thinking about going to the darkside... | FerrariChat

thinking about going to the darkside...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Jan 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have talked about this in the 456 and lambo and british sections, but thought i would open the discussion to a wider audience....

basically i am bored with my 456mgt. i have had it for nearly 4 years. i have put about 15k km on it in that time - a combo of daily driving on my short commute, and a few treks to the riviera and/or italy. the car is fine overall, it just isnt doing it for me anymore.

so, i was thinking of a vanquish. many opinions on that car given in the 456 section, and it has its faults and low points of course, but it is definitely a better looking car in my opinion, and at the most i would be exchanging one set of cons vs another.

but then i found a murcielago at a reasonable price and normal colors (grey over black)...and it really started to intrigue me. i love 12 cuylinder cars and i like them mid-engined...and ferrari dont make that anymore...so this has a certain attraction to me. i never considered myself a lambo person in the past for all sorts of reasons, and maybe this is a mid-life crisis of sorts, but i like that car. it would have to be capable of DD duties, but the evo guy seems to make that work.

so, there it is. comments from the site at large?

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Buy whatever makes your neurons want to jump out of your skull. If that car is a Trabant, a Honda a Ferrari or a Lambo...get whatever is in your means that makes your neurons cry for dear life every time you drive it.

If a Lambo isn't like bathing with a radio in bathwater, nothing is.

Go for it.

3. flupke73

flupke73 Rookie

Sep 7, 2006
    European Union
    buy something that feels 'special'
    a Vanquish WAS a great car, now you really need to find a manual 'S'
    I'ld go for the Lambo, it'll blow your socks of anytime you'll drive it

todays BIG GT's are just fast/slightly better looking Mercs
    I'd rather have a real Sportscar,
    V12Ferrari's: only with handling pack option f.e.

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    What he said..... in spades...

Go with your gut....

Mike

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I've driven them and like them a lot. My only criticism is that the clutch in the 6sp I drove seemed to have little feel and was a bit too on/off. I think a paddle shift would feel better in that car.

I agree about V 12's they're great and a dying breed.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd try driving your TR or Boxer daily for a few weeks, and then see if you still want to drive a mid engine 12 daily.

If it were me, I'd get a 612. Which is what I actually did.

But, if the Lambo is what gets you going, then go for it!

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the tr and the boxer do not have power anything, and as you already imply, would make very poor daily drivers. but your point is well made....

perhaps the vanquish is the more rational DD replacement choice.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Seems to me what you are desirous of is a McLaren F1. V12, light weight, low levels of electronics, goes fast......

Now if Ferrari could only put a V12 in a 2600 pound car.....

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #9 PV Dirk, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    I want a Lambo too. The mid engines just feel more exotic and I can just sit and stare at a Lamborghini for hours.

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    The Vanquish would be my choice.
    Manuals only were offered at the very end but at a steep custom premium. They only made a couple worldwide.
    Actually "normal" Vanquishs are pretty good deals in the used car market.
    There is a stunning green one locally with 10k miles at $70k or so.
    Nothing sounds like a Vanq.
    The car exudes class.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't know anyone who daily drives a Murcielago. The 456 was designed to be a 'normal' car, which may be why you're bored with it. They are easy to get in and out of, carry stuff, and won't disappear into a pothole.

As far as Lamborghini style, I'm pretty conservative and to me the Countach and Diablo look like pimpmobiles (except maybe the early LP400 Countach before it got Pontiac-ed with all the plastic cladding, wings, etc.) The Murcielago design is a lot cleaner, IMHO, but you're still screaming LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!! every time you drive it, and scissor doors seem kind of adolescent. Up to you whether that's your thing, but I couldn't stand it.

The Vanquish is more tasteful, although I like the Ferrari 550/575 more. If I had an extra garage bay, it would be really hard not to do a 550 at this point.

Tom Papadopoulos at Auto Sport Design in NY had several of these that were converted by Aston to a manual gearbox. If I were out for a Vanquish, that would be the way I would go. Apparently (I haven't driven one so don't know from personal experience) the paddle shift in the Vanquish is unreliable and buggy.

12. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    The doors are very convenient when in tight spaces.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Hey nothing says you cant buy a Murcielago and try to DD for 6 months and if it doesnt work, just use it as week end toy and get a used 997 for DD purpose.

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    No problem using it as a DD. If you can avoid reversing ;)

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    actually you guys made me realize something.....my problem is not so much the 456, but that i have NOT been driving my other ferraris at all for about 4-6 months. partly my own fault since all the 512tr needs is a new battery, but the cs and the bbi have been laid up for months. so the only interesting car to drive is the 456, and it has become ordinary in the process - instead of the relief that it appears to be after some stints in the others...

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I was looking at a 550 at one point and the dealer had Vanquish in the same show room.
    Dont get me wrong the 550 is a great car but the Vanquish just has this presence. Hard to describe.
    Supossedly the paddle shift is not all that bad reliability wise but yes a stick would be first choice. But I think an Aston aftermarket kit is like $20k ! !

Ended up with a Boxer.

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's strange the 456 has become ordinary. I have DD my 997 for 4 years now and 80.000 kms and it's always a blast. Maybe you just need a tubi on your 456 ?

18. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I just said to my wife today that I SHOULD own a Lambo sometime during my life...
    being 40, I should start thinking more about it. A Lambo (for me) is on the list of cars that would be fun to have for a year or two.
    Why not?
    Its not a marriage. Sure, it could hurt a bit, but would probably be a blast while it lasted!

19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Lambo's are are a lot of fun, but probably not your daily driver as you would get annoyed with a few things pretty quickly. They are best for when the "mood" is right.