Benny Caiola Collection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Benny Caiola Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by benedict, Dec 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    err, no.

same engine block, yes; but even then lots of internal differences.

2. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
  3. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    To be honest, I thought the sale would happen allot sooner than this. He had some real quality cars.

If I remember correctly, he's owned three Zondas and two Enzos as well as various other Lamborghini's. Curious to know exactly how many cars are being kept by the family.

A man who will truly will be missed!

_J

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Did he have the Zondas registered for street use?

Was it on the "foreign national temporarily in the USA" deal (whatever it's called)?

Just curious, as I think I would be eligible for that, if that's how they were registered. If I had a Zonda :)

5. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #30 250californiafan, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From what I read, Zondas can't be registered for street use and are not eligible for "Show and Display" status. I think Benny and a few others used a loophole by running dealer plates on the car so they would not have to be formally registered. Every time that I saw his red Zonda it was running a dealer plate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The estimate on the 333 seems a bit high. Also interesting that the Zonda and two Enzos aren't being auctioned.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sheehan has a 333SP for 995k. Hasnt moved for a few months though. I would think $800k would be a good buy in this market.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Symbolic has had a 333 the last few times I've been there. Not sure if it is for sale or just on display.

9. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Very nice collection, hope they go to a good home.

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Benny lived a big life and is a role model to all of us. I think he had a great life and enjoyed it as much as possible.

Cant ask for more than that

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    True!

12. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Impressive :)

13. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That's how you drive an FXX in florida!

_J

14. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    #39 konatown, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I think $500K-$800K is a much better estimate, taking into account history, condition, service, etc.

16. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    No 28

17. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    shameless bump.

18. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Wow THREE Zonda's!? Are those the only Zonda's in the US?

Anyone know what's going to happen with the Zonda's since they can't be auctioned?

Chris

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #44 BigTex, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
    My opinion is they are only auctioning enough cars to settle up the Estate, not his entire collection at all.

None of his Lamborghinis are on the block.......he had his favorites, but his hiers might have slightly different criteria.......the overhaul on a 333SP engine is measured in what ....hours????? :D :D :D

20. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There's a few on the west coast, but same deal. Registered to a 'manufacturer' and probably only good for sale across an ocean or two.

21. fer15

fer15 Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    Recently I noticed a tribute to my dear friend Benny Caiola and his family. The first time I met Benny was at Bridgehampton we sat on the wall before the Bridge and and that was the beginning of a long relationship starting in the Ferrari club in the late 80's (when the Ferrari club was a different sort) We all came on street tires and stayed at local lodgings and dined at the American Hotel. As time went on the cars became more powerful and more venues opened and throughout Benny remained a constant fixture a source of fun laughter and his bright view of things as well as his practical jokes. Benny had an answer for everything from his upbringing and his fathers work and ethic. We became good friends and he is missed. Benny's philosophy for example while on the treadmill the woman next to him ran at a faster pace. Benny's comment" I can't get faster legs but I can get a faster car"
    Benny was a good family man bright inventiveness made him a respected amongst his friends, peers and Ferrarisiti. (Actually, all exotic motor vehicles) and celebrities (too many to list here). Up until a year or two we spent many hours at tracks all over the country and Canada. Unfortunately, I never was able to participate in some of the more sophisticated programs (FXX), which made him a a respected driver and person of note.
    I am not going to write a book here but will share on amusing story of many. We flew down to Sumit point and Benny sat in the back of the rental car the third person does not drive in the dark and this my first driving experience in Virginia a 45 min to an hour ride into a 3and 1/2 hour trip. Of course no one in the rural Virginia could not understand our NY accent and we certainly did not understand the drawl so we kept going as a shot in the dark. We were getting hungry, we ahd no food save for a bag of pumpkin seed controlled by Benny. Of jokingly it was my fault. My punishment was to be bombarded with pumpkin seed empty shell to the tune of about a pound 1/2 in my hair and the other 1/2 in the car.. Most who knew Benny share the same feelings as i do.. I will never forget his stance against the background of a sea of red Ferrari as he stood hat cocked to the side one lower extremity rotated his hip pitched to the side and a smile as you approached. I learned a great deal from this fine gentleman and he will sorely be missed amongst his friends and family. Benny helped make the Ferrari experience for all of s who new him. Our sympathy to his family. Leonard Jaffe,MD

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ben, what happened with the Enzos?

23. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant

Good story. I was introduced to Benny at Limerock several years ago at the Ferrari Maserati track day. Nice guy, great collection. RIP

24. fer15

fer15 Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    On1-15-2011 I submitted a tribute to Benny Caiola I am new at this forum. I cannot find the article?

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It is in Post #46 just above this one you have made today.....welcome!!!!