Mistress, New Girlfriend, or wife | FerrariChat

Mistress, New Girlfriend, or wife

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MS250, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How loves your fcar ?

1. Wife loves your fcar

2. New Girlfreind loves your fcar

3. Wife doesnt care, but mistress loves it

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Who likes your car the most and gets turned on? Is it your girlfriend, wife, or mistress. I thought this would be fun since my wife likes the TR but couldn't care whether I kept it or lost it in a card game. But when alone the girls seem to be very eager to smile. Just curious if your wives or other reacts the same.

2. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    My wife obsolutely detests my car addiction.... We got seperated three times over the course of two years, all as a result of my obsessive compulsive with buying exotic cars. Can't comment on the other issues for fear it might be presented in court someday over alimony...lol.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    congrats on bieng able to have those cars, people like you are an inspiration for the rest of us. sorry to hear about a " difficult" wife. its statements like the one you made that scare the hell out of me. i suspect i will be alone, old and found dead with tools in my hands in a garage full of exotic cars and bikes!!!!

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

MY wife loves my Dino, and the 911, and is on my side during the current search for a Maserati Spyder. When I suggested I trade in the 911, she found out what they were offering and said, "KEEP IT!" that's not enough money for the car.

So, there it is. Great wife, supports the addiction, doesn't want to drive them. What more could you ask? Oh, and she's bright, articulate, beautiful (ex Ford agency model), tough as nails when required (retired FBI agent), and a great mom.

I could not be luckier.

5. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    You won the lotto with that one buddy. Let me know if you ever decide to trade HER in. ;)

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I think that is a good test of a great prospective woman. How does she react to your F-car? If she is cool and genuinely supportive, then great a keeper. But, if she "grinds" you over it, then a dumper. How do you know that she won't grind down the road? I think if she grinds at the beginning then it will only get worse all around.

Anyone agree?

When I got mine, I never herd the end of it from the girlfriend. I later found that this was only the tip of the iceberg. Well, she's gone now(the girlfriend), I'll miss her ;)

7. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Lucky man dm n stuff! Let me know if you decide to trade HER in as well.

I feel sorry for some of you guys. Most women I have met have been awed by my car. I guess I just attract that type of woman. Owning my first F car was a rush and that just made me happy and I wanted to make my girlfriend (now fiancee) happy.
    My general observation is a guy who buys an F car out of insecurity such as a recent divorce, trying to prove somehting, getting old, can't get it up, small d***, lonely, you know the type of F-owener or wannabe i'm talking about, usually ends up with girls, wives or mistresses just like them, insecure, unsupportive. it's usually a two way street, you put out the vibe and thats what you get back and it usually ends up biting you in the a** don't get me wrong, owning a F-car in my eyes is a great achievement.
    Just my two cents.

8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    My wife doesn't like the car for every reason i love it and thats fine by me:
    its too noisy
    it smells like gas
    it smells like xhaust
    it makes the hair stand up on your neck
    did I mention it was to noisy!!!

If she loved it as much as me we would have to fight over who was going to drive. She love me i love her and I LOVE the car. period

9. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    My wife accepts my love for exotic sports cars, so long as she gets her jewellaries. lol.

To get her involved and to pacify her I always get make it seem that she's the one that choose the colour. That way she feels she had a say.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Tom my gf and i are always on off because of the car issues, i have one car that has been in restoration for 4 years, another for 5, the ferrari is whacked, the rover came and went, the ducatis went from 916 to 996 to 999 to 999 fila in one year and she is pissed because i won't drive 100miles south to see her and fix her rattling tailpipe. yet she insists i take the nicest car of whatever i have at that time to come pick her up at a friends'.

almost forgot to mention, i have 8 bikes varying from hill climb, to sprint, to distance and time trials. and with the wheels i have a possible 300+ combonations depending ion road conditions, wind, weather temperature and road quality.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    My wife has been around F-cars for quite a while. She appreciates them but is indifferent. However, between the 550 and the 'ol 355....she preferred driving the 355.

DL

12. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Feel sorry for those whose partners grind them over their cars. It doesn't matter that it's a Ferrari, it's the fact that they choose to be difficult over something that makes their partner happy. It probably does come down to insecurity.

Fortunately, my wife is pretty cool. In fact she stepped in and stopped me selling my 456 when I was raising some cash for a business venture. She would have stopped me selling my 360 too, if I had told her I was going to do it. Definitely a keeper.

13. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Absolutely right 456mgt..!

My wife is a sweetie about my cars. She wouldn't mind if I spent my last penny on them (which, in the case of the Daytona, I pretty much did...!).

..And, after a short period of indifference, she kinda gets fond of them. She was more sorry than I was to see the 911 go - and now she's started saying nice things about the Ferrari (feels more comfortable being seen in it, loves the seats etc etc).

She's a very low key person, but I think has a secret liking for being seen in a flashy sports car. Honestly - how shallow can you get..?

Bless her...!

John

PS I think a better poll question is:

Do you think of your Ferrari as...

A wife
    A girlfriend
    A mistress...?

(or the male equivalents of course..)

Does someone want to set it up..?

PPS Mine's a mistress (and a bloody expensive one).

14. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    My wife love ours as much as I do, in fact she wants her own someday.
    LOL of cousre she wants TR so she can go faster then me

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    (Humor) Hmmm, you guys keep mentioning these "wife" things and am curious. Never had one so please excuse me for any perceived ignorance.

Do they come with a warranty/guarantee?

i realize keeping a Ferrari maintained is around $1/mile, how expensive are these wife things to maintain?

Is there anything one should look out for or have done (PPI for example) before getting one of these wife things?

Are any certain year/models better than others?

Are there really any advantages to these wife things over, say, multiple girlfriends?

Have i forgotten to ask anything else? These wife things seem like a not so good deal, and i hear they can spawn things like something called Children??? Dare i ask the cost/maintenance of those???

Enjoy the Humor,

Steven R. Rochlin

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

17. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I've got a completely different twist: I live in NYC and I'm single, but I've generally received disinterest, negativity and/or reproach when a girl or girlfriend finds out I have an F-car, a reaction completely opposite to what the majority of you seemingly find elsewhere.

David

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I was pro cyclist when I met my wife. When she saw the 5 bikes in my basement plus enough parts to build another 3 bikes that may have tipped her off as to my gear addiction. I told her that if I didn't like incredible machinery as much as I do, I would have been a distance runner instead. :)

I also alluded to this in another thread but I flat out told her in the first week that we were dating that one day I was going to have a Ducati and a Ferrari in the garage so be prepared. Considering that it's the only addiction I have (never ever drank, smoked, did drugs, gambled, etc) and the rest of my life is pretty quiet, I think that she;s coming out ahead :)

At any rate, other than when I went to the track my Ducati on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, she's never not supported my passions. However, she tries pretty hard to not mention to people that I have a Ferrari as she doesn't want anyone to know how much money I make.

19. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

DUDE..... your wife and mine are the same person!!!!!! Where do you live?

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    When we were dating, I made it clear to my wife that I would one *at least one* Ferrari once we got established (I had already been bitten by a mosquito carrying the tifosi ferraria virus). She grinned and played along, but we did have many arguments/discussions about Ferrari ownership where she said they're too flashy and people will think things about us (basically that we're selfish and worldly). She's on the shy side.

Her frugal family freaked out and thought I was the devil that I would spend "so much on just a car." And as it turned out my wife admitted after we were married a while that when we were dating/engaged she mistakenly thought that she could *change me* and make me be more like her :D.

Interestingly enough, what finally changed her mind was last summer we went for a drive in my uncle's old Nissan 300ZTT, and when she saw how giddy I was driving a sports car down these country roads she turned and said "aww, you can get a 308, after law school..." Victory! Since then I got it up to a 328 and "soon after graduation," which will mean Christmas '06. Of course, by then maybe 355's would be in range ;-).

21. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hmmm..."Too noisy", "Smells like gas", "Makes the hair on your neck stand up". Are we talking about the wife or the Ferrari?!

Just kidding, obviously.

I couldn't vote, since the poll doesn't include "Next door neighbor's 4 year-old" as a choice :)

My wife is awesome. Not only has she embraced my lifelong romance with F1, she kept encouraging me to get the Ferrari. Not for any sort of image reasons, but because she knew I had always wanted one, and it was something important to me. Pretty cool, I think.

22. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    dm n stuff too bad she doesn't have any cousins because I have lots of single friends.

My GF was worried about the same things at first that the car was too flashy and people would think. After that talk/argument/discussion she was real supportive. She really saw how happy it made me and she liked how little kids just admired the guy. it's all a been a balancing act, making her feel important. I guess I just don't understand the whole GF "grinding" idea. Most of the guys here seem to have worked out some sort of agreement.

23. larz

larz Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I agree. Just a thought, maybe GF's or wives grind because us noncommunicative guys just express how important the passion of owning a F-car is. Some F-car owners get a bit possessive and don't want to share the experience. My GF felt a bit let out at first. Just glad the talks/discussions helped. The other day my GF said if she had the $$ she would buy me another F-car!!!! Things do change and miracles can happen!

What about starting a thread should single women own Ferrari's and what does that signify to you guys out there? Maybe not even Ferrari, but any sports car such as a maserati, porsche, beemer. Any thoughts on this?

24. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    My wife almost divorced me because after being married for 6 months I went out and bought the first Porsche 944 in the dealer. She freaked out, the old, no house, no own office etc. etc. But after 22 years, 4 Porsches, 2 Austin Healeys, 4 e-types etc. leading up to my Boxer she has been worn down and now deals with it and induges me. She will never be into the car thing but will at least go for a ride. she cant drive stick so will never ever drive any of my cars, all is well, for now

25. enzorio2001

enzorio2001 Rookie

Feb 21, 2004
    Long Beach/Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    My girlfriend and I have had a fabulous time riding my F-car especially in Australia. She loves learning about new things and I have been more then willing to indulge her in my F-car addiction. We had some, how do you put it, "grinding" sessions, it all worked out. I do have the F-car addiction but in the end, dare I say this, I really like my girlfriend, wanted her in my life as much as the F-car and we came to an agreement. you mention the GF being gone in a few threads. just relax and go drive that F-car!!! Maybe you will work it out with the GF. Its usually more about some underlying issue then the F-car if you really listen. Women are much more complex then us. Just a comment and not meaning to be condescending.