Questions concerning F430 Scuderia maintenance | FerrariChat

Questions concerning F430 Scuderia maintenance

Discussion in '360/430' started by vhayne, Jan 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vhayne

vhayne Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    High Point, NC
    #1 vhayne, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
    Coming from the Lamborghini forums, I am sure these types of questions are quite common and drive you guys nuts seeing them all the time (I'm in the process of searching this forum now for the answers), but I could really use your help.

I am considering a purchase of an '09 Scud, and I'm curious about the maintenance costs. I was originally looking into a Gallardo Superleggera, and found that they are somewhat "okay" when it comes to a "daily driver". I suppose my main concerns are how does the Scud compare to the SL in this area?

I don't intend on using it as your typical daily driver. But I intend on driving it as much as possible. Am I looking at any insane costs (for example, the Carrera GT's clutch replacement - 25k, or the F355's "engine out service" evern 5k)?

The actual costs don't frighten me. It's the frequency of the possible intervals that could be an issue. If anyone could shed some light in this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

PS: Incase your wondering why I'm considering the Scud...well, I drove it today, and it was an incredible experience. It has made me rethink my options, and I'm starting to veer away from the superleggera.

2. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I have a regular F430 coupe and the maintenance is not really a problem. With the 09 you also get your factory warranty so the major stuff(excluding the brakes/clutch/other wear and tear items) is covered. I don't drive mine everyday and certainly not here in the winter in NJ. A buddy of mine has the superleggera and to be honest it just has way too much suede. I also think that the driving position is too far back. The scud/SL are comps but the Ferrari is a better car. Maybe I'm biased.

Have you driven both? You may find the driving position I mentioned a problem. Both cars have pretty bad blind spots due to the shapes. The Lambo also feels very german, like a beefed up audi. As a DD that may be better. You also get the quattro AWD, another point to consider.

I'm sure you wont be disappointed with either but this is FChat, so you may be directed more towards the scud. Good luck and be sure to get back with the details, even if you buy the audi...I mean Lambo.

3. vhayne

vhayne Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    High Point, NC
    Thanks for the reply. I have not driven the SL yet. Actually, it's one of the reasons I'm considering the Scud...the overall purchasing experience has been ALOT better at the Ferrari dealership than the Lamborghini dealer.

On my first day at Ferrari, I had multiple salesmen insisting that I take a seat in the Scud, they started it up, and did a complete walkaround with me, showing me every nook and cranny on the car.

I have yet to even TOUCH one of the Lambos. I'm sure I could have sat in one, had I asked. But it was a test mostly, to see if the salesman really wanted the sale. Nothing was offered, even when I tried to explain to him that I was strongly considering a Scuderia just down the street.

For the record, I have driven an '04 Gallardo and a Ferrari 360 (both F1) back-to-back, and I actually preferred the "feel" of the Ferrari over the Lambo. After driving the Scud today, that feeling came back. It really feels great.

Funny you mention "too much suede" though. Both cars are packed FULL of alcantara and carbon fiber. Hehe. I think it's beautiful. As far as this site being biased, that's ok too. I WANT to be sold on the Scud actually. The Lambo can come at another time down the road. I do prefer the looks of the SL over the Ferrari, but the price of the Scud comparatively wins out.

4. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Im happy that the Ferrari experience was a good one. Maybe it was a first impression I had with the SL regarding the suede but it seems less overpowering in the Scud. As far as looks I also prefer the Scud and I'm not being biased here. The SL, like all other Gallardos looks very squatty and too short. Buy the Scud and report back with pictures after you run out of gas from excessive driving!

5. vhayne

vhayne Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    High Point, NC
    Haha, will do. I'm quite excited actually. It's going to be a little while however. Have to place a deposit, and it will take approximately another month to gather up the rest of the down payment. I also want to have it completely covered in protective film and the windows tinted. Finally, I want to have the radar dectector thing installed by the dealership. So that will all take a few days.

One thing I could really use though is some advice on a good stereo with navigation. I've just begun my search on it, but so far, I'm not coming up with anything other than cheap Jensens. Need something that will fit in that little area above the AC controls.

Also, since the Scud doesn't come with a stereo, I would guess it doesn't have any speakers installed either. Any recommendations are welcome.

I would expect to not be using the stereo much for quite a while, as the engine sound alone is plenty. But from time to time, I like to listen to some stuff. It would be nice to at least have the option.

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I can help with the clear bra details. I did some research and they do differ quite a bit. Your profile doesn't say where you are located, but if you are close to NJ/NY I'll PM you some info about where to get it done.

As far as the stereo goes, you seriously wont be hearing much of it. I have seen some scuds with stereo options. I'm not sure if its a regular F430 fitted unit to the Scud or a real factory option. I'm sure that a "from new" owner could tell you. Even in my regular F430 I can barely hear it. The Scud is louder and cannot imagine any type of speakers that would produce sound over the insane V8 on your back. I was thinking about window tint myself as I have it on my truck. It is beyond helpful with heat and sun-glare. Depending on where you live the cops might be ball busters about it, they certainly are here in NJ but thats because any tint on the front windows is illegal.

p.s. I'm not sure if you were referring to all scuds not having stereos or just the one you happened to be looking at. I will attach some photos of a Scud stereo unit.

7. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    #7 HH11, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Most Scuds came with radios from the factory. A few Scuds were delivered with the radio deleted. The radio can be removed afterwards, so you should check the vehicle's VIN and build sheet to determine whether that car should come with a radio. Scuds with radios are more common than Scuds without.

9. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    vhayne,
    where are u located?

10. vhayne

vhayne Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    High Point, NC
    Ahh, it's nice to wake up to so many helpful replies. Thanks guys. :)

To answer your questions...I live in NC. The car in question is practically new (less than 700 miles). The owner (car is on consignment), is a collector with a few other "extreme" cars.

As for the clear bra, the actual brand that Ferrari (and Lamborghini for that matter) are recommending to me is "Clear Defense". They both have tried to steer me away from 3M, as apparently they have a guy that comes around to the dealerships that would be doing the work, and supposedly he's great. I know it might sound nuts, but I want the entire car covered in this film. The reason being, it's black. Black shows too many imperfections after being driven a couple of times, and I'm afraid of washing the car myself. I have a fear of the swirl marks hehe. So I decided, let's just cover it all in the film, that way I can feel comfortable about washing it myself.

As for the radio, I haven't looked into this issue with the car very deeply just yet. We're still in the beginning stages of negotiations, and it just hasn't been discussed much yet. The car is stock, as far as I know, and without radio (Ferrari plate above AC controls). I have seen pictures of Scuds with Ferrari branded radios in them, and I discovered last night that it was an option for Scuds, as well as speakers.

As far as actually hearing the music, I can definately see your point. When those valves open up, I would seriously doubt if you could hear anything other than that sweet engine. But I noticed, just crusing down the highway, or at a stoplight, the valves are closed, and the exhaust is much quieter. So I believe if you just wanted to take it easy and relax (definatley not what this car is designed for haha, but still), you could probably hear the music.

11. joba

joba Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    NY
    "I know it might sound nuts, but I want the entire car covered in this film. The reason being, it's black. Black shows too many imperfections after being driven a couple of times, and I'm afraid of washing the car myself. I have a fear of the swirl marks hehe. So I decided, let's just cover it all in the film, that way I can feel comfortable about washing it myself. "

I would advise against doing the entire car. In fact I would do as little as possible. Its easier to mar the film than scratch the paint. Its also more difficult to remove fine scratches from the film. Learn to wash your car the proper way and you will have no problem. Good Luck.

12. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Yes. You probably shouldn't have the 'whole' car done. I have the front bumper, half hood, mirrors, A pillar, gas cap, door handles, and side skirts. I know that sounds like the entire car but if you mean doors, rear bumper, and top I wouldn't bother. The main areas that get hit are the front. If you want to cover it thats your choice. When I was having mine installed they told me that the more you cover isn't linear dollar wise. The real cost is in the labor and application. After all, its only tape.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you go to this site, you can download a Scuderia owners manual and maybe find a few more reasons to love it.

http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Downloads.htm

As a practical matter, the Scud has the F430's chain drive for the cams, so no belt changes required, and hydraulic lifters, so no valve adjustments. It also has the last iteration of F1 software for the V8s, which is quick, smooth (except for 8000+ rpm shifts, pow), and relatively easy on the clutch.

You are really only looking at fluid and filter changes annually and auxiliary belts (easy job) every three years. Plus new tires occasionally since the Corsas are sticky as all get out, but wear quickly. So annual maintenance is only around $1000 per year plus tire cost and the Scuds have been very reliable. With a three year warranty, you should be set for a while.

As you have discovered, Foreigh Cars Italia is a great dealership, and I have heard nothing but kudos concerning them.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. vhayne

vhayne Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    High Point, NC
    Thanks everyone. All of your advice and answers have been great. Downloading that manual right now.

I have another silly question, but still one of concern. If my wife and I want to take a drive out to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and spend the day cruising around, is there any special care I need to be aware of? For example, do I need to stop every 30min - 1 hour and let the car cool off for a bit? Are there any commonly known "no-no's" that I should be advised on, for example, some people don't realize that you don't ever want to rev a cold engine, etc.

15. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Sorry but your question makes me really smiling :D ! I think you'll need more a stop to cool off after driving such a great car as the F430 for a while ;-) Don't worry, the F430 won't break or overheat...Just use this car as you would do with any car, after a cold start, just go smoothly without revving over 3000/3500 rpm for the first minutes. When the oil pressure is at minimum at idle, you are ready to have fun...
    Stef

16. APPLECO1

APPLECO1 Rookie

Dec 18, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    In my car I listen to the radio all the time,the system could use some upgrading but that is not why I have the car. I am positive you will enjoy the scud,especially if you are over 5'10" as the SL is not very legroomy for taller ppl.

17. vhayne

vhayne Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    High Point, NC
    I'm 6'1, 200lbs. Didn't have any problems with comfort so far. :)

Ok, I have another question for you guys if you're willing.

Launch Control. I have heard that on some cars, using LC will seriously burn up your clutch quickly. Not sure if it was over exaggerated or not, but I've heard "using it 3 times and you'll be ready for a new clutch". I can't remember which car that was in reference to though.

So my question is simple. Can we use LC on the Scud without fear of ruining your clutch too fast? Or would be using it just asking for a trip to the shop?

When I asked the salesman, he replied that I'd never "need" to use it. While I wouldn't argue with him on that, it would still be fun as hell to use, especially when you want to show it off to your friends.

18. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Will kill the clutch I'm afraid to say! (so I'm told).

19. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    +1
    It will kill the clutch. I think that 3 may be very conservative but I wouldn't push it. The amount of force that goes through the clutch more than likely will burn it out very quickly.

20. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    The Scuderia doesn't have Launch Control in the U.S. market. It actually launches pretty easy and slow with no wheelspin. It can't kill the clutch because it is slow off the line.

21. APPLECO1

APPLECO1 Rookie

Dec 18, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    Who says there isnt a LC feature in the US? Mine has it and the clutch is working just fine after using it a bunch..The display reads "L1" after holding in left paddle for 3 seconds then hold on,its actually dangerous and fun. But he is right the car is not fast off the line,tires wanna spin even at 80mph