Canadian ownership | FerrariChat

Canadian ownership

Discussion in '360/430' started by RIX 360, Jan 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RIX 360

RIX 360 Karting

May 12, 2004
    West Palm Beach, FL.
    Full Name:
    Ric Newman
    A gentleman from Canada has expressed interest in my 430 Spider but says a letter from a Ferrari dealer saying the car conforms to Canadian rules is needed to be able to register the car in Canada. He said importing to Canada ia easy but registering the car is not.
    Is anybody familiar with this ???
    Thanks,
    Ric

2. blackwidow

blackwidow Rookie

May 26, 2009
  3. RIX 360

RIX 360 Karting

May 12, 2004
    West Palm Beach, FL.
    Full Name:
    Ric Newman
    Thank you kind sir.

4. blackwidow

blackwidow Rookie

May 26, 2009
    your welcomed.

5. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Don't bother with the "letter", which a dealer or FNA will likely charge a ridiculous amount for.

Instead, ask your service department to provide you with a "Campaign Printout" that will show all performed and out standing recalls on your F430. This should be free of charge.

If there are any out standing recalls, they will need to be performed before the car can be imported into Canada.

I've imported dozens of Ferraris into Canada from the US... If you have any other questions about requirements or the process in general, let me know.

6. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The easiest way is #2 on the riv.ca list which is

"A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.

This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication."

It may be difficult to obtain as Ferrari NA has instructed its dealers not to give this out. However, with a bit of legwork and a few bucks, anything is possible.

7. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The printout should be free and no dealer will refuse the request of the existing, local owner.

8. RIX 360

RIX 360 Karting

May 12, 2004
    West Palm Beach, FL.
    Full Name:
    Ric Newman
    Gentleman, thank you one and all.

9. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    "should" is the key word. They refused to print it out for the owner when I bought mine and my car had to be shipped to another state to another dealer to get it.

10. petretta

petretta Karting

Mar 5, 2010
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    DP
    Guys, I brought my Scud in from the US last year and although the process CAN be very simple, Ferrari NA has made sure to protect it's Canadian dealers by requiring a Clearance Letter which can only (theoretically) be obtained by an Authorized dealer. The charge for this letter is astronomical and I did everything in an attempt to procure this item myself. I spoke with Ferrari NA myself on numerous occasions and although they were very polite and insightful they refused to provide the letter to me directly. They did however offer to run the VIN to ensure there were no issues with the car.

11. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    my experience was exactly the same.