Ferrari 550 Purchase Dilema | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 Purchase Dilema

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by stephens, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I have a 1999 build, 2000 delivery Ferrari 550, 11,000km's, silver with black in my drive at the moment. It is a friends car, at a very good price, 100k under local dealer prices and 50K under private sales, which he has kindly given me for the weekend. There are quite a few around at the moment, so they are fairly slow selling and he is looking for quick money. My dilema is this. I have already signed for a Lambo Gallardo, but have not taken delivery, or paid for it yet. From a moral perspective I don't want to screw the dealer, but hell the 550 is easily as quick as the Gallardo, feels better, isn't as ostentatios, doesn't have the same problems with the front being so low, it scrapes everywhere, has reasonable storage and it's $150K Aussie cheaper too.
    What should I do????

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The heck with it, buy both.

Or, buy the 550. The Lambo dealer won't have any trouble selling the car he has assigned to you. ask him. Is he a friend? Are you worried about putting the screws to a pal? Shouldn't be a big deal, should it?

Saw a very nice 550 at a dealer today 1999, for $132K US very clean, low miles, for comparison purposes.

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    550's are between 300-380K AUD right now, list on a 575M is 610K on road, but you can pick one up for around 500K new.
    The car is being offered at 250K and the Gallardo is 400K. I really would like both but she who must be obeyed won't agree. I already have an E55, Ducati 999, BMW 330 convertible, Vito van (for the Ducati)and Magna station wagon. She is pushing for the Ferrari, so we can spend more on a new house. I am comfortable, but not filthy rich and I don't believe in buying toys on credit.

Edit: A question that I meant to ask in my orginal post;
    Is it my imagination, but I also drove a 575M the other day, it felt heavier, softer and no quicker. I actually preferred the 550 over the 575M. Is this right or was there something wrong with the other car?

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well, she who must be obeyed, must be obeyed.

Tough life when the 550 is the compromise, eh?

Get the 550, and use the saved cash to get a house with a couple of extra garage bays. Then, once settled, and paid up a bit, say 36 months or so, pick up a used Gallardo to fill up one of the spaces.

Good luck, good hunting,

5. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Thanks dave, sound like very sensible advice.

6. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Me, I have a 550. Therefore I am not a good judge other than sayings "GET IT".

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Stephens two totally different cars, the 550 is a Grand Tourer the Gallardo is a Sports Car. I don't think you will go wrong either way. Good luck on which ever you chose.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sounds like you could drive the 550 for free for a while if you get tired of it and sell it down the road. You could put off the Gallardo now and then get into that later with some of the extra change from selling the 550. And, with some of that spare change you can buy something for the wife and the house. Win-win all around. ;)

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    That's exactly right. As a first priority I would decide what type of ride you want. The car will fall out once that question is answered. Best of luck with your decision.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Can you buy the 550, drive it awhile(6mos) and sell for the same as your purchase price? If so, it's a no brainer, get the 550. Buy it just to get it out of your system. Then go to your dealer and buy the Gallardo. You win, Lambo salesman wins.
    Good luck,
    Ed

11. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    ed has a point. the gaudy factor of the hypersuper car look is a bit more of a look at me than anything else. the 550 is going to be neck and neck with the lambo "we put the 'lard' in gallardo"

the driver's comfort and road view are not as impaired as the lambo, the scraping, the parking etc are all easier in the 550. there is also something a bit classier about the 550.

12. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    I think you should just get the one you like better!

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    They're both awesome, I'd take both if I could!

14. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    You can always get another Gallardo. Ask the dealer to sell it for you. At this time the Gallardo is still very much in demand, so the dealer won't mind.

As for the 550, you won't get another one at that price. And when you sell it later, you wont lose, not much if at all.

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If the Gallardo is still hot enough there to command a premium on the open market, take delivery of your car and flip it for a profit. Buy the Maranello, drive it for a while (during which time you carefully keep the wife fully into it while NOT overselling it to the point that she will be soured on the Lambo). Then, when the Gallardos get soft...revisit the, "They are so different that we need both of them," pitch and see if it flies!:) :)

It is a fine line between love and reason. Good luck!!!!

DL

PS... The first thing I did was buy my wife a Schedoni purse that matches the interior of my 550! I don't fight fair.

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Sell the rights to the Gallardo on E-Bay and buy the 550!!