Carrera GTS | FerrariChat

Carrera GTS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rob lay, Jan 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This model looks up my alley. I like the naturally aspirated sportiness. My question is does it have the back seats like the turbo? I'm really a fan of the GT3, but another 2-seater wouldn't make sense for me.

2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Rob, the rear seats are optional. It's really intended to be a 'daily' version of the GT3. I work for Porsche dealer in NJ. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. It's an awesome car. We have one in stock now with the rear seats installed.

3. scuderia513

scuderia513 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2008
    OH
    Full Name:
    TYI
    Yep, just like a regular Carrera.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    please tell me which dealership you are with, but then I will have to ban you. ;) just kidding, I will look your car up.

it is a 997 right and they expect a 997 replacement 2012? Sorry, I don't keep up on much Porsche stuff.

5. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Yep... it's essentially a good way of shifting some of the last 997s out the door. Great car though, spent a week with one back in November.

As others have said, rear seats are optional. Basically, it's halfway between a Carrera S and a GT3. Sporty, but it won't beat you up.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Mr. FerrariChat turns into a Porsche guy!

oh, the irony.... :)

they really are great cars Rob....

7. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    +1

8. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    as others have said its a heavily optioned 911 which includes the "X51" package which gives it an extra 23hp. It is not, however, the same f6 found in the TT and the GT cars.
    The rear seats are only usable for little people.

The upcoming 911, code name 991, is said to be longer w/ more rear space. The speculation is that it will be introduced late in '11 has a '12 model.

9. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    #9 Ferrari0324, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    I will have to take the risk than, haha. I'm with Schneider + Nelson Porsche in West Long Branch, NJ.

If you feel this conversation should be in private because of that, please pm me. I would be happy to give you my phone # and email address.

It is a 997. The 2012's are going to be a completely new car. We haven't received any information the public doesn't know; but it is supposed to be lighter yet longer and wider, with a smaller displaced yet more powerful engine. The GTS is basically a special edition version of the out-going 2011's to use up the remaining inventory, as someone else mentioned. It is a SWEET car though.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC, starting with the 997.2 all cars share the same block...the turbo/GT3/GT2 no longer have the "old" GT1 block, due to emissions and the inability (or cost) of fitting the direct injection.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is an awesome car, then I remember I can grab a GTE for the same. :( We are looking for another daily driver though. just in fantasy land. I hadn't even heard of the GTS and saw a full page ad in a flying magazine of all places.

12. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Rob,

My dad's lease on his M6 was up. He is buying a GTS from our friend Derek from Cresent. He will be bringing is to Cresent this year.

13. triode

triode Rookie

Oct 5, 2009
    Boca Raton, FL
    Nope, the GT cars still have the dry sump Mezger engine. Rumored to be the last of them.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you are correct, the turbo got the new block but the GT2/3 did not. great engine, the thing I miss most about my 996 GT3

15. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    I just bought a GTS with the back seat. While I normally dont like buying a car right before the model changes I am a bit concerned the new 911 will potentially be a step in the wrong direction. Car will be bigger , interior is panamera like which is great for the panamera but not sure for the 911 seems to be going in a more touring car like direction. I hope I am wrong and the new 911 is great but if I am right I think the GTS is the best driving 911 yet w/out going into a gt3/rs which as some have mentioned can be a bit much for just street driving. while many of the recent special edition P cars have been nothing more than a marketing scheme I think you get quite a bit of value in this GTS relative to the MSRP. The closest thing you can get to a sport classic here in the states. I think depreciation should be a little better than a standard c2s becaue there wont be too many of them made but not technically a "limited " car. Mine arrives this week.

16. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cab or Coupe?

17. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    white 6 speed coupe

18. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Am I the only one who pictures a 904 when somebody says "Carrera GTS?"

Maybe I'm just gettin' old...

19. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I'm 25, and i do as well, so its not just you..

20. speedypinoy

speedypinoy Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Scott
    More Porsches! Now Chris "will" have the big one ;) LOL!

21. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I'm 21 and I thought so too, before I clicked on the thread.