F360 Spider Rollbar for track days | FerrariChat

F360 Spider Rollbar for track days

Discussion in '360/430' started by greggyll, Dec 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greggyll

greggyll Rookie

Nov 22, 2010
    I am considering the purchase of a F360 spider which I would also use for trackdays.
    Does the height of the roll bar allow sufficient distance from the top of your helmet to the top of the Spider's roll bar? I normally run with the PCA but am wondering about FCA and BMW clubs.
    If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate your insights.

Greg

2. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I run with a number of PCA regions mostly at Summit Point, VIR and NJ Motorsports, as well as Ferrari events. Never been an issue, even at VIR, which used to prohibit Boxsters without Brei Krause type of aftermarket rollbars.

Good luck and enjoy.

Rob

3. hilly1

hilly1 Rookie

Apr 25, 2010
    Dix Hills, NY
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've been curious about the same question, for the same reason.

FWIW, a bunch of research I've done has shown that a substantial number of Spiders have made it onto tracks all across the country. My understanding is it largely depends on the organization and/or the track's policies. Obviously, the higher the level of event, the less likely it is to be allowed. Casual DEs seem to generally be no problem, though.

That said, though, I would love to hear more personal experiences from Spider-owner track devotees!

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

At VIR (and I welcome any corrections here), I think the general rule is that if you can lay a board from the windscreen to the head-hoop (or rollbar) and not touch the seated driver's helmet, it is acceptable.

5. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    I'm 6'1 and have tracked the spider with the roof up while wearing a helmet (heavy rain). My helmet bounced off the framework above the side window a few times but the clearance to the roof was ok. I guess that still doesnt answer the question re the height of the roll bar, I'd need to dig my garage out of the snow and take a look.

6. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I don't think VIR adhered to the "broom stick rule." Other tracks did, which simply means laying a broom stick or similar running from the roll hoops to the top of the windshield with the driver, including helmet, underneath. As I recall, my Boxsters were not permitted to run at VIR regardless of the broomstick test.

Also of interest is the requirement to drive with top up or down. For PCA events, it is top up (unless you have arm restraints), for Ferrari events, at least at Summit Point, it was top down. Go figure.

Rob

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Was it at Summit Point where a 348ts rolled and the roof became a projectile? (maybe 2 or 3 years ago, I think?)

8. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I've taken my 360 spider to VIR, Summit Point, and Roebling Road multiple times. All were FCA events, and I know organizations vary in their rules. I have only been questioned once on the broom stick rule when someone taller than me was driving, and it was suggested the driver slouch down in the seat when lined up waiting to go on track. I'm 5'6. The other driver was 5'9. I think the rule was that with the broomstick your helmet top had to be 2" below, but my memory is fuzzy on this point.

Lou

9. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Regarding the BMWCCA, you should check with the club chapter in your region. I just let my BMWCCA membership lapse during the summer, but as I recall convertibles are not allowed at DE events, only autocrosses.