.. then again if you can do all the mechanical yourself? Very interesting indeed..

R

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea, leaks from quite a few places. Also the air pump is missing.

My big question is why was it repainted? I see TR's every week, many with little or no care to the cars exterior except an occasional wash and the paint is still in good condition. It is very durable and that car is supposed to have only 22k miles. Just raises a big red flag for me.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nothing more expensive than a cheap TR.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like I always say, bring me a $35k TR and $50k dollars and I'll give you back a $70k TR.

But some never get it.

6. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
    Thats funny- I just saw it this morning and thought I would share it with the group. I don't get on the boards very often so....

7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Interestingly, the seller also lists for a Testarossa:

A '30k gasket kit'
    'Engine rebuild kit'
    Also has plug wires, extenders, more.

Guess he was planning some other work on it one day. Could be coincidence too.

8. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    This car looks like a serious money pit that probably requires much more that the savings over a nice TR to make it perfect, however, I think that one day in the future when TR prices have gone through the roof, we will recall this inexpensive car and say "what a great buy" it was.

But that is the way history repeats itself.

That said, I wouldn't touch that car unless you practically gave it to me, and I feel bad for the guy who does...

9. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    #9 syldog, Dec 1, 2010

Not sure where it says it was repainted. "The tires are new and the paint shines...." but nothing of a repaint unless I'm just missing it.

That being said I will echo the money pit remarks.

10. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #10 Mr.Chairman, Dec 1, 2010
    I agree.. Good buys are out there.. and these cars need a home as well.. I purchased mine with some body damage and a tarnished history.. She is a great car and super reliable and has all her power.. She just needed a little tlc. Like polishing a stone to see that you have a diamond.. Resale value of my car... forget it.. but I have no plans on selling and I can say that I fully enjoy the car.. I got lucky.. super lucky.. or you can say I stepped in some sh*t.. lol

R

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My mistake. New tires, not new paint.

12. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Not sure what part of description or pictures leads anyone to believe its a bad car. If it was listed for $60k, everyone would be complaining about how overpriced the car is and you can get them all day long for in the 30's......................I just don't get this place........

13. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The pictures aren't really good enough to make even a rough judgment call on this car. There is one thing I see...the frame member the goes across the rear of the car is painted red, when it should be black. I have seen one or two other TRs with that frame painted red....but I don't think it came that way from the factory. Why would someone paint it? That car has black interior which is nice, and relatively rare. Only a personal and up close inspection would tell you if that car is worth 35k. I see that the seller is unloading all of his TR parts on ebay too. I would say this guy is a real enthusiast like I am. He mentions he also has a ZR-1 that he will be selling, I used to have one of those too that I sold to buy my first TR. Interesting coincidence. For some reason this seller seems familiar to me, I don't know why...I'll have to do some digging. But I think he has been an fchatter....maybe still is? I recall some threads where TRs and ZR-1s were mentioned. This car could be a very good, solid car that just needs some TLC. Price...well everybody wants them for nothin around here....till it comes time for them to sell THEIR car...then they want top dollar. The subject of values and pricing has been debated to death on fchat with no real conclusion. A car is worth whatever you pay for it...as long as you are happy with it.

Though I've only owned 3 later model TRs, those early cars have a lot going for them, and I'm really starting to appreciate them. I mean they have more leg room since there is no "package shelf" at the lower dash. They have manual seat belts which is what all of us TR owners want. I like the design of the glove box lid better than the later cars....it just looks nicer on the old cars. The single mirror may be due to a misinterpretation of U.S. regulations, or it may have been intentional in design...either way it is VERY unique indeed. Lastly...for stock wheels on a TR, the single-bolt design looks much nicer than the later 5-bolts, and when properly cared for the single-bolts are very easy to install and remove.

If this was a good solid car I'd definately consider it for that price....I wouldn't beat the seller up trying to "steal" it. Besides...that only drives down the values of everyone else's cars in the long run.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Done that way by the factory on many 85 and 86 cars.

Never say never or always.

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    For some people these cars are drivers so as long as there is nothing major wrong with it (PPI thank you) then its better to buy a cheaper but slightly more worn car than a pampered but $20k more expensive one.

And if the buyer is handy with a wrench then all the better.

16. syldog

syldog Karting

Jun 22, 2006
    Huntingdon Valley PA
    Full Name:
    Andrew D. Pitcairn
    Although I echoed money pit in my original post I think you are spot on, FWIW.

17. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...now that I have my 88.5 TR running and fully serviced I might go for it, call me crazy but I need a project for 2011 since the SM is on a 3 year plan!!

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All that oil on the bottom had to come from somewhere.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

19. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    A little oil keeps the rust off.

:D

I may bid.

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    looks like a 250 GTO replica under the gray car cover, or a 240z with BBS wheels. :)

21. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I'd take it for 25K, but thats just me................I take all the junk.

22. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #22 finnerty, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    The presence of all the "clunkers" under cheapo covers in the background seems like a bad sign to me ;)

.....me thinks this might be one very neglected and very tired horsey ---- translation = money pit / lost cause ??? :(

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #23 Spasso, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    Small leaks can make the bottom of a car look like a real disaster if it hasn't been cleaned in 10 or 15 years.

I have purchased a number of cars that were grease balls underneath which, when soaked down with Simple Green for 24 hours and pressure washed the next day cleaned up nicely. Once cleaned it was easy to see where the oil was coming from and many cases were relatively minor leaks, easily fixed.

With that said, I would feel comfortable guessing that the cam seals/ cam covers (among other things, like the front main seal) haven't been replaced on this car for a decade or so.:(

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I was going to say the same thing, especially since there is another Z-car pictured in the back ground without a cover.

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Just for fun, add up the cost of just the gaskets needed to reseal the entire engine on a thorough 30k.