Best Mechanic in the Midwest? | FerrariChat

Best Mechanic in the Midwest?

Discussion in 'North Midwest - USA (ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, IL)' started by Gumart1, Dec 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    I'm in Illinois and found I've found half a dozen shops within a 6 hour drive to work on my newly purchased '96 F355 Spider. Because my car was a salvage/rebuilt, I realize that the car may never sell for a premium. I want to be careful in choosing an honest mechanic who will not oversell me on unnecessary repairs, or overcharge for what he finds. I've received prices all over the board for the 30k major; many insist on replacing everything, others do a "basic" major. What should I insist on for this service? I will first do a leak-down/compression test before proceeding. I spoke to George Evans at Evans Automotive in Columbus, seemed like a great guy and very reasonable on the major $3400-$4k + parts; however I found some posts on this site claiming he is the Highest priced after the car is in his hands. Just need some good guidance and input. Thanks

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I don't personally know any Ferrari shops in the immediate area. I did however buy my car from George Evans and other than a few small issues (unrelated to the major) the car is tip top. They just did the engine out major on the car previous to me buying it and looking over the car all the work performed seems to have been done to a high standard. (as much of it that I can see).

3. billwann

billwann Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Bristol Wisconsin .
    Full Name:
    Bill Wann
    I have had both my 360 and 355 and all my other cars serviced by Greg at personalized automotive . He owns the shop with his dad Joe . They both worked at lake forest sports cars for over twenty years . You wont find a nicer more honest shop and the prices are good too .
    Give him a call , This is his direct number , 262 705 4705 .

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    thats a SE wisconsin number, where are they located? I'm closing the deal on mine this thursday and having a reasonable Indy is a major plus.

5. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    My opinion is best in the area is Euroquipe in St. Charles, IL. (630) 377-3774. Tim is the shop owner/mechanic but Kurt is the Ferrari guy (formerly of Lake Forest). Honest to a fault, will tell you what needs attention and what can wait and most importantly to me, they do the job right the first time. I've got to the point where I will only purchase what they will service. Thankfully, Ferrari falls under that umbrella.

6. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    John Hajduk MotorKraft
    Noblesville IN
    317-846-5203

Giovanni D' Avola Autosprint
    Chicago
    773-685-0930

7. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    Also

Autocar sports and classics
    Brian Stewart
    Indianapolis
    317-271-9955

8. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Earl Gibbs at East Coast Exotics in Cleveland. Bit of a drive though.

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    The last major on my 328 (in 2006) was done by Kurt at Euroquipe. They did a fine job for the same price Lake Forest Spotscars quoted me - a little over $5800. That was for the basic belt and tensioner replacement and valve adjustment. No water pump or "extras".

My next major, in 2011, will be done by Al Pinkowsky at GT Motorsports in suburban Milwaukee. Guessing it will be around $3500 for the same service. Al has a 308 and I trust him totally with my car.

GT Motorsports
    520 A Capitol Drive
    Pewaukee, WI 53072
    (262) 695-4238

10. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    Tim Keseluk. His username on here is 2NA.

Rojo likes this.
  11. teatime

teatime Rookie

Mar 8, 2009
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Full Name:
    Todd A.
    +1 to Al at GT Morotsports.

He is the only person that will touch my 308. I see 355's & Testarossa's in his shop all the time. This last summer he even he did a complete engine pull on a 512bb. He knows these cars inside & out.

It is a bit of a hike for me, I live in Round Lake, IL and he is 1 1/2 hours away, but it's worth it becuase he knows what he is doing and is reasonably priced.

He's also great becuase he does it all. He's a one man shop, so you get very personalized service.

12. let's play

let's play Rookie

Apr 19, 2011
    teatime, we too are in RL. you happen to be in Valley lakes? Looking at 355's, how is alex at st charles motor cars? He has been quite helpful so far.

cale

13. teatime

teatime Rookie

Mar 8, 2009
    NW Burbs, Chicago
    Full Name:
    Todd A.
    I'm over in the Prairie Walk. Sorry, don't know Alex at St. Charles. If you're looking at 355s I know that Al at GT Motorsports has one in his shop for sale. As I just picked my car up from him last week. It looks to be in perfect shape, but don't know more than that. It's a GTB and seemed resonably priced.

14. Danny T.

Danny T. Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    Hi wondering if anyone STILL knows of a trustful reputable independent shop in Illinois ( im near Chicago) I can travel to Wis or IN.

15. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Still -

GT Motorsports
    520 B Capitol Drive
    Pewaukee, WI 53072
    (262) 695-4238

Just had another cambelt service done on my 328 by Al. He's a no-BS kind of guy.

Euroquipe in St. Charles doesn't do Ferraris anymore.

Huskerbill likes this.
  16. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    AutoSprint in Chicago has been around longer than I've been alive.

17. Danny T.

Danny T. Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.

18. Danny T.

Danny T. Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    Thank you soo much Jeff, I will really look into them and read their reviews, and perfect because I really don't wan't to pay Illinois/ Chicago prices hahaa..

Huskerbill likes this.
  19. Danny T.

Danny T. Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel T.
    Thank you CAS I will look into them as well and compare service prices. I need F1 fluid service and flush. Hopefully the pieces are not too bad and I dont have to travel far.

20. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    I second the motion with regards to Personalized Auto in WI. I have had several Ferrari's serviced there with good results.

21. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I had my Mondial done by Personalized Auto as well last Fall. I can vouch for him as well. Nice guy and does things right.