My California Has Arrived! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My California Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Balsamina, Dec 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Congrats. Love the color combo and those seats!

2. jpcourt

jpcourt Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Nice Combo...enjoy!!!

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Outstanding color selection! I love the diamond pattern in the CA's seats.

4. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Really sweet. Mugello is a nicely rich color on the Cali. The spec is quite nice. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Cheers.
    Ray

5. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I've driven 160 miles on urban, rural and highway roads during the 2 dry days I've had the car at home. Initial impressions:

1. When parking, the car feels *much* longer than the 997 (longer hood for the front-mid engine) even though the cockpit is cozier (smaller). When I pull out of the garage with park assist turned on, the car beeps crazy like my kids' Nintendo DS games.

2. Yet when I'm at speed, the car feels comfortable like a broken-in baseball glove - I've quickly gotten acclimated to the steering and throttle response and low speed driving dynamics. The suspension in comfort mode is very nice for stop-go traffic. The sport mode is less bone jarring than the 997's sport mode. I haven't pushed the car hard on corners yet. I plan to break-in the tires a little more.

3. Not sure about the stop-go exhaust note. Since its been chilly, the top has been mostly up and windows shut. The drone coming into the cockpit is mildly irritating to me. But when I've cracked the window open to listen to higher revs, its been great!

5. Haven't hooked up an iPod yet, but the FM sound quality is muddy lame even with treble turned up and bass and midrange adjusted (I didn't upgrade to HiFi package anyway).

6. This is the first car I've had where the kids remarked how nice the inside smells. The fit and finish is top notch. The car feels solidly put together. The diamond seat was comfortable for a 60 min drive.

Overall I'm very pleased so far!

6. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Yes, I also found the drone a bit annoying after a while, but I guess it's all part of the Ferrari experience. I find the engine noise much more pleasing with the top down - one advantage that the Cali has over the 458.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    When backing out of the garage, turn off the front parking sensors with the button that lights up above the mirror when you put it in reverse. It is one extra button to push but it solves the beeping.

8. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    congrats on the new car

9. Cavalier

Cavalier Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Tiburon, Calif.
    Balsamina,

I love this quote below. Any more update a couple of weeks later.

Cavalier

10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    ^^

I've put on another ~300 miles since my last update. About 200 of it was highway commuting to/from work. At 70mph, the engine is turning @ 2600-2700RPM (I last drove it to work Thur so I don't remember exactly), so the gearing makes for less gas mileage. Plus my changing speeds and downshifting to hear the exhaust and vary the RPMs has taken its toll on MPG. The reward of the new car certainly makes up for an otherwise boring drive on the highway after a long day of work. :)

I need to get used to speeders staring at me and drifting in their lane towards me as they go by. I've been very careful about monitoring the speed limit - I programmed the alarm to beep at 75mph and I find it comes up quicker than my 997.2 cabrio. Maybe its because I'm more familiar with the 997 exhaust note and what the corresponding speed is. I have no urge to get a ticket even before I get my license plates, although I did manage to find some speed on a wide, deserted stretch of highway one morning.

The other ~100 miles was weekend suburban roads and going out to Half Moon Bay from the SF Peninsula. The car is very docile in traffic and sure-footed in the twisties going over the Santa Cruz Mountains. It was a blast zooming past slow moving traffic while heading uphill on Hwy 92 and easily taking the corners.

As you know its been cold so I've left the top up. The car feels rock solid with it up. I did have the opportunity to go top down for about 20 miles. It will take a little bit to get used to the creaking and groaning as the hard top retracts, but there was no scuttle shake whatsoever even on bumpy and twisty hilly roads like Hwy 84 (albeit at slower speeds).

I put the gearbox into Auto mode when I reach my neighborhood. As I slow down coming up the hill before I turn onto my street, the gearbox downshifts flawlessly, but the slightly higher revs coupled with a light throttle cause the exhaust to resonate. We live 3/4s of a block from the intersection and my wife tells me she can hear when I take the turn. My driveway has a somewhat steep uphill incline, and I've found the ground clearance is better than the 997 - no nose scraping going up or need to back out of the driveway going down. One slightly odd thing is that as I crest the hill and turn to head into my garage, the gearbox seems to hesitate for a moment, almost like it shifted into neutral or is hunting for something besides 1st gear. I probably need to develop a better level of feathering on the throttle.

Another quirk I need to get used to is making sure the e-brake is engaged. Sometimes when I pull the paddles to select neutral and then pull the brake lever it doesn't engage, which can be disconcerting when I feel myself drifting downhill!

Thanks Rick for the pointer on disabling the park assist. For now I'm leaving it on as I get used to comparing my visual clearance with the assist display.

My kids are 11 and 7 and I will say that the car isn't as roomy for them as the 997, although they report the seats are more comfortable because the backs are at a better angle than the forward tilting backs of the cabrio. Coincidentally, we watched Ferris Bueller and National Treasure 2 this weekend and I was delighted they were excited to realize we had the same marque of car as in the movies. Maybe it was the RC California models that I bought for them that also got them excited.

I'm still very pleased with the car.

Balsamina

11. Cavalier

Cavalier Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Tiburon, Calif.
    That was beautiful. I loved reading the above. Thank-you as I am living vicariously through your posts as I go through the waiting.

12. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Thanks. I enjoy reading others' impressions too.

13. ferr911

ferr911 Karting

Jul 13, 2008
    Planes and hotels :(
    Full Name:
    Wong
    Fantastic and useful review. My cali is due Jun this year and happy that you are enjoying the car as it should be. I have 2 early teens and they were ok being in the backseat of the cali during my last test drive (arnd 30-40 mins). When the roof is up, they like the fact that they could tilt their heads up and see right through the slopping rear glass window into the sky. Like you, I have a 911 cab. Thanks!

14. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Thank you Wong. I saw your specs in the other thread. Congratulations on the order - it will be stunning! Savor the anticipation.

15. ferr911

ferr911 Karting

Jul 13, 2008
    Full Name:
    Wong
    Thanks!  Simon

16. pilotroll

pilotroll Rookie

Jan 9, 2011
    #41 pilotroll, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Traded SLS for calif. like the style, cabin, sound of engine alot better. Ferrari sems more like a sports car. SLS interior is very small and doesn't match the sharp interior of the calif. That's why I traded
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Wong and Balsamina, I am next in line. My car was Jan production and now 2 more weeks it will be done up. I hope to take delivery late Feb and early March. I have been waiting for almost 9 months and had lost much interest in it indeed but I hope to reignite this a bit.

So I shall give my feelings as well. Tonight over dinner, I had spotted a 458 in Modena yellow and the car was beautiful parked beside the white pristine 599 GTB and a Daytona Grey Audi R8. At the present moment, I think I am more than 50% steering towards 60% chance that I am going to order a 458 modena yellow or rosso corsa within the next few weeks. It's just a must have... I know I want one.

18. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    Good move and I am glad I picked Cali over the three pointed star. The 3 pointed star gets the same 0-100 km time despite more torque but nonetheless, it reminds me that no matter what, it is NOT a prancing horse. I was informed by my dealer that 2 of his customers recently traded in the following for a 458 and a Cali. Funny enough, the LP 640 was traded yet it had a difficult time selling... Lamborghini doesn't command the same followings and it has a hard time reselling and it tanks a lot. Another SLS was sold after 1 month with a few hundred KMs and I was told the owner really really found the door's design to be silly. The idea was cool ... sure... for 5 days... Both are bargains now. I'd still stick to Ferrari FWIW and it holds value best. I am glad I never got myself into the alternatives like Audi R8 V10 or Lamborghini or Mercedes. I am just chicken... I wanna have something that has a good marque and holds value well and it is well known that Ferrari does best so far.

http://www.dealer.ferrari.com/italianmotors/used/LAMBORGHINI/Murcielago_LP640/+/16474575
    http://www.dealer.ferrari.com/italianmotors/used/MERCEDES-BENZ/SLS_AMG/+/16787065

Lambo is a bargain... 3650 km after, you saved 1.5-2 mil...

I'd take the LAMBO over a premium 458

19. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Congrats! I like the interior too....:))

20. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    #45 Balsamina, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. red360CS

red360CS Karting

Sep 30, 2005
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
    hooked up my iPhone 4 without any issues. Works great.

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats friend!! Perfect colour combo! :eek::eek:

Enjoy in good health. :):)

23. ferr911

ferr911 Karting

Jul 13, 2008
    Full Name:
    Wong
    I am sure the next 2 weeks of wait will reignite the excitement again. Looking forward to your new toy. Simon 

24. jasonrhcastle

jasonrhcastle Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    Beautiful car. I am at least 10 years away from my first prancing horse (making sure financially everything else is rock solid, and I am only 32), but absolutely stunning vehicle.

One question, why no Scuderia Shields?

Congrats, and happy motoring.

J

25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    mugello is where it is AT!!!

Congrats! Mugello is one of the best shades of reds ever offered on a Ferrari