Ferrari FF | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Russ H, Jan 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think it looks great. I'd love to own one. It is a bold step and I applaud Ferrari for it.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #527 TheMayor, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
    Very true. It's one of the reason's sculpture CANNOT be accurately critiqued in 2 dimensions.

And what anyone thinks of as good style depends on the time they are standing in. I don't see anyone wearing what they did in the 1870's or the 1970's. No one wears a hat anymore -- male or female. That went out in the 60's after centuries of use.

Sure, you can get a first blush like/dislike of an object from a photo or sketch. And, your reaction may be changed when you finally see it in person and drink in all the details a photo can never reveal.

But the outright venom shown by many posters shows just how limited our imaginations are and how prejudiced our views have become.

With the FF, just like the Testarossa side strakes, you may need to stand a bit in the future to appreciate it.

And, I would like to say that GREAT industrial design... often respected classic industrial design... is not merely "style" but the combination of style and use. To truly appreciate the FF, you may need to be an actual owner. Only then might you understand and appreciate the innovation of the hatch at the rear that to everyone else may appear downright "odd".

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Agreed. Perhaps this car is Ferrari's "Rite of Spring". LOL. When first heard the dissonance of Stravinski's composition caused a riot. A year later it was performed and Stravinski was literally carried through the streets a hero. The point is Art must challenge us. Make no mistake, this is functional art and Ferrari have lost nothing. I want them to challenge me and they know they need to, and with varying degrees on each model. The 458 is almost unanimously praised over it's beauty. It has the least challenge in it's design. This was not by accident. They choose this model in their line to challenge the hell out of us with, not the bread and butter model, a 2+2. The most expensive and least sold standard model. Brilliant. And they've obviously done some homework, someone out there told them they'd like this, and I'll presume it's more than one person, great, here it is.

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Amen. Carve this on some stone tablets and stand at the mountain top.

5. NickM3

NickM3 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Y.
    White, snow tires and a ski rack please.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Or Beethoven or Gropius or Luther for that matter.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #532 TheMayor, Jan 23, 2011
    Or "Citizen Kane" for that matter...

Or the works of Van Gogh for that matter....

Or all the artists who starved in poverty while they lived but whose work sells for millions now for that matter.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This is bringing tears to my eyes. Ferrari are such overlooked geniuses. LOL.

PS: 11k posts. nice.

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't remember where its from or exactly how it goes but there's a line about how for something new to be born a world has to be destroyed. Much like the Phoenix.
    In any case I'm intrigued and can't wait to see the FF.

10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Hell yes.

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    LOL exactly...

You are worth nothing until you die...

geez... whats going to happen to sheblys when the old man keels over (no offense and by no means am I hoping he does in the near future, nor am I trying to derail the thread)

First, Vehemently Denied, Then Ridiculed, then Finally Accepted as Self Evident

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    IMO Shelbys may be the exception to the rule. Their appreciation has already happened. When Carroll passes (many years from now) and the market doesn't skyrocket it will implode.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You know, this even happened to Enzo.

Sure, he was already amazingly famous but when he passed, only then did some realize his true genius. Sure, he was not a designer or an engineer. But, he put the package together of great designers and great engineers like few others could have -- or do today.

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Agreed. If you look at the side view of this car and ignore the hot spot of controversy it is more beautifully and elegantly understated than the 612, 599 or California. Loose the shield distraction and the line from the vent hinting toward the rear fender is amazing. Styling aside, the tech that's on this and what it might mean for delivering gobs of HP (700+) to the ground through a lightweight 4WD system in future models makes my mouth water.

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Its a bit humorous when some of us begrudge Ferrari for operating like some sort commercial entity.
    ;)

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Or trying to listen to what it's customers actually WANT when they buy a particular model. How DARE they!

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Well the company bears some responsibility in that they've crated a veritable cult around the marque for marketing purposes.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #543 TheMayor, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Lets not get carried away here...

There is nothing innovative about the FF's design. They havent broken any new stylistic ground with this car.

People dont like it because its a hatchback/shooting brake. If you smoothed out the back end like someone did in Pshop it pretty much is an evolutionary step from the 612 and most of the haters would go to either liking it or being ambivalent about it.

I myself like the FF as I like shooting brake styling. I think the M Roadster is gorgeous.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I didn't say that. What I said is that it's not what people are thinking it should look like and in that regard, it's innovative.

It's break from the norm and that upsets people.

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #546 anunakki, Jan 23, 2011
    I guess I feel you are using the word 'innovative' incorrectly. Its 'unexpected' but not innovative no matter how you slice it.

But , semantics aside, we agree.

And even when its not a break from the norm people complain. Look at the 599 and 612. Lots of complaints when they debuted but they were simple evolutionary steps from their predecessors.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes, semantics. Perhaps I'm being too abstract. But, I think we agree.

And, I still think the photos are terrible so I can understand why people are reacting. Why Ferrari never releases good photos of a new model I will never know. Not ONE outdoor or 3/4 view?

Give me a break. It's like they want to stir up anger.

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Its the tradition.

24. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Now we're talking :cool:

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think its becuase they don't want to steal too much thunder from it's show debut.

But, I think it's dumb. I think they are better waiting until the show photos and then release their own better ones.