new 355 first impressions and a few questions | FerrariChat

new 355 first impressions and a few questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by PorscheGuy, Jan 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here are my first impressions after owning the car for 24 hours - also a couple of questions:

1. Love the car. I keep walking into the garage just to stare at it.
    2. The Capristo is amazing and I'm very glad I made the purchase. Thanks to everyone who told me to stop being a girl about the noise. The high RPM shriek does freak people out on the road.
    3. After my first drive I found a puddle of transmission fluid under the car which freaked me out. I later learned it was our SUV which just had a transmission rebuild.
    4. Fact - if you are at 8k RPM in 3rd gear and blow by a cop- he will hunt you down. I told him I was trying to listen to the exhaust but that didnt seem to amuse him.
    5. I will post some pics this weekend.

Some questions:
    1. There is a ticking noise right behind the driver seat which sounds like the fuel pump? Is that normal or should there be dead quiet? Its a bit annoying so I wanted to make sure that's normal?

2. This is a GTS car and the top has all kinds of squeaks and creeks. I know this is the nature of a targa - I have a Porsche Targa now. Is there anything that can be done to make that better?

3. I had all kinds of problems starting the car only to find the alarm was on? It seems like the alarm sets itself automatically? I can see some valet at my favorite restaurant coming back and saying he cant start my car. Is this normal behavior - I'm used to no alarm unless you set it manually?

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Congrats! By the way, did the cop let you off or write you a summons?

Ok, I'll take a shot at your questions:

1) Neither my 95 coupe nor my 99 Spider exhibited any ticking noise behind the driver seat. Can you elaborate? When do you first hear it; at what increment do you hear it; is it repetetive according to a pattern or is it haphazard?

2) I don't know -- I'll let the GTS guys chime in;

3) There should be an illuminable red dot right on the center of the dashboard near the air vents. When it is blinking, the alarm is engaged. You need to press the button on your remote prior to attempting to start the engine. The alarm is disengaged when that red dot is solid (not blinking). The alarm engages itself automatically when the engine is off after, I believe, one or two minutes. Even when the car is unlocked, you need to press the key to hear that double beep before attempting to start the car. I recommend reading the owner's manual.

As for the valet, shame on you if you allow any valet to go near your 355!! ;)

3. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Do you get the same feeling looking at your Porsche?

+355. It stays up front or I eat somewhere else....

4. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    as for the squeaks, try some silicone in a spray can. apply liberally to the rubber peices.
    This should help. Can be bought at most auto parts stores.

5. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Its a clicking sound which isnt always the same pattern and doesn't seem to follow the RPM of the car in any way. It sounds like a fuel pump to me. When I first heard it I thought the engine had a knocking noise (like lifters) but then it was more random. You hear it most at idle and very low RPM. I asked the Ferrari shop when the 30k was done and they said its something the F1 cars have and didn't seem too worried. Unless someone has an idea I will probably take it up to Norwood and have them listen to it. I may just be paranoid but it doesn't sound right to me.

6. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The best description I can come up with - it sounds like birds chirping.

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have an F1 and no noises of any kind- I'd probably investigate it a little further.

A little WD-40 on a rag applied to the rubber only will eliminate many of the squeaks of the Targa- I used to do my 328 once a week.

Let's see some pics!!

+1 on the exhaust- I have a Quicksilver Stage 3 and my wife can hear me about 1/2 mile away!

8. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks - will do.

9. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    +1.
    Pedro's Ice works quite well.....I learned that from my 993 days. ;)

Birds chirping?? Now that doesn't sound right. Could it be the belt? or tensioner?

Didn't you just had major done on your car before arriving??

10. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep. All belts were done - doesnt sound like that. Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Going to have to take it in.

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If you don't want to get WD40 or Silicone spray all over---Try a very thin coat of vaseline on the Targa top weatherstripping----It will last for months and months.....

12. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Ticking noise may be exhaust header or flange.
    Squeaking roof, try adjusting the clips so that they are tighter and lubricate rubber seals.
    not sure about the alarm i think it sets itself if left unlocked without keys in ignition.

13. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    F1 cars don't tick....but you will hear the pump spinning before you start it.

Alarm is a PIA...

Most common cause of a ticking noise is a cracked header, which is a very common failure mode. Aftermarket headers fix the problem permanently and cost thousands less than oem.

After 4 yrs I still peek in the garage just to see her sitting there!!! :D

14. 355azul

355azul Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Austria
    Sorry to contradict but this is not true. It always rearms after some minutes.
    My first time I really noticed went like this:
    I was at friends with my wife. When we left I got into my 355. Got the key in and disarmed the alarm. But I did not start the engine because my wife kept chatting and chatting and ... you know.
    ;)
    So when finally she was set to go I turned the key and: Nothing!
    I turned again and: Nothing!
    My first thought was OhMyGod - it's broken!
    Only a few seconds later I put 1 and 1 together and noticed that the alarm was on again.

One more info on the alarm: to be more precise there are two features of the 355 alarm:
    1) Alarm - should "go off" aka "make loud noise" if someone messes with the car
    2) block ignition - stays silent but will not let you start the engine

hope that helps!

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I got this one.....NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. jimiguy

jimiguy Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2010
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Shaw
    IMO 303 Aerospace Protectant works much better than WD-40, silicone or Vaseline and it wont harm the plastic and rubber parts.

Jim

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    PG- The immobilizer in your car automatically arms itself. If you use the remote to unlock the door, disarm the alarm and immobilizer and do not start your car, the immobilizer will rearm after 120 seconds. If you are driving the car and stop and shut down, the immobilizer will arm itself 60 seconds after you remove the key and open the door. Once the immobilizer is armed, the engine will turn over, but will not start. You have to press the remote button one more time to disarm the immobilizer. There should be an alarm manual with your owners manual that explains the system.

If your alarm manual is missing, which it usually is, go to this url and download the 355 workshop manual, which also explains alarm system operation. Might come in handy for other things, as well.

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Downloads.htm

Taz
    Terry Phillips

18. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    I keep peeking in my garage, hoping a 355 has magically appeared there. Just checked. None yet.

19. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Birds chirping?

Maybe it's a pully bearing going bad?

Kai

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You can try tightening the latches for the top.

On my 348 I loosened the screws holding the latches to the top, then slid out a coupe of shims, and re tightened the screws. It's easiest with the top off. Then I refitted the top and latched it in place, nice and snug.

You will always get squeaks not matter how tight the top is because of body flex, but you can make it a little bit better.

21. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Porscheguy, do a search for threads talking about the alternator belt tensioner pulley and pulley bearing. You'll also find a post from me in one of them where my technician was able to pinpoint the high pitched squeal/chirp to the PS hose fitting rubbing on the PS pump bracket. I would have never guessed that one.

22. 355BOY

355BOY Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    the North
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "BIRDS CHIRPING"

This is the bearings either going or gone on the drivers side radiator fan, I would definately say its this. mine cost £300 to fix, parts and labour, I basically fitted a complete new fan assembly.

23. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Me too! :D

24. PorscheGuy

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That sounds very logical. Question - I thought that fan only comes on when the temp exceeds 195? Is that the fan you are talking about or another?

25. Bråkis

Bråkis Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    Sweden
    #25 Bråkis, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually, chirping birds is a common issue when it comes to new ownership of a nice car.

I had exactly the same problem when I had bought my Porsche 996 4S...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login