Forza magazine let down | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Forza magazine let down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by etip, Dec 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I have every issue (1-107) I enjoyed Forza most when it was a quarterly magazine. I'd much prefer a great issue every three months than a so-so issue every six weeks.

IMHO

Joe

2. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    #52 sumbaco, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I have always loved Forza and I hate to see it faltering and losing followers.

I think it is a problem for the print industry in general. I get all my news and reviews from the web instantly and print just can't keep on point due to it's delivery method. I think the only way they can survive is to offer different content that isn't readily available thru the many, many auto news web sites.

As mentioned above they need to find a new spin on articles that I can't find elsewhere. The web has the advantage of instantaneous news and quantity but quality human interest/car pieces are few and far between. Of course that's easy for us to say without specific examples but that's why it's easy to be a critic! ;)

4. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    #54 trashidelek!, Dec 23, 2010
    I agree with this. One of the few recent article in Forza that I have cared about was the one about Gianni Rogliatti. There are legions of important Ferrari people and places that something could be done with. Give me a good interview with Franco Gozzi, Romolo Tavoni, or Mauro Forghieri filled with their fascinating recollections of Ferrari's glory days in years past. Maybe features on important collectors who have an interesting story behind them like Robert Lee? How about pieces featuring Luigi Chinetti, Enzo Ferrari, etc. as told by old mechanics or other workers? I still remember Forza's article about Brenda Vernor from years back. Finally, articles about interesting Ferrari places would be welcome. Right now the new Enzo Ferrari Museum and renovated birthhouse are going up in Modena. I have been following their updates obsessively on Facebook and Blogger. I doubt 90 percent of Forza readers know they exist. But, they probably would be interested if someone told them.

Something definitely needs to be done. I have been subscribing since issue two, after having seen the first one sitting on the shelf of my local Barnes and Noble back in 1996. At this point, I am only continuing to subscribe to keep my set complete. Like others have said, I am starting to ask myself why I am doing this...

5. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #55 finnerty, Dec 23, 2010
    But you can't take your laptop into the bathroom with 'ya :)......well, you can....but, that's awkward and kinda gross.....;)

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have been a subscriber only since 2000 so maybe not so repetitive for me.

Pictures and stats are important for me. I really like the Best 10 Ferraris series and would have liked more pictures, stats and history on each of the cars. A new more indepth article could be written on each model, the racing history (if any), the best and most controversial features, etc. with a sidebar of an owner with a particularly interesting example and why. This would give dozens of articles in the future.

There is always something in each Forza issue I find fascinating. In the February, 2011:

Rearview Mirror on Phil Hill et al was particularly interesting (perhaps I am biased) ;)

Cover says "458 Italia. Best. Ferrari. Ever." That piqued my interest. Author says "There's no other way to say it: The 458 Italia is the best Ferrari I've driven." I would like to know what Fcars he has driven and how the 458 compares to say an Enzo. That would be an interesting read.

Also, I would like to see an article on each new Ferrari model showing a picture of the instruments with numbers showing what they are for -like an owner's manual. Same for the switches. An analysis of the pros and cons of the more significant ones would be interesting. This would give potential owners an inkling of what this car is really like.

Would be interesting to see what professional drivers have to say about the pros and cons of the various models. This is something you can't get on Fchat unless they are posting in stealth mode.

Ciao and may the horse be with you. ;)

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yup- that's my favorite car magazine hands down.

8. TCJ1965

TCJ1965 Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    I have a full set of both Forza and Cavallino and find that Forza compliments Cavallino nicely. If I want to read about serial #'s, VIN#'s and history of certain cars as well as look at STUNNING photography then I read Cavallino. If I am in the mood to read about everyday use, and everyday Ferrari owners and their experiences I read Forza. Maybe it's time to do Forza Quarterly (or is that quattrolly?) and then it might contain enough to interest everone. Although in this age of the Net that is hard to do with a mag.

Just my 2 cents worth (prior to taxes!)

Cheers All and Happy Holidays!

Terry Jones
    Ottawa,Canada

9. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    They said that about everything from the 456 on, even the Cali 2+.

...Completely marketing dept.-driven "editorial content".

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1

I would add that there are owners who take their cars on the major tours -Colorado Grand, Copperstate, CA Mille, European events, etc. - and it would incredibly helpful to know how it's done, what to expect, how to get involved, etc.

Agreed -- as an editor, you can't sit in your office and wait for people to deliver good article ideas to you.

That's what finished off my interest in Forza. They bow down to anything that Ferrari produces, which contributes to the magazine feeling like factory propaganda. "All Ferraris are great" is not useful information for a prospective buyer. Octane, probably the best car magazine, seems to be able talk lucidly about the ups and downs of various cars. Forza feels like a press release sometimes.

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Hey Jon, you are "seconding" yourself?! ;)

12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    BRIAN ---

I'm betting you got more than you bargained for with your invitation !?.....be careful what you wish for --- you just might get it :).

I hope your buddy can benefit from some of the comments made. It seems like a win-win if Forza wants to make some changes.

13. docdozer

docdozer Karting

Jun 17, 2009
    Central Maine,
    Full Name:
    Charley
    Rifledriver,

I hope you are still reading this thread...

There are many good suggestions here. Forza should consider going back to a Bimonthly. Although counter intuitive it may help by giving more time to add substance to articles.
    There should be a balance of vintage, classic, and modern.

While a long term road test would be great, I seriously doubt they have the ability to get a car ( actually, it has to be multiple cars) and test them. You could, however, potentially enlist private individuals to log and record information and comments by others on their cars, detail maintenance logs and costs.

25 / 50/ 75 years ago in Ferrari History. Note that those of us who have been around a while will know the vintage history since it's been in print for a long time, but new and younger readers won't.

Tech section. Could be q&A but could also be " An in depth look at the F460 Gearbox..." or what ever.

Restoration section, either tips, or a visit to someone. Market updates are good but maybe from another source. I like Hemmings auction section which shows what sold and for how much.

Ferrari Trivia, Ferrari models, did they ever look at that fabulous running 312 model?

Ferrari at Le Mans.

Following a restoration like omgjon's might be difficult because of the time but something like that could be done. Heck, do a focus profile on him.

Famous Ferraris.
    Controversial Ferraris.
    Formula 1 but not just the results from races that you can get online or from other rags. Visit Team XYZ powered by Ferrari. Follow Jim Glickenhaus on his wild ride with P 4/5c etc.

I am sure that some of this has been covered recently but I honestly think the amount of material is still out there.

Visit an upholstery shop.. How'd they do that? Same for a paint shop. Everyone is interested in how their car is made/ fixed. Hell, you could do an article on the manufacturing of a piston and get people interested. Follow a chunk of aluminum through the process.

Buying tires for your vintage, classic, modern Ferrari when the originals are no longer available.

The ideas are endless, the problem I am sure lack of resources. Forza's ok, could be better and will take time to get there. I think people will come back in time. I for one look at all kinds of stuff online but still like to get the magazine with the glossy pictures. I bet there are a lot people like that out there who need just a little more content to come back.

Thanks for the forum..

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Some ideas are very good and some are not and not doable.

Understand I am not part of them I just know the editor. He and I talked the other day and will again soon then I saw this thread.

People also need to consider some common sense realities of a single marque publication or a writer who covers a single marque and their relationship with that marque. There are some things you just cant do. Again, me speaking, not them.

15. db6

db6 Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2010
    IMO, the writing and editing need to be a lot better.

The writing is what I was grade as "workman-like." It's not horrible, but it's for the most part very conventional, predictable, cliche-riddled auto writing. While reading most of the articles, I can usually already tell what the next sentence is going to be.

It doesn't need to be bimonthly, there is plenty of material out there for 12 issue a year. Plenty.

It just seems like Forza has been on "autopilot" for a long time now.

16. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I was a subscriber for the year before and 3 yrs after buying my first Ferrari...this past year I cancelled. As others said the interesting stories were few and far between...and those 'market updates', well it's already been said ;) Maybe that's their business model, be just good enough to capture the new owners for a few years to keep the magazine afloat.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yeah, that's a bad sign.

18. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I have been collecting Forza since about 6-8 years ago. I did manage to get a completed collection together. I have to update my Sub this next month and I will.

A lot of good input here.

How about articles from non-owner enthusiast like me that have the passion and hopefully future ownership. What's their drive?

I would love to see more pics from events than just 1 or 2. Each event could have say 6 pics. I would rather see those than read results anyways.

What about doing articles on Race Tracks? You could take a Ferrari there for the day and that would make a great article on what their opinion of the track is as well as how the car performed. But never the same track. Give these places more exposure to those of us that don't get to see them. I can only honestly say I've been to 3 in the U.S. I would love to see input on the tracks and also besides what I said above, include what cars have raced at these tracks. Show a couple vintage shots in the article.

How about a Memorabilia Collectors Spotlight. Besides the Cars, they could do articles on enthusiasts like me that keep on collecting memorabila no matter what it is. But, be specific about a certain rage of items each issue. I.E. - Textiles, Diecast, Posters, Magazines, Books, Autographs, Ect.

Take Spectator pics and put them in the magazine on a 2 page spread. I could do that myself from each Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca event that includes a Ferrari. Heck! I'd drive down a take shots for that any day. Even if it's not a major event that I happen to be working.

Anyways! :D

19. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    First let me say I do look forward to my copy every month. Some of the vintage stories are really good especially when there is a thorough history to reference.

As for feedback, why not just look at some of the premier Vette magazines for structure and substance. They have market updates, single car stories, modded cars, and DIY. They have a much broader base for sure but they seem to know what works.

I really used to love the DIY sections. I am pretty sure they tapped suppliers for free hardware to complete the DIY articles. Leverage suppliers to donate their time and expertise. Things as simple as adding a Nouvalari exhaust or adding a big brake update on a 308 would sell some kits for the suppliers, advertising and subscriptions for the magazine. Don't skimp on the pics and step by step instructions either. Just my 2 cents.

20. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    Are you're saying the magazine can't risk doing something too negative--eg reliability/long term tests? True. Interesting topics aren't necessarily commercial.

21. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    #71 Duane_Estill, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    The one and only (and probably ever) issue of Forza I read was the one which an F-chatter's 512 BBi that was taken apart and put back together to modern standards, which was very interesting and a well done project. I noticed it was for sale less than a year later. On the other hand, there was an article of some young Wall Street guy who had highly modified a 360 with twin turbos and a body-kit, very radical, but very excessive. The thing that left me scratching my head was a quote from this little guy...."I just wanted to show the industry...blah blah blah." First, it was so clearly egomaniacal and lacking of any understanding of what Italian cars are and do to throw some turbos on a car and become a spokesperson to the industry, go figure. And the journalistic irrespeonsibility to let someone like that blather in such a fashion just because he has excessively modified what was built so far above and beyond "the industry" to begin with, just didn't click in my mind. Incidentally, that car was for sale less than a year later too. Somehow I attach the quality of a project to the owner's choosing to keep it. I personally do not understand getting rid of a car that you genuinely love, I rarely give up on cars. Perhaps incorrectly, it seems like in both cases they obfuscated the purity of the car and didn't like what was left over. But...the 512 BB seemed like an outstanding project and maintained the original aesthetic. The 360 looked like a tuner car.

I'm not an owner of a Ferrari, but I've been driving Italian cars for over ten year, and am looking to graduate to Ferrari in due time, perhaps soon.

The magazine is thin on writing and long on advertising. Will not spend money on it again.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#72 dm_n_stuff, Dec 25, 2010
    If you read some of the early issues, they had some ideas that they were going to repeat. One was great Ferrari cities, or something like that. they would travel to a town, find the good collections, or places that Ferrari guys hung out, or the dealer, and highlight the Ferrari activity in that town. Still a good idea in my mind.

Restoration projects. One of the best series of articles I ever read was in Porsche Panorama when they found and restored an early split window 356.

Interviews with Ferrari greats. Mario Andretti has been done to death, but I'm sure there are dozens of others.

Driver retrospectives. how many great drivers have been behind the wheel of a Ferrari? Where to start.

Better yet, a series on the history of great Ferrari Drivers.

Updated market reports. Once a quarter, do a solid job on a market report. If there's no real hard data, do NOT do a market report. One sale doesn't make a market. but the Dino, 308 series, 360, 250's, etc, all have enough empirical data to make a good market report.

What to look for when shopping for a particular model. Highlight the strengths and weaknesses of a model, tel readers what to look for, and what to look OUT for.

Maintenance. A monthly column highlighting a DIY project. some can be simple, some can be not so simple.

An advice column. Dear Forza, my transmission is skipping in and out of first gear like a schoolgirl with a jump rope, what should I do? Or even better, "My Ferrari Mondial doesn't seem to be helping my sex life, did I buy the wrong model to attract chicks?"

I'm sure they've done some of these before, maybe all of them in some capacity. but, as newer models roll in and out, they can update what they focus on.

STOP TRYING TO SELL FERRARI OWNERS ON MASERATIS. I don't think many of us care about the modern Masers, maybe some care about the old stuff.

Last, but certainly not least, a little less Ferrari ass kissing wouldn't hurt, except I guess they can't bite the hand that feeds them.

From a distribution standpoint, they need to get a version together for the Nook and the Kindle, the sooner the better.

Want to make some money off the old issues? Re-issue them on DVD. One year at a time on disk, in pdf format so that a user can reprint the articles they want to read. And, duh, with all the original advertising along with new advertising. Or, make past issues available in pdf form online for a nominal fee. Or just the top 500 articles. How many guys here have shopped on ebay for a particular issue of Forza to buy the article about their model car. (OR am I the only one who has done that?)

OK, that's my list.

Have them email me if they want more. :D

(EDIT - I DID NOT READ ALL THE OTHER POSTS, so, I'm sure I've repeated some of the other ideas here.)

Dave M

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#73 dm_n_stuff, Dec 25, 2010
    Just spent a minute on the Forza Website.

No easy way to renew subscriptions or get a new one, for that matter.

Sure, they have a trial issue that leads to a subscription, but why not give an option simply to subscribe right there, right now!

And, no way to order back issues online? DOWNLOAD AN ORDER FORM, MAIL OR FAX IT IN? Geez, how 90's can you get?

BTW, I still read it every month, although the guys here are right, the issues have gotten pretty spotty. I'd trade the glossy printing for content.

Sorry for the additional edit. Their advertising section will still take FILM as a submission for advertising. FILM? I print for a living, no one has sent me FILM in ten years, maybe more. Oh, and they're printing at 133 line screens. In the world now, it's 175 line screens, although I don't have any familiarity with web printing, which is probably how they work. The difference in print quality from 133 to 175 isn't minimal, and would show as better images by far.

24. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have every Issue sine #1, I too keep re-subscribing... and I too will be on the hoarders show one of these days... But WHERE IS THE IPAD VERSION...

and my last question is who bought them... Ski and Scuba went down the tubes when Rodale bought them and repeated all the articles from mens health etc and I no longer get those mags, but Forza seems to be going the same route... someone had to buy the rag from the original editors and creators

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #75 judge4re, Dec 25, 2010