To any/all 348 SS owners in the DC/Balt. area.. | FerrariChat

To any/all 348 SS owners in the DC/Balt. area..

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by blue986, Jan 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I originally posted this question inthe 348/355 section, but figured I'd post here as well since I know there are a couple SS owners in the area: Have any of you local SS owners "upgraded" the original single can exhaust to an aftermarket exhaust? If so, what did you upgrade to and did you do cats as well? Did the upgrade make a noticeable "improvement" (subjectively speaking) in sound. Last, if you could do it all over again, would you do the same upgrade or something different.

I am thinking about an exhaust upgrade during my major sometime in the next couple of months, but am on the fence as to whether it's worth it. I am not really interested in the sound of something like a stage 2 or 3 Capristo (too loud I'm assuming) but would be interested in something a little more racy than stock with a little bit of shreik at higher RPM. I have not heard another 348 - SS or otherwise - outside of my own car so I only have my exhaust note as a reference point.

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,
    Matt

2. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Talk to Eric (his screen name here is modena2904) - he's in Ellicot city and is close to you to meet face to face.

3. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Skip the cost and horsepower "gains" of the designer exhaust systems and just ditch the cats for test pipes.

LS

4. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Matt,

I have Tubi with Hyperflow cats on my car. It's had this exhaust since I've owned it, so I don't really have a good basis to compare with the stock single can, or the stock exhaust with test pipes, as Lash suggests. (I will say that when Lash took a ride in my car this past fall, he commented about how great it sounded! :) )

If we have some continued salt-free weather, maybe we could get the cars together for a side-by-side live comparison. That would be the best way to tell if you think the sound is worth the $$.

- Eric

5. blue986

blue986 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Eric-

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely take you up on that side by side comprison. That is exctly what I need and why I posted in the MAR. I'll send you a PM with my details so we can get in contact with eachother.

6. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Indeed, Eric's car sounds awesome. Eric's car is just plain awesome generally speaking as well.

LS

7. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    Having a proper "merged" type exhaust installed is one of the greatest mods for the 348.

These motors have the same flat plane crank sound as the other Ferrari V8's and accentuating it gives the 348 a much stronger personality.

The test pipes are a great option but to really make it sing you need to ditch the stock muffler and replace it with a "merged" type exhuast and to get EXACTLY the pitch and volume you want you should have a system custom built.

8. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N61PRbKjPuc[/ame]

test pipes and a quicksilver exhaust . video back in 2008 . cant say the exhaust did much but the test pipes sure did!

9. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mdshore348 has one of the best sounding 348s. I'll see if I can dig up some video and post later.