Simthsonian Air & Space - which one? | FerrariChat

Simthsonian Air & Space - which one?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Gershwin, Jan 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Heading to D.C. - going to hit the museums. Which is the better Air & Space museum or are the equally great in their own right?

Any other must see you'd suggest?

Going to:
    Changing of the guard-Arlington
    American History Museum
    Ford's Theatre

thx

2. rwdCivic

rwdCivic Rookie

Nov 27, 2009
    DC
    Full Name:
    N. Hadley
    Air and Space is all under one roof if you don't like one you are already in the other WIN WIN!

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #3 toggie, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I assume the OP is referring to the Udvar-Hazy National Air & Space Museum and the National Air & Space Museum "National Mall Building" in DC.

I really like both of them. The Udvar-Hazy museum is near Dulles Airport and is bigger and has larger planes like the Space Shuttle, Concorde, Enola Gay, etc.

Both have an IMAX theater in them that show great aviation-or-space-related movies. Highly recommended.

More info and pics here:
    http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/?hp=m

Here are pics of the two "display facilities" of the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    I would definitely check out the American Indian Museum.

5. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    The Udvar-Hazy center is essential for anyone even remotely interested in aircraft.

6. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    If coming up 95 stop at the Museum of THE MARINE CORPS Quantico VA

7. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #7 CrusaderTBC, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    Both are great venues. They have different exhibits. Also, check out the National Portrait Gallery if you choose DC. Grab a bite at the Mitsitam Cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian

8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yea, I would go here. They have the SR71, Space Shuttle, Egnola Gay and a bunch of other cool aircraft on display there. Plus they have simulators and air traffic tower to watch landings and such. Plus no downtown headache traffic!!!! Another bonus, FOW is just down the street, if you wanna take a peek.

Second, would probably American History, they have the dinosaur exhibits, pretty cool stuff or the Marine Corps Musuem.

9. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Great Help - Yes I was referring to the 2 different museums.

Ok - I'll put the American Indian Museum on the list as well as the Marine Museum.

Thank you for the help.

10. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I haven't seen them yet, but I think the Spy Museum and the Holocaust Museum would be worth visiting.

As far as seeing the dinosaur bones, I think that is in the Museum of Natural History (which also has an IMAX theater in it, showing mostly animal films).

11. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    #11 DevonL, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    I haven't been to the Spy Museum yet though I have been to the Holocaust Museum a few times. It's worth going to, though no where near what I was hoping it would be. A lot of it talked about the overall build up to the Holocaust - at least as I recall that's what a lot of it seemed to be about.

The Museum of Natural History is certainly worth going to, I'm not too sure what exhibits they have rotating through at the moment but it's generally very interesting.

12. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Air and Space, holocaust, American history and natural history are all worth seeing. In my opinion, the spy museum is a money grab and not worth the price of admission.

As a DC local, my wife and I recently did the tourist thing and did a Segway tour of DC. It was a ton of fun, and was worth the time. It might be too cold this time of year, but if the weather cooperates, it is worth it as well.

13. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I haven't been to Udvar Hazy, but have heard it is excellent. The only problem is that it's not near anything.

The one downtown is amongst a bunch of other museums. You could hit 3-4 different themes in the same day, grab dinner and drinks in Chinatown..then take the subway back to where you are staying.

Try both if you can.

LS

14. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Other than the Spy Museum which could be perused in about 2hrs, the other museums will likely take 5-6hrs to explore in detail. I don't know how much time you have allotted to the museum visit, but I'd recommend scheduling no more than 2 museums on any day. The Udvar-Hazy facility is located out by Dulles Airport and will likely be a whole day event in itself.

15. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
    I think the Air and Space location in the National Mall is better, although the other one does hold the SR-71 Blackbird.

Don't forget to check out the Museum of Natural History, which is fantastic!

16. Mojosan

Mojosan Formula 3

Jan 31, 2008
    NJ
    Udvar-Hazy museum is my single very absolutely favorite single place on earth.

17. RAP

RAP Rookie

Apr 3, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Udvar -Hazy is well worth the time to go see it ,any plane buff would love it ,and the Blackbird is center stage in the floor .

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You picked a cold time of year!

Others here have provided good advice. I'll only add that the Smithsonian Air and Space museum is conveniently located to other museums and monuments so it might be easier to see more and pack it into your trip.

Depending on where you are staying, Udvar-Hazy near Dulles might be a little far. Though, if I had to choose one or the other, I'd see Udvar-Hazy.

Have fun

19. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Udvar-Hazy is for the aviation buff who loves planes and other aircraft. It is kind of the bulk raw experiance. Not so much a teaching tool the way the original is, more just a showing off of what they got. Plus you are talking an hour and a half or so of travel going back and forth from downtown.

20. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I hate to take things off topic, but wanted to address your opinion of the Holocaust Museum. You are spot on. There is a huge reason for the way things are addressed. The overall build up to the Holocaust took a while, there were tons of points in time where the world community could have put a stop to it but instead stood by. The Holocaust Museum is a memorial to those that suffered and those that were killed in the atrocities, but its main intention is to never let it happen again. By showing the build up, it is hoped that the leaders of the world will learn to recognize when such things are happening again and to inspire them to step up and put a stop to it. Unfortunately these things are still happening in the world, but there have been others that have been stopped. Always Remember so that this will Never Happen Again.

21. RedBody

RedBody Rookie

Dec 13, 2010
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Barby
    National Museum of Health and Medicine, hands down. They have actual human body parts there.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very much agree. I found it very thought provoking and moving. I was definitely in a different state of mind leaving than going in and I am quite familiar with the history.

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are over 50 do not miss the Viet Nam War Memorial.

24. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #24 toggie, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the hidden side exhibits at Udvar-Hazy is a collection of various airplane engines.
    It was great to see these massive WWII-era piston engines up close.

Check out the detail on these engine pics.
    The first pic is an Rolls Royce/Packard Merlin V-1650-7. (V12, 1650 cu in, 1490 hp, weighs 905 lbs, used in P-40 and most P-51 planes).
    Second pic is an Allison V-1710-33. (V12, 1710 cu in, 1040 hp, weighs 1340 lbs, used in P-40 and early P-51 planes).
    Second pic was taken from up above, leaning over the hand rail of the metal stairs.

25. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky