Lets discuss the Lotus Elcat, shall we? | FerrariChat

Lets discuss the Lotus Elcat, shall we?

Discussion in 'British' started by JasonMiller, Dec 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I am a huge Lotus fan and love the driving experience of a 70's model Lotus. I recently ran across an Elcat for sale and it looks kind of fun.. Back seat to boot.

I know all the 70's Lotus issues and after restoring my 77 Esprit can work on them pretty well.

Has anyone owned an Elcat or had any experience with them??

2. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    The Type 76 and Type 84 Lotus Eclat, built from 1974 to 1982, was a front engine rear drive coupe. It was based on the Lotus Elite but had a fastback body style which offered more practicality with storage in the boot (trunk).

The Eclat Series 1 (1974–1980) used a 1973 cc 160 hp (120 kW) Lotus 907 Slant Four engine. Later cars (1980–1982) used a larger 2174 cc Lotus 912 engine, however, because of emission regulations modifications it still only produced 160 hp (120 kW). Both were versions of the Lotus 900 series engine series, which was also used in naturally aspirated and turbo charged versions in the Lotus Esprit.

The car was priced at $28,400 in 1979, which was almost as much as a Mercedes-Benz 450 SL ($28,687).[1]

3. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Typical Lotus fantastic handling cars...very precise steering... and a bit of a back seat. Engines are pretty tough.

Given the choice i would still take the non-turbo S2 Esprit as they seem to be similar in price these days.

I gotta sell some cars and get back into a vintage Lotus! great cars despite their issues.

beev

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #4 GrigioGuy, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    Been looking at them vaguely for a while. Apparently the BIG problem is rot around the rear suspension. FWIW, the Rover v8/Buick 215 will swap into the engine bay; I *just* missed a Eclat with a 215 down in Houston a couple of years back for cheap.

http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/

5. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Lotus used very light sheet metal to make the backbone frames for their early cars. Many of them had serious rust problems which meant people had to replace the frame to restore their car. Popular models like the Elan and Europa have aftermarket frames available. I'm not sure about the Eclat.

6. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    Theres one for sale in the Baltimore area on criagslist for sometime now. Its 2800 IIRC and for sale by some sort of classic car broker. The pics look decent of it however the guy wouldnt give me any more info on it when I emailed him. Was pushing just for me to come see it. I too have a soft spot for any Lotus but am holding out for a Europa first.

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #7 nathandarby67, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. PassTheSpanner

PassTheSpanner Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The Eclat looks better in that picture than it does most of the time. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

9. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    Yes, it looks real sharp there and I like the Esprit S2 wheels on it as well.

10. vaholtorf

vaholtorf Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Victor Holtorf
    #10 vaholtorf, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017