Air bag replacement for the 355!!! | FerrariChat

Air bag replacement for the 355!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Diablo, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Just wondering, if the Air bag replacement time for a 355 is 10 years or not??

I was told by someone that the airbags in most cars only last 10 years due to the degredation of the propelant in the air bag. This to me seems true due to the fact that chemicals break down after time.

Other manufacturers don't even let you know due to the fact they think their cars will only last 7 years.

Is this fact in the owner's manual???
    The cost will be high I'm thinking...

2. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Yes Ferrari recommend that the air bags be replaced after 10 years.

3. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Thanks , I thought so.
    I guess all the 355 owners will be saving up now.

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Cheap option:

5. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Most manufactures recomend the 10 year mark,wonder how many will have it
    done,your car is now 10 years old sir while its in for service shall we replace all your air bags,i will go 98% say no,

Dale.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I see this as a major issue in the future that will affect all resale values.

Juristictions will, if they already have not, implement laws regarding disclosure and safety requirements. (We do here this here in Canada).

Would you sign a form to purchase a car with the disclaimer regarding airbags that have passed their "best before date" or any other safety equipment in non-compliance ??

Or for that matter....as a dealer....I will not sell a car that is in non-compliance with government regulations for fear of litigation and losing my license.

It's going to be the bigest boondoggle to hit automotive consumers in the next 1-2-3 years IMHO....and the most hotly debated in recent memory as well I think.

I predict manufacturer's will suddenly revise their guideleines to the 15 and 20 year mark. MB is now 15 years for airbag replacement....they changed up from 10 when the cars started to expire a few years ago. I remember replacing the stickers on all of our inventory at the time.

7. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I asked the dealer and they said that it was true about the 10 year expiration thing.
    They said that it will possibly be a bonanza for Air bag manufacturers.
    Either that or a lot of waivers will be signed by the owners of the vehicles.