Tackling the Timing Belts...A couple of Questions | FerrariChat

Tackling the Timing Belts...A couple of Questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by Vivaldi, Dec 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    #1 Vivaldi, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With a questionable service pedigree on my 87 Mondial, decided I would sleep much better after a timing belt (and tensioner) R&R. Also, I am worried it may have slipped a tooth or two recently (that will be a whole other post, if I find out it did).

So, I read every post out there on the subject, including the great step by steps from Birdman and Rob H, acquired the parts and decided to plunge in over the Holidays starting today.

Rear bank went rather well and other than needing to brush up on my contortionist act, got the belt cover off and no major surprises so far!...knock on wood. Reasonably dry oil wise. Found a Freon leak at the compressor (no surprise) and a water pump leak at two of the lower bolts.

Car appears to have had at least one belt change (hand painted marks on pulleys, etc.) in its prior history. Car has less than 32,000 miles on it, so mileage-wise, I was OK, but unknown age wise. BTW, forgive the dirty appearance... never tore into it before today...will clean up as I go.

So, with renewed enthusiasm, started to tackle the front bank. Oh well, so much for making more progress. Cannot figure out how to remove the Sankyo A/C compressor. Brackets are on studs and compressor will not come close to sliding off the studs before hitting the air inlet which is riveted to the body. To add insult to injury, the A/C belt will not even slip off the compressor pulley...insufficient clearance between the compressor and the bracket. How anyone is supposed to R&R the A/C belt is beyond me...

Anybody out there done a timing belt job on a Mondial with this Sankyo compressor? If so, suggestions as to where to take it apart? Please refer to attached parts drawing and identify by item number on the drawing (would make my life much simpler rather than interpreting names, etc.). Thanks a million!!!

Also, on a simpler note, does the harmonic balancer have to come off to install the timing belts or can they be wriggled into place without doing so?

Looking forward to some helpful answers, since belt job is the easy and satisfying part of the job...after gaining access.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    #2 Vivaldi, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017