Mondial T Coupe vs 456 GT (manual) | FerrariChat

Mondial T Coupe vs 456 GT (manual)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dazzling, Jan 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Is this a dumb comparison........or not?

For:
    Both Ferrari's, both 4 seater's, both very affordable

Against:
    Older V Newer (T built from 89-93, 456 in 92-2003), one a V12 the other a V8, One mid engined the other front,

In the US I think the T was only released as a convertible?

I have only seen 1 discussion on this comparison (a Fchat thread from 2004) and would be interested in opinions from those who may have had the opportunity to compare both (drive or own).

Not sure whether to ask the same question in the 456 section?

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    It's an interesting comparison, and one that I'll admit I've considered before (at least, to the extent of what it would be like to own a modern, yet "affordable" Ferrari compared to my old GT4). The conclusion at which I always arrive, though, is this:

I wouldn't own a 456 if it were free AND had $5k in cash in the trunk at delivery.

Why? I'm on a 308 budget - probably always will be. 456 maintenance is just something I don't want to think about at night when I'm trying to go to sleep.

3. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    What is the average price for a 456 GT in good condition?

4. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    When you find that deal, please send the seller my way.

5. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    +1

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    No I know what he means. I really wanted a 456 manual that was for sale here not long ago, but after thinking about it I came back to realize that the Mondial t (even with its engine out service) is really a simple car to maintain and enjoy in comparison with the more complex 456. 456's all seem to have the window issue, and lets talk about the multiple misc control units and their availability for that rather unique car. No to mention pretty much any other exclusive part on the car.

There are a few bits on the Mondial t that are difficult to source reasonably (engine lid release solenoid / center console back lit panel) but nothing that will ruin your day like the mighty 456 has.

I have no doubt I would have enjoyed the 456 that I had picked out - but more than my sorted Mondial t? No.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not knowing the history on either car has its risks but can be considerably higher with the 456.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJZxw8KEgmk[/ame]

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Not in the options here, but I'd go with a Mondi 3.2 or a 550.
    Within your question it would be what you want, very different cars.

What made you chose those two cars?

9. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #9 Dazzling, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Both cars are 4 seaters (550 is not) which is helpful in convincing the wife that a 2nd Ferrari is a good idea and although 456's (early models) are about 20-50% more expensive than a T they are both within my price range. The 456 is more expensive to maintain but I also think you get a lot of car for the money.

I much prefer the looks and performance of a T over the 3.2 (and I own a 348 so there's some familiararity) and it being a more modern vehicle in many ways (pwr steer and better ride) I think I'll have a better chance of the wife letting me buy one (that second Ferrari is a tough call)

10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    If you already have a 348, why get a Mondial Coupe? Go for the cab! A whole different driving experience with the top down.
    Dave

11. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Yeah that's a good point, but I want to use it far more often than I currently do the 348 (it's a GTC and therefore more track than road car, though perfectly useable it's louder and harder) and I don't really want to be opening and closing the roof all the time. I have been living with a convertible M3 for last 5 years so I know how often I will be able (or want) to drive with the roof down and it'll only be about 25% of the time (which is more than I currently drive top down). I think the coupe is the right answer for me.

12. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    #12 lightning, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Ferrparts have the center console back lit panel in stock. (I bought one from them recently) It's not cheap though.

13. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #13 Dazzling, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
    Built up the courage to have the conversation about this topic with the wife last night.

Just as I was leaning toward the T for the reasons mentioned above by a number of posters regarding maintenance costs (thought that would be an easier sell), she says she wouldn't be seen dead in the T (she hates being in my 348) as it looks too "flashy"!!

The 456 on the other hand she likes the look of as it doesn't scream FERRARI, her view was that it looks very classy but could be anything??

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    456 it is! My wife initially wanted a Testarossa but she would settle for a 308/328. I talked her into a Mondi so we could take our daughter along. She is a child of the 80's as am I. Sounds like your wife is 90's. Nothing wrong with that!

Dave

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Holy smokes! Finally a thread that say's the Mondial is flashy/sexy. As matter of fact "too" flashy!

I knew this day would come... I just did not think it would be while I was still young enough to be able to read it. :) :)

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #16 Wade, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Except yellow, you can't get flashier than red...

Mondials look great in other colors as well :)

But... the 456 is one of the most understated of Ferraris (non-red of course).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Yes one of her conditions (and there are a few) is that the car can't be red, I am certain yellow wouldn't work for her either

The mondial I did show her was blue....still too flashy wss her view

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #18 judge4re, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have the older pair. Two very different cars, go drive one of each to see what you feel meets your needs, our opinions will not matter, you're the one going to have to live with the choice.

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    +1!

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I love that video. That dude is wailing on that car...

That said, in twenty-five years of working on Ferraris professionally, I've never seen one do that. Maybe only on the proving grounds???

21. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    My point was skipped over. You can get the best Mondial t Coupe for about £20,000 and a good one for £15,000
    What's the cost of the best 456GT, and how much is an average example?
    The cost would be important to somebody like me. It's no good saying that the 456 is the one to go for, if it's twice the price.

22. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

Don't tell me this, i believe this is one of the problems with the one i'm this close l--l to buying. How bad can this really be?

23. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    It depends on what spares you need. I managed to get everything I needed for mine, although for some of the parts it took a few months.

What parts does it need?

24. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #24 Michael B, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Well... A new solenoid can be as much as $1200.. The new center panel $450? I have purchased them both and think the car is worth it, but the next guy? Maybe not so much? You can find these parts used but I always felt my car deserved new (coming from a guy who just spent thousands on new leather of course). :)