anyone race a boxster here ? | FerrariChat

anyone race a boxster here ?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by henryr, Jan 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    looking a getting a track car........... need some help

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC there is a member who races a Boxster in PCA somewhere in TX. maybe post in the TX subforum?

they had a garage at one of the MSR facilities, I think.

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Surely it's not a good idea to be racing (not just lightly tracking) a convertible? :confused:

What about a Cayman instead? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #4 GuyIncognito, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    they have full cages and hardtops.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well, that's not as bad as I'd imagined - but surely a Cayman with a cage would be better. I've got to believe an integrated roof is better than a clip-on.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. LarryF

LarryF Karting

May 28, 2008
  7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    as Larry points out there are Cayman series as well, but they are more expensive and (from what I know, at least) have smaller car counts.

since the Boxster has been out for over a decade, you can get a cheap car and still be competitive within its class.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 S Brake, Jan 5, 2011
  9. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    boxster spec (prepped for racing) is very popular. No need to go for a cayman unless there are other reasons to do so.

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yeah... no cayman... i'm looking at fun / $$ factor. something to do DE but have options in PCA-NASA-SCCA.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    where are you located? I'm looking at something similar eventually. although I'm looking more at 911s (964/996). would be fun to meet up at a track event someday...

check out the racing subforum at rennlist for more info, and there's lots of cars for sale in the member's classifieds (I think membership is like $20). if you're serious about tracking/racing a Porsche that's the place to be.

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'm in atlanta. i'm over there just snooping

13. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    I have tracked many Boxsters. They are a lot of fun and with a little add-ons very quick.
    If you are just building a track car most groups such as PCA and BMWCCA require additional
    safety pieces for such as arm restraints and additional roll over protection.

Good luck with your choice just make sure to research the groups you are planning on running with and always safty first.

14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

Get a Miata.

15. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    That's funny.The owner of that is on a boxster forum I belong to.

16. testdrv321

testdrv321 Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Newman
    Its all about dollars. Spec Miata is the entry point, spec Boxster next and Cayman just under a Cup car. ALso keep in mind the cost to campaign if you are going to race. Not including collisions, a Cayman will cost you about $25k a year to race based on what I spend on my 996.

Ed

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do you know his name? I'm pretty sure he's a relative of my neighbor.

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I realize it's not what you're asking for, but you might consider looking into the Cayman Interseries in HSR. It's being run out of Napleton Porsche ( http://www.napletonmotorsports.com/services.html ). The last time I did an HSR race, they had a pretty good turn out. Could be fun.

CW

19. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    #19 lovespeed, Feb 7, 2011
    I built this boxster Jan 2009.
    I have been racing it for 2 years.
    It has been very reliable.

for 2009 I was racing with POC (Porsche Owners Club).
    for 2010 I was racing more with NASA.

This is a very fun car to race.
    The spec series is very challenging.
    The rules are very specific to control cost.

A winning car that's fully tuned (suspension and engine) costing $37k.

A competitive car $30k.

A BSR racecar to start with can be built or purchased for around $25k.

The racing series is growing nationally. Especially here in SoCal, NoCal, and Texas.

PM me if you'd like to chat. I'll email you my personal phone number.
    I'd be glad to talk about my personal experience with you.

here's the 2011 spec rules

http://boxsterspec.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/2011-986-boxster-spec-rules5.pdf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. txhansen

txhansen Karting

Nov 30, 2003
    Highland Village, TX
    Full Name:
    Rich Hansen
    Like the previous post, I have been running a Spec Boxster for a few years now. The car has been very reliable and affordable to run. Faster than a Spec Miata with a bit more power. I started in Spec Miata and found the desire for a little more power without breaking the bank and this has fit it very well. I have also seen almost no arms race in the class which I clearly could not say about Spec Miata. Will it start, hard to say but so far I am encouraged. Key in any racing for me is to have cars to race with and in TX we have over 20 cars to we usually get a good showing for our events (mostly PCA). NASA has the class but not really caught on with the guys in TX so far in this class.

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yeah but guys we drive Ferrari's so we don't have to drive P-bugs. Why would you want to drive one now? That boxster is S L O W. I love it when people say my car is a momentum car. Only slow car drivers say that. Even with lots of horsepower every car is a momentum car. To me nothing is more boring than say autoclub speed way on the banking with my foot on the floor waiting to get to the infield turn. It is so much more fun to be at 150 and have to feather the throttle unless you want to end up in the wall and then have to have killer brakes to woahhhh you down to dive into the infield. If I wanted to take a snooze I'd just ride my hammock.

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Pretty funny, FBB. Pretty funny. I will admit going down the front straight at TWS in a SM does give you some time to decompress. You can look at the funny clouds or the girls in the crowd. Of course, at TWS, you upshift into 5th right before you dive bomb T1. Things get interesting after that.

Frankly, though, it was a blast driving Vettes at Bondurant. I could see where they would make a great T1 car.

Dale

23. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Decompress? What is that? When I get out of my T1 car after a good race my mouth is parched, heart rate high enough that I'm catching my breath and my legs are a little shakey. I thought that if this did not happen you weren't going fast enough. IMO the only thing that make SM fun is that they are so cheap you can bumper car with them but if I want to do that I'd just go to K1 speed.

24. foodracer

foodracer Rookie

Nov 3, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian Jacobs
    X2, the cost of running a SM is only $250 per hour including a refresh on the motor. you can race one in NASA or SCCA and 40 other cars to race with any given weekend.

The Boxster is great, I love them, but where are you going to race it and how many cars are in the field?

25. Savoy6

Savoy6 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2007
    Lago Vista, Tx
    Full Name:
    John
    cant you pick up a 06-07 z06 for about the same money? i would think that would be alot more fun than a porsche to drive.